Nugget Shooter Forums
Rebel73153

Pocket Gold detector?

So. What are y'alls choice for top detector for hunting the Pocket Gold of Southern Oregon/Northern Cal.? I have read the the VLF detectors have an advantage for this as the PI detectors have a hard time with the pourus, crystalline gold often found in them. True/False? Maybe? If the PI's work well then i have a Minelab GP 3500 with 11" and 14" mono coils and a 14" DD. If a vlf is the choice i now have a Lobo ST. Are there better choices? AT Gold? Gold Bug Pro, or ? What is your choice? As always any replies are welcome.

Thanks

Yes there are better choices. As far as my views and vlf goes, your best choice is the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 hands down. It will go deeper than a gold bug2 or any other gold bug model. Garrett has no detector that can compete with Minelab, period! They are stuck in a time worp of Glory days of the early 80's with not going over 19 khz. You need high khz but not too high, as you will loose depth. 45 khz is a very good range for this. Lower khz, you will loose gold because you won't be able to hit on it,  with Garrett, there will be alot of gold you just won't hit on. Throw in the fact that Garrett uses cheap, inferior wiring and wiring housing and you will end up with garanteed falsing. I know from owning several Garretts. I will never buy one again. As for your 3500, get a Nugget Hunter Sadie coil 6x8 it is hot. The other coil you should get is the Nugget Hunter 15" Evolution coil. Extremely hot but stable coil. Between the monster and your 3500 with the Sadie and 15" Evo you will have your bases covered. Also if you haven't bought my book the Nugget Shooter's Field Guide, then this may give you some insight to benefit your quest.

goldseekerbooks.com

IMG_20200407_111118124.jpg

IMG_20200502_130329284_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

I want to say one more thing, Rebel. What the gold is like in the quartz is like will play a big part, that is true. But alot of vein gold will be thick enough to hit on with a PI. Some vein gold will be sandwiched in quartz and will have a smooth surface fused to the quartz. It's not always so spungy that a PI won't hit on it.

Posted (edited)

I've been working my pocket for a few years now and have had 5000's scan my gold in quartz with less than spectacular results. GB2 sniffs out the smallest of specs and gives off slight tones where the gold is like a thin layer of spray paint on the quartz.

15929190282591321004403.jpg

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 4

Thank you both very much for the replies. I am thinking i will see if i can sell or trade off one of the 2 mono coils i have and get a Sadie or Joey coil. 

Sure wish i had one of you fellas that know what they are doing to get together with. I been at this off and on now for quite a while and still looking for my first piece of gold with a detector.

Hey Rebel,  If you haven't already, you might check out a few of my video's on YouTube that might be of help to ya to get to those nuggets.  My channel is entitled:  ARIZONA GOLD NUGGET VENTURES.  Here is one of them......Good Luck out there.    Gary

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2020 at 6:46 AM, Rebel73153 said:

I been at this off and on now for quite a while and still looking for my first piece of gold with a detector.

Do not get lured into the idea you have to go and spend 800.00 on new coils to find gold. Your 11" & 14" mono will find gold if you get over the gold. You have to be over gold before you have any chance at finding it.

As for your vlf`s  .... The Fisher Gold Bug II and the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 are likely going to be your top choices for specimen gold ( i have not used the Whites 24K  so I do not have an opinion on it, regarding specimens)  The edge on specimen gold will go to the Fisher gold bug II .

Edited by adam
  • Like 5
  • well done 2

On 6/25/2020 at 7:21 PM, adam said:

Fisher gold bug II .

I didnt know they made a GB 2 small enough to fit in a pocket :idea: where can I get one ?:D Mike C...:200:

11 hours ago, Mike C... said:

I didnt know they made a GB 2 small enough to fit in a pocket :idea: where can I get one ?:D Mike C...:200:

Mike, you need bigger pockets my friend.lol

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Mike, you need bigger pockets my friend.lol

Thats what Ive been told all my life :arrowheadsmiley:Dang it life just aint fair :tisk-tisk:Mike C...:200:

• Haha 3