Nugget Shooter Forums

It could be but It also looks a lot like the mushroom rhyolite that I have dug. I searched online but could not find a good picture of the unbroken outside. If you can cut it open you will be better able to identify it. 

The layering seen here would rule out coprolite. I’d guess you’ve got some calcite there. It’s very difficult to ID minerals from photos alone, so I can’t be certain.

52908912-8D58-43E9-A23B-064CC8089C9C.jpeg

Edited by d_day
On 6/20/2020 at 12:54 AM, TheRealOutis said:

What is this rock? Fossil? Coprolite?

Found in SW utah.

any info is appreciated!

79_obOhvYbfJtoEIEEiq0XJAl76NSEio7159sKHzb-gd7pKD3kh3Loc430Y6AdCc-vMOu9dVjTGOECE8UEX5vy3f4SqbB0im_wkYfBdXvAtgquaxWVugrsVICdcGLPYbmr8GTeBkJYOdOmnZCDRqdSbMFm90KNS367hhXkyPfc6Gq_DjLmwJwr_iP2FLr6LReLABkSXq3_vSB16qOpi9HloFlkC-LAHGQVokzI_DXyi4S91thOrBxtQgVowzmM5ggCI8B1ZrlBcmWflqT-tPopJHBsCPNN87DDjjGIquEmF9cQpehf_pOuelKAqflDT7l2xibcKEvUTiEgq6wj5BC5_Vi-MbjYjRCGxmGt_lj0CEd36ftS4IbNOAPiS1Kpt473frlGAxV_ojgBZLyqenVCtPeIdAUn5pYYLD3p66kXBtuF_SgOOHEH_uyCsG7AslzHDQ_UxzFH4VYnV_xvxJzZCpj0XrWmoMfOBU08un8_IhcD04tJCNHikbp6JxDGHUx5x2jQtge-LsrFnPe9I7n-x7pPwC-TQiO2wxrae92McAj2p0wZbQ-rE_KP2gwsKVV8WyS7V8iv-SIpVVS_ERyd1-IasOWbEDpNRNKc087SRFpdc_gbjTafWQ07mRvDIwt30WAyKJ57n7xjIT5D2gl2sqMO-iqDB0L-wHZwXJ

My very first impression was a stromatolite. Just not sure though.

8 minutes ago, Morlock said:

My very first impression was a stromatolite. Just not sure though.

That was my first thought as well. 

I'm with Haderly on this one.  It's a Lapillistone, a volcanic rock made up of rounded,  pebble sized, lava blobs called lapilli.  It does look like any Stromatolites I have observed.  Lapillistones can be very pretty once cut and polished.  Nice find!