Nugget Shooter Forums

weird stone with layers that looks like wood what is it?

3 minutes ago, rinke11 said:

IMG_20200627_234136.jpg

IMG_20200627_234151.jpg

I have had this stone for many years I remember I had 2 of them (the other looked less nice) and I cracked 1 open and it was from the inside all white crystal just like you see at the cracks in this one 

anyone got an idea what kind of stone this is?

That is one beautiful stone! 

I'm sure this is a fault breccia (rocks broken into small fragments by a moving crack in the ground (fault), then fragments were re-cemented together (the gray lines through the rocks).  Later erosion broke a part off of the large rock  mass and water rounded the broken piece into the beauty that you collected. 

Thanks for sharing with us!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 4meter said:

That is one beautiful stone! 

I'm sure this is a fault breccia (rocks broken into small fragments by a moving crack in the ground (fault), then fragments were re-cemented together (the gray lines through the rocks).  Later erosion broke a part off of the large rock  mass and water rounded the broken piece into the beauty that you collected. 

Thanks for sharing with us!

wow sounds facinating but you are sure its a fault breccia because I looked for images and they look like a whole different stone and the gray lines are not gray in real life they are white and look like white crystal

6 hours ago, rinke11 said:

wow sounds facinating but you are sure its a fault breccia because I looked for images and they look like a whole different stone and the gray lines are not gray in real life they are white and look like white crystal

It can happen to any stone, and can be cemented with virtually any mineral. Pressures on the stone cause it to crack. Mineral laden water seeps through, leaving behind whatever mineral it was carrying, which cements the pieces back together. 

• Like 1
On 6/29/2020 at 3:01 PM, d_day said:

It can happen to any stone, and can be cemented with virtually any mineral. Pressures on the stone cause it to crack. Mineral laden water seeps through, leaving behind whatever mineral it was carrying, which cements the pieces back together. 

okay thanks for the answer

Hi today i found this rock. 

This is a broken piece , so i take photo from inside and outside. 

Maybe if you cut it your rock looks similar.

P1010001.JPG

P1010003.JPG

20 hours ago, ivigo said:

Hi today i found this rock. 

This is a broken piece , so i take photo from inside and outside. 

Maybe if you cut it your rock looks similar.

P1010001.JPG

P1010003.JPG

wow thats a beautiful looking rock but your outside look realy different than mine still thanks for sharing!

• Like 1