Nugget Shooter Forums
Bedrock Bob

Black Lights Matter

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Scorpion hunting with my toddler...

He caught a fly and was going for another.

Video.mov 2.68 MB · 4 downloads

Bob, Great Video!  Neat the way he stashed  the fly ! It brings back memories. A lot of people don't know you can hunt scorpion's with a black light. A number of years back my wife and I got really into fluorescent minerals and had bought a cheap black light at the Tucson gem show. Soon found a professional model that would really do the job  with dual modes. Someone told me about a place that had forsecents west of Gila Bend . We found it and found some good stuff including some of the biggest scorpions I had found until then. I haven't been there in years so I don,t know if its still open but if anyone likes fluorescents it is about 3 or 4 miles west of the junction of  HWY 84 and I-8 . There is a exit there, take the  old road to the south, there's an old concrete slab that is the remains of the old I-8 construction camp. Follow that road to the south a ways and start hunting. This road appears on the map now heading toward the Table Top Wilderness area. If anyone checks this out  let us know if it is still available. I sold lots of them at the Yuma rock shows in those days.You will see lots of UFOS at night also. PS: I made paperweights out of the scorpions with resin, good flea market item.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing, cool video it's awesome to see how fast the scorpion is, i had no idea they caught flys. 

• Like 1

The thing that creeps me out the most about scorpions is how fast they move.  :WOW:

Do you think the flies were attracted to the black light?  Or just a lot of flies that night?

Cool video Bob.

• Like 1

Very  cool Bob! We will have to try doing that as I have not seen a scorpion with our light yet. They sure are fun to use, though.  We always take ours camping whenever possible. I picked up some chalcedony and calcite on a meteorite searching trip at Franconia, AZ and tried them out on my mineral light with some pretty nice results.

The red ones are calcite and the green ones are chalcedony.

9669EDB9-C88B-41FB-B05D-8FD37818ACA0.jpeg27AA8F35-DCFF-43B7-B904-E4BE974D3775.jpeg

• Like 2

There were flies and moths all over. It was one of those nights after a 104 degree day that everything came out to play. 

The black light attracts a certain type of moth for sure. But not every bug like a regular light. It is strange and I have not quite figured it out yet. Some things see that light and some do not.

The scorpions light up like a neon sign but they don't seem to be bothered with it. If you shine a regular light on them they get nervous and hide. 

We went out last night and saw a dozen or so. Here in the Chihuahuan desert they are pretty small. You hardly ever see one in the desert. Only around footings, under rocks and boards. But the black light shows they are all over the place and you just don't know it.

We saw one big one and she had several tiny ones around her. Obviously a mama. And I saw a couple that were tiny like a mustard seed. Little neon specks crawling around.

Im hunting them in several different places. In Arroyo, on ridges, in sand and in gravel. Around the footings of the house and wood piles. So far the ridges on gravel in the open desert have had the most. 

You would think they would be down under the bushes in the arroyos and in thicker cover. But so far that theory has not been correct. They seem to be up on the barren open ridges with only sparse creosote growing. 

We flipped over a lot of rocks and found one. Most were on rocks at the base of little creosote. And several were just walking around on bare desert pavement in the open. All were on gravel areas where they could dive down between rocks for cover. We have not seen one in fine sand or gravel. Only in gravel big enough to have some voids in and around it for cover.

I am going to hunt around my house tonight. At the edges of slabs and footings. Around rock walls and wood piles. I see lizards hunting them in those spots so im going to see if I can find a few on the property. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

There were flies and moths all over. It was one of those nights after a 104 degree day that everything came out to play. 

The black light attracts a certain type of moth for sure. But not every bug like a regular light. It is strange and I have not quite figured it out yet. Some things see that light and some do not.

The scorpions light up like a neon sign but they don't seem to be bothered with it. If you shine a regular light on them they get nervous and hide. 

We went out last night and saw a dozen or so. Here in the Chihuahuan desert they are pretty small. You hardly ever see one in the desert. Only around footings, under rocks and boards. But the black light shows they are all over the place and you just don't know it.

We saw one big one and she had several tiny ones around her. Obviously a mama. And I saw a couple that were tiny like a mustard seed. Little neon specks crawling around.

Im hunting them in several different places. In Arroyo, on ridges, in sand and in gravel. Around the footings of the house and wood piles. So far the ridges on gravel in the open desert have had the most. 

You would think they would be down under the bushes in the arroyos and in thicker cover. But so far that theory has not been correct. They seem to be up on the barren open ridges with only sparse creosote growing. 

We flipped over a lot of rocks and found one. Most were on rocks at the base of little creosote. And several were just walking around on bare desert pavement in the open. All were on gravel areas where they could dive down between rocks for cover. We have not seen one in fine sand or gravel. Only in gravel big enough to have some voids in and around it for cover.

I am going to hunt around my house tonight. At the edges of slabs and footings. Around rock walls and wood piles. I see lizards hunting them in those spots so im going to see if I can find a few on the property. 

A movie or photo of the mom with baby scorpions would be great!  

• Like 1

We saw lots of minerals react to the light. Fungus too. And the root bark of nopal glows red. I think it is fungus on the root. 

One type of moth attracted to the light is brilliant blue. 

Some rocks absorb the light and are coal black. But in regular light are light colored volcanic. It is strange how some things glow brilliantly and other things absorb the light.

It is a lot like metal detecting. You get a positive or a negative response. Only instead of sound it is light.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GotAU? said:

A movie or photo of the mom with baby scorpions would be great!  

Photos are weird. My digital camera is useless. It will not focus without the flash. But my son's phone camera takes good pictures. 

I am going to have to figure out how to get some photos. The scorpions do strange stuff. Two will hold hands and dance around. Sometimes they move quick and jump and other times they lay flat and freeze. They are strange critters.

They will snag moths and sting them. Super aggressive and they drive that stinger in like they mean it. Sometimes they carry a bug in their pinchers and other times in their mouth. Sometimes they are coiled up and other times they are all laid out and relaxed. 

It is pretty fascinating. Im having a good time learning something new. 

• Like 1

Too bad lead and brass vs gold doesn’t react to UV! That would’ve made the ultimate discrimination tool.

You and your kid’s  observations of scorpions are great way to share, good job!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Too bad lead and brass vs gold doesn’t react to UV! That would’ve made the ultimate discrimination tool.

You and your kid’s  observations of scorpions are great way to share, good job!

I wonder if there is a different kind of light that would react to gold.  :idea:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

I wonder if there is a different kind of light that would react to gold.  :idea:

Like X-Rays? That could do it, it’s how XRF guns work by measuring florescence using x-rays instead of UV.  

And the newest from Minelab, the GPXRF 8000 has one built into the coil!  :rolleyes: I wish...

Edited by GotAU?
  • Haha 1

Hey Slim!

Regular sunlight does a pretty decent job at differentiating gold from lead and brass doesn't it?

I use only the purest sunlight and a set of special glasses. It makes the gold appear yellow and the lead dull grey. Silver appears as a white metal and copper a red toned metal. Brass shows up as a brassy yellow.

I have used these special glasses and distilled sunlight to differentiate and locate metals for years. You can get a pair of glasses at Wel Mart for ten bucks and I will custom make a sunlight purifier for you for the low price of $1000. That will enable you to use light to differentiate metals too!

• Hmmmmmm 1

Here is that scorpion dried and mounted on a piece of cholla. My friend is going to copper plate it for me.

20200718_114936.jpg

Im headed into surgery again tomorrow. I'll be down for a couple weeks. This should be finished by the time I am back on my feet. I'll post a photo when it is plated.

I realize this post isn't about gold. I'm hoping it does not offend anyone. If my little non-prospecting posts are not suitable for this section of the forum just delete them. I don't want to start trouble. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Here is that scorpion dried and mounted on a piece of cholla. My friend is going to copper plate it for me.

20200718_114936.jpg

Im headed into surgery again tomorrow. I'll be down for a couple weeks. This should be finished by the time I am back on my feet. I'll post a photo when it is plated.

I realize this post isn't about gold. I'm hoping it does not offend anyone. If my little non-prospecting posts are not suitable for this section of the forum just delete them. I don't want to start trouble. 

Ewww. Big pincers and fat tail- that’s one of the nasty ones, Bob! Don’t get stung by one of those fellas. We just have the little bee stinger ones over here, you can keep those over there if you don’t mind.

good luck on your surgery, I’m going in for a sinus job in a couple weeks too. :cry2:

• Thanks 1

Do you know what your friend uses to pre coat the bugs with before he copper plates them? 

Have your friend spray it with clear laquer as soon as it is dry from plating. Other wise it will tarnish real fast! 

Here is a pic of a part I did last night. Gets some funky colors on it but they it starts looking like a old penny.

Good luck on your surgery....hope all goes well.

Tom H. 

SAM_3449.JPG

• Thanks 1

Good luck on the surgery Bob. I hope it goes well and you heal quickly.

Barry

• Thanks 1

Hope your surgery goes well!

That fellow looks great Bob, real life like, are you going to copper plate the cacti as well?

As I stated in the locked topic any old topics in this section will remain.....but this topic does fit very well in the hobby section, if you like I could move it there, leaving a link to the topic here in this section, up to you?

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, TomH said:

Do you know what your friend uses to pre coat the bugs with before he copper plates them? 

Have your friend spray it with clear laquer as soon as it is dry from plating. Other wise it will tarnish real fast! 

Here is a pic of a part I did last night. Gets some funky colors on it but they it starts looking like a old penny.

Good luck on your surgery....hope all goes well.

Tom H. 

SAM_3449.JPG

She uses a spray graphite preparation. Im not sure what kind. She just started using it recently. She used a copper paint prior to that.

I don't do electroforming (yet) but I have finished lots of copper jewelry.

I do a Liver of Sulphur patina on some and a verdigris patina using sea salt and ammonia fumes. I like the verdigris a lot. It is black and azure blue. 

After I patina them I use paste wax. It pretty much stabilizes the finish. But things do change over time.

I have done a few copper pieces with a bright copper finish. I used brushing lacquer to seal them. It works O.K. but it leaves a gloss finish. The lacquer works good on the verdigris finish. It is a bit fragile and the lacquer glues it down tight to the copper. 

A buddy of mine who is also a member here is getting a tank set up. He will be trying things out soon. Im hoping he can get his process perfected so we can do a bunch of stuff. We have kicked around a lot of ideas.

The surgery sucks. I had a big wad of hernia mesh removed in February. I was feeling great. I ate a couple guys for dinner and wrestled a wild hog I felt so good. But the surgery weakened a spot in my super human abdomen. I blew out a gut and have been limping along for a couple months. I have to toss guys on their ass using only my right hand now. If I use my left side to rip their arms off I pooch out like a balloon.

I have a Jamaican cowboy with a super sharp pocket knife that is going to sew a piece of chicken wire in there tomorrow.

Hopefully it holds. I have had three surgeries down there and there is not much left to patch up. Kinda like an old rotten ATV tire that keeps blowing out. 

Fourty five years mucking gravel over my right knee with a #2 shovel has taken its toll.

I'll be dangerous as hell in a couple weeks. Cannibalistic again in a month. I have a big muzzle loader hunt coming up in late October that will require the use of all three testicles and I hope I am up for it.

Getting old sucks. But it beats the alternative. Im getting a lot sneakier though. So im hoping that will make up for it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Hope your surgery goes well!

That fellow looks great Bob, real life like, are you going to copper plate the cacti as well?

As I stated in the locked topic any old topics in this section will remain.....but this topic does fit very well in the hobby section, if you like I could move it there, leaving a link to the topic here in this section, up to you?

It is up to you Skip. Im fine with it if you are. 

Yes, the entire piece will be plated. The cholla looks sweet in copper. It really brings out the texture in that cactus fiber. Im hoping the details of his legs don't get lost too much. I left them above the wood a little so they have room for a layer of copper before they touch. 

I'll be back in the saddle in no time Skip. Just a little blowout. Thanks for the good words. I'll be itching for trouble soon enough and you will probably have your hands full. So get some well deserved rest while you can!

:4chsmu1:

• Haha 1

Good luck Bob. See ya soon!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Ewww. Big pincers and fat tail- that’s one of the nasty ones, Bob! Don’t get stung by one of those fellas. We just have the little bee stinger ones over here, you can keep those over there if you don’t mind.

good luck on your surgery, I’m going in for a sinus job in a couple weeks too. :cry2:

He is not too big in real life. Only about an inch long at most.

Our scorpions hurt like hell. Like someone putting a cigar out on you. But they aren't as bad as those Mexican rascals. They will hurt some folks bad.

Ours won't kill you. They just make you wish you were dead for a few hours.

You hardly ever see them in this high dry desert. Not like Arizona where the are crawling around all over the place. I have to hunt pretty hard to see a dozen. I see videos of guys in Arizona that have dozens in one spot. 

They really like scaly rock. They get under the cracks and hide and you never know they are there. Im getting the hang of finding them though. Every time I hunt it gets easier to locate them 

Bob: Maybe once you feel better you could ask her for the recipe for the graphite paint? or what it is if she buys it.  I have tried making some in the past but was not successful. 

I have been using a silver based conductive paint for a couple of customers fiberglass or 3D printed parts that works fantastic, but, its 300 bucks for 8 oz. (they buy it...not me)

Tom

• wow 1