Nugget Shooter Forums

A few days ago i questioned about a rock to identify if it be a meteorite. Some members helped me base on their own knowledge and experience, and i really appreciate. But, now i have a more clear question: Is this coat a fusion crust, or something else? If is not, so what is it?

hardtimehermit said it could be water worn fusion crust.

photo_2020-06-15_12-22-39.jpg

Hello fara-kayy, i think what you are seeing is natural weathering. The whole rock looks like it's been moved by water, and i don't recall saying your rock has a water worn fusion crust, but what i was trying to explain is all the white clasts or inclusions are round and with no water on the moon it's hard to say this formed on the moon. Know what i mean, a lunar rock can have some rounded inclusions , but you should see angular pieces as well or else you know it's not a suspect meteorite. If you are just getting into meteorites then you have picked the hardest kind to find, maybe look up know strewn fields in your area and hunt for those. Happy hunting. ht 

3 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

Hello fara-kayy, i think what you are seeing is natural weathering. The whole rock looks like it's been moved by water, and i don't recall saying your rock has a water worn fusion crust, but what i was trying to explain is all the white clasts or inclusions are round and with no water on the moon it's hard to say this formed on the moon. Know what i mean, a lunar rock can have some rounded inclusions , but you should see angular pieces as well or else you know it's not a suspect meteorite. If you are just getting into meteorites then you have picked the hardest kind to find, maybe look up know strewn fields in your area and hunt for those. Happy hunting. ht 

Thanks man!