Nugget Shooter Forums

5 minutes ago, Gooch said:

Hi guys , I’m new to this band nave no knowledge on meteorites , a friend of mine found this and sent me a video of it , any help to identify it would be appreciated.

thanks s gooch 

Not a meteorite. Looks like slag. 

Would you say 100 percent It isn’t ? As I don’t want to pass on the bad news.

are there any tell tale signs that it isn’t a meteorite ? As I said I have zero knowledge in this field as my expertise is metal detecting ancient coins

2 minutes ago, Gooch said:

Would you say 100 percent It isn’t ? As I don’t want to pass on the bad news.

are there any tell tale signs that it isn’t a meteorite ? As I said I have zero knowledge in this field as my expertise is metal detecting ancient coins

For starters, meteorites don’t have large bubbles in them, this is a typical feature of slag, and of vesicular basalt. Both can contain enough iron to attract a magnet, which often leads to confusion among beginners and novices since that’s a diagnostic of some types of meteorites. I’m no expert on meteorites, but I’ve seen enough meteor-wrongs of this type to say this is terrestrial in origin.

• Like 1

Ok thank you , well I’ve learned something , they don’t have bubbles in them.

i looked at some real examples on google and they are difficult to differentiate from the one in the video , well for me anyway.

really appreciate your help.👍

• Like 1