Nugget Shooter Forums
explorer1

Refining gold: help needed

Hey all,

I recently smelted and refined my gold into a gold bar. I used my newer electric furnace set at 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. I let it smelt for about 30 minutes in a graphite crucible. Using equal amount of borax to gold ratio with adding a small amount of soda ash. Twice I refined and came up with a scratch test of about 16K gold after breaking off the slag and cleaning the bar into a nice shine through many different cleaning processes. Is there anything else can you suggest I add or refine differently to gain more purity. I do not want to go into various types of liquids. Just smelting and refining. I would appreciate any help. Thanks beforehand.--Jim

I'm no expert on this but from what I know, I don't believe so.

You'd have to use aqua regia to dissolve the bar  then precipitate the gold out using a reagent. That's what I've always done but perhaps the methods have changed since then.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

What ore are you smelting?

Edited by clay

1 hour ago, clay said:

What ore are you smelting?

Thanks for your replies. It's flour gold and small nuggets. No ore, just gold from Idaho, Alaska, Arizona, California, and some from Australia. Gold smelted into a 9.93 OZT bar.

Ah ... I misunderstood. Smelting is the process of heating ore to extract the free metals contained in those ores. I think you are not so much smelting as melting your gold.

Is your intent to remove the other metals from your gold to make a 24K (pure) gold bar?

19 minutes ago, clay said:

Ah ... I misunderstood. Smelting is the process of heating ore to extract the free metals contained in those ores. I think you are not so much smelting as melting your gold.

Is your intent to remove the other metals from your gold to make a 24K (pure) gold bar?

Yes Clay, it's melting it is then. I wasn't sure. Indeed, I'm trying to get more purity or as close to 24K as possible.

YouTube