Nugget Shooter Forums

1 hour ago, TomH said:

Bob: Maybe once you feel better you could ask her for the recipe for the graphite paint? or what it is if she buys it.  I have tried making some in the past but was not successful. 

I have been using a silver based conductive paint for a couple of customers fiberglass or 3D printed parts that works fantastic, but, its 300 bucks for 8 oz. (they buy it...not me)

Tom

Here is what she says...

This is the good stuff.

received_586784558531253.jpeg

This is what she uses for everything else.

received_922777534869296.jpeg

She tells me graphite and India ink for detailed surfaces that don't need sealing. Graphite and white glue for wood and porous material. Graphite and naphtha for plastics works good. But she prefers the pre mixed formula for all her work. She does a lot of stone setting and rings.  Medallions and such. Not so much plating but electroforming. 

I think that spray is probably just graphite and naphtha from the looks of it. But that is just an assumption.

Here is a link to the Safer Solutions copper paint.

https://www.safer-solutions.com/safer-solutions.com/US_Sales.html

And I found the spray lube on Amazon. I bet you can get it at the auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Graphite-Lube-Aerosol-Black/dp/B007I9XUD0

Hope that helps. It is all new to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scorpion hunting with my toddler... He caught a fly and was going for another. Video.mov

Here is what she says... This is the good stuff. This is what she uses for everything else.     She tells me graphite and India ink for detailed surfaces that don'

Get that rascal fixed Dave! The operation sucks but it is worth it. I had three operations on the same side so far. The first was a screw up by the surgeon. The second 11 years later to remove th

Posted Images

As one gets older surgery is for the birds.  I've had more than my share and still going.  Opted out for knee replacement and going in for Stem Cell Therapy.  Let you know in a few months just how it all works out.  Good luck on your surgery tomorrow and will remember you in prayer tonight.  Getting old sucks too.  

Old Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Old Tom said:

As one gets older surgery is for the birds.  I've had more than my share and still going.  Opted out for knee replacement and going in for Stem Cell Therapy.  Let you know in a few months just how it all works out.  Good luck on your surgery tomorrow and will remember you in prayer tonight.  Getting old sucks too.  

Old Tom

I hear they can grow a hernia patch using stem cells too. I would much rather grow one than have another wad of garbage sewn in there.

I thought I could live with it for a while. But I cant. If I use much muscle I can feel it tearing. The bulge isn't that big. Only about the size of your thumb. But the surgeon says the way I go at it it will just give me problems and get bigger. 

Between my back and my hernia it has really slowed me down. My back got 80% better when the wad of mesh was removed. It bothers me but it is not nearly as bad as it was. If I can get this hole in my side fixed it will be a releif.

It started out down in the usual spot for a hernia. But the plug came out and drifted up a couple inches. That was removed. Now it is torn above that. Almost up to my hip bone. So at least it isnt low down there around the goodies. It is almost up under my belt line now. So there is less pressure and I'm hoping it will finally heal up solid enough to pack and shovel again. 

I appreciate those prayers Tom. I honestly do.

• Like 1

That helps a lot Bob.Thanks!
Tom H.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 5:09 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

Here is what she says...

This is the good stuff.

received_586784558531253.jpeg

This is what she uses for everything else.

received_922777534869296.jpeg

She tells me graphite and India ink for detailed surfaces that don't need sealing. Graphite and white glue for wood and porous material. Graphite and naphtha for plastics works good. But she prefers the pre mixed formula for all her work. She does a lot of stone setting and rings.  Medallions and such. Not so much plating but electroforming. 

I think that spray is probably just graphite and naphtha from the looks of it. But that is just an assumption.

Here is a link to the Safer Solutions copper paint.

https://www.safer-solutions.com/safer-solutions.com/US_Sales.html

And I found the spray lube on Amazon. I bet you can get it at the auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Graphite-Lube-Aerosol-Black/dp/B007I9XUD0

Hope that helps. It is all new to me. 

Hey Bob,... Does she do lapidary work, and if so, does she use authentic turquoise in her stone settings and rings????  I have some Old Kingman Arizona Turquoise nuggets from out of the mines around that area that I may be interested in selling if she is a buyer.  Here is a picture of a couple that I have listed on ebay.  Gary

SAM_2389.JPG

SAM_2378.JPG

SAM_2322.JPG

SAM_2317.JPG

• well done 1

How did your surgery go Bob? Hopefully they patched you up better this time!

I've been putting off going in for the same thing. Mine is the size of a baseball and almost as round.

The scorpion came out really great. :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Here is one of the scorpions completed.

20200804_150439.jpg

Ok, that is super cool! You got me working on something now....Will post some pics. Got a few ideas to help her out so the pointed ends are not so blobby.

Tom H.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Sonoran Dave said:

I've been putting off going in for the same thing. Mine is the size of a baseball and almost as round.

I had an inguinal hernia repaired in '96 with  polyester mesh.

No problems since.

Dave,,  Keep that baseball trussed up so it 's not popped out so far , or it will turn black and fall off:old:.

:duc:Who'ld thought that hernias and scorpions would mesh well into a thread

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sonoran Dave said:

How did your surgery go Bob? Hopefully they patched you up better this time!

Get that rascal fixed Dave! The operation sucks but it is worth it.

I had three operations on the same side so far. The first was a screw up by the surgeon. The second 11 years later to remove the mesh that was wadded up. Then I got a hernia above the surgical scar from the removal. The last time was laparoscopic from the inside.

It has been ten days and i feel pretty good. Im restricted to 35 lbs. But that is unconstitutional so I am already wrestling cobbles as big as volkswagens. 

Honestly im just kidding. I'm taking it really easy. I'm walking good and just have a little pain down there. Im not lifting anything heavier than my 8.5lb. Air rifle. I will be on 35 lb. Restriction for another month. 

If the hernia is round it can get trapped. That is bad news. I had a buddy that got an entrapped hernia while on a mule trip in the wilderness and he almost died. So it is no joke. Especially if you are a bit adventuresome. 

Everyone has a hernia sooner or later. And the surgeons are good at it. 

I am going to have another one down low on the right side soon. I can feel it. As soon as it gets a lump im going back to my Jamaican cowboy and have him do some more cuttin'. I was scared as hell after that first horror show 11 years ago. But I have confidence now and won't hesitate to get it fixed when it starts popping out. 

So my advice is to go and get it done. I spent a while deciding and talked to a few surgeons before I did it. But I'm glad that I did. The guy that I went to digs bullets out of gangbangers and puts people back together after car wrecks so he has the right no BS attitude. So that helps the confidence level a lot for me.

• Like 3

That surgeon sure is operating on the right guy................:thumbsupanim 

Old Tom

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TomH said:

Ok, that is super cool! You got me working on something now....Will post some pics. Got a few ideas to help her out so the pointed ends are not so blobby.

Tom H.

She did two. Side by side in her tank. 

The other one is wild. I like it a lot though. The knobby metal creates an awesome texture.

20200804_213152.jpg

A buddy of mine just got his tank set up. So any tips you might have are appreciated.

Im fascinated with it. I have a bunch of vinegaroons and scorpions that I want to mount and plate sooner or later. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I went out the other night and saw 75 scorpions. I walked about a half mile down an arroyo and a half mile back up.

They were spaced out here and there. But there was two spots where they were everywhere. I decided to go back tonight and get a few.

I stopped at one spot and got five or six. The second spot I hit they were all over the place. I have no idea how many are in the jar. They all came from a 100 foot radius from the Jeep. 

20200905_214928.jpg

I was putting one in the jar and I dropped him on my hand. I dropped the jar in the gravel and jumped four feet high waving my hands around like a girl. They all came out of the jar and were crawling around all over the place. I caught most of them again. So all of these I had to catch twice.

20200905_214120.jpg

Here is a shot under the UV light. There is at least twenty in there. 

• Haha 1
  • wow 1

That's one of those things, that would have been funny to watch...chitty to have happen to yourself! That is a lot of scorpions. :yikes: Glad you escaped puncture, as I've heard it's quite unpleasant.

• Like 1

All  I can think of, Bob, is you make a great case for NOT standing in one spot, in the dark for too long, lest one of these critters decides to crawl up a pant leg.

25 yrs ago,we "fogged" our (new to us) house...several hours latter, we found a dead scorpion  behind some drapes.

I can deal with " nature" OUTSIDE (not inside).

2 hours ago, Sonoran Dave said:

That's one of those things, that would have been funny to watch...chitty to have happen to yourself! That is a lot of scorpions. :yikes: Glad you escaped puncture, as I've heard it's quite unpleasant.

I have been stung several times. It sucks for sure. Like someone putting a cigarette out on you for 3-4 hours. A baptism of fire for sure.

Some of these are the skinny ones with small pinchers and the tail to the side. I have been told those are "bark scorpions" and can really hurt you bad. But I am just learning about them and I am not sure I can tell what species they are. 

I have a crappy little UV light. I try to hold it and the jar in one hand and wrestle the scorpion with the other. I have a long medical tool I use to pick them up. When I put them in the jar I can't really see them too well. I thought I was dropping him in the jar but I dropped him down the side of the jar. He ran across the web of my hand and I freaked. 

Then I started trying to recapture them.

They don't run far. They just hide down in the gravel. You can see their tails and legs glowing down in the spaces between the aggregate. I think I found almost every one that got loose within a 5 foot circle. They don't run away. They just get down under a chunk of gravel and hide. But it is hard to hide when you are glowing like a neon sign. 

They are really cool critters actually. I have been observing them a lot this season. I am amazed at how many there can be in one spot. I have seen dozens of tiny ones as small as a tiny ants swarming in an area 6' in diameter. The gravel just alive with them. And then dozens of big ones in a 100 foot circle. In the gravel, at the base of brush, and even up in the branches and on the tips of grass. 

Nice coarse gravel with sharp edges seems to be the key. Scaly bedrock sticking up through a thin veneer of soil and gravel is where they are at. They are on the ridges in little holes they dig. There is always a wierd little piece of grey "paper" in the entrance of the hole. 

The skinny small pinchered ones are more down in the arroyos. They are at the bases of brush and under the buckthorn threes. There are the fat rascals down in there too.

They say a scorpion lives 3-4 years. So I figure the biggest ones (2.5 inches) are the grandaddys at 4 years old. Some are really wide across the abdomen and some are a lot more slender. I'm figuring that is probably male and female. Once in a while you will see them lock pinchers and it looks like they are fighting. But I have been told that is their mating dance. 

The cheapo Chinese UV lights have been a hoot this summer. Three lights for $4.99 and free shipping. I gave one to a buddy, broke one and still have one left. I have probably seen a thousand scorpions so far. But the last few nights I see more in one spot than we located all night a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sonoran Dave said:

That uv glow really makes them look creepy! :yikes:

Better than a white glove for home inspections.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:34 AM, Bedrock Bob said:

Wouldn't you like to toss a jar of those rascals down someone's stretchy pants?

Oh jeez, that would sure suck for the owner of said pants:th_panic:

On 9/25/2020 at 8:58 AM, Morlock said:

Better than a white glove for home inspections.

A friends home was built next to an old pecan orchard on the east side of Phoenix. The scorpions migrated en masse to their house,  when a development company bought the orchard and starting cutting it down for houses. Her Dad would go out and collect a jar full every night just off the wall around their yard! They were in the house, they were in the yard...those little suckers were everywhere! The numbers finally came down after a couple of years. 

• Like 1

OooYou hardly ever see a scorpion in New Mexico. Once in a blue moon. I had no idea there were that many out there.

I don't see any around the house. I'm about 2 miles away from the mountains and down where the desert is sandy. But as soon as the sand gives way to gravel they get thick. Just up the road you can walk down the wash with a black light and probably see hundreds in a mile walk.

I just walked a hundred yards 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

OooYou hardly ever see a scorpion in New Mexico. Once in a blue moon. I had no idea there were that many out there.

I don't see any around the house. I'm about 2 miles away from the mountains and down where the desert is sandy. But as soon as the sand gives way to gravel they get thick. Just up the road you can walk down the wash with a black light and probably see hundreds in a mile walk.

I just walked a hundred yards 

I hardly see any out here either. They are here, but seem to keep a low profile.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:36 AM, Sonoran Dave said:

I hardly see any out here either. They are here, but seem to keep a low profile.

Dave I'm just down the road from you and I see plenty. I caught these two one night last week just strolling by me on my concrete porch while I was stargazing. The quarter is what I catch them with. It's a 2009 Guam "State" quarter. Confuses the H out of them. It's still confusing me.

The other one looking on is Amy. She's shy and unlike the other scorpions doesn't go down for quarters.

Leigh and I used to manage a working ranch in the Dragoon mountains. The little bark scorpions were thick there. Every morning we'd dump the water supplies for all the critters and refill them with fresh water. Bunch of 50 gallon or so heavy rubber tanks. Those scorpions would be plastered all over the bottom of those tanks. Every one I dumped would shower 10 or 15 of those critters on my legs and boots. Mornings were "brisk" no matter what the temperature. We would always use a stiff broom on our boots when we finished morning chores so we didn't track them into the house.

One of them managed to get stuck in my shirt one day and decided to sting me in the tender spot on my armpit. It hurt but not bad. My lips got a little tingly for about 10 minutes. An hour or so later no symptoms.

Those bark scorpions are so small they have a hard time stinging an adult anywhere but the tender spots. One day I was barefoot and Leigh was laughing said I should look at my foot. I was standing on top of one of the buggers head and it was trying to sting my toe. Little sucker was banging away as fast as he could and I couldn't hardly feel it.

The ones in this picture are just teenagers. There are a few in the palms that scare me. Scorpions love palm trees. These palm scorpions look like they could wrestle a squirrel and win. (Maybe that's why you never see squirrels in palm trees?) The first time I saw one it didn't register as a scorpion it was so big. Once I woke up to what I was seeing my first thought was that thing is big enough to put a bruise on me. I'm thinking those big ones are going to hold out for an Eisenhower dollar.

Now for the "scary" pictures:

!ETC.jpg

!ALSO.jpg

I wonder if you can powder coat a scorpion?

Edited by clay
sorry no blacklight pictures
  • Like 2