Nugget Shooter Forums

Finding the iron specimen got me looking at every rock I encounter.   I built my house 20 years ago and cleared the land of trees and rocks.  The land was original forest growth and my back yard butts up to a good 200 acres of farm and wood with 100 + year old oaks towering over everything.  The rocks taken from the excavation have built two retaining walls, lined my garden, function as a water run off diffusion and are piled under my deck.   

With the latest find, I started testing every rock In the yard with a hard drive magnet.  Found a handful but they all were discounted for some obvious reason or another which was fairly easy to do after reading through this forum.   

I then noticed a rock which had some black surface like crust and was not a material I had seen before.   Picking it up for a closer inspection later, I pocketed it and carried on.  Finding nothing close to a meteorite I went inside and took a closer look at the specimen.

Here are some of my observations:

# 2  Is of the Stone type and does not attract a magnet

While quite weathered, it does have what looks like fusion crust.  

Has small white roundish specks that closely resemble some stony meteorites.

I title sawed off an edge and there are thin small metallic pieces which can be seen reflecting the light within the cut

There seems to be no mix of rock material

There are finger print like indents on two sides.

There are no sharp edges 

The specimen is smoothIsh but not water Washed smooth.

A toilet tank lid test doesn’t not produce any distinctive colored markings

So since I could not rule this one out as a wrong, I am again asking for some of your expert options.  

Now for the pics:

7D02CBFF-9FA4-41A0-9C22-82C1AE7BEC8B.jpeg

1500B3AA-EEE3-45EE-8B62-4E1E6E19ED73.jpeg

8F0B292C-439F-477B-89E8-992B19ADE88D.jpeg

6FD410DA-3588-4C25-BDAB-EAD75644F437.jpeg

ABEC7BD7-79E2-4F9D-AFDF-FD6347BAC197.jpeg

4289A7EC-FEFE-43A0-AC8F-D895D9B4A3D4.jpeg

01C5F453-DE13-41D5-83FD-B80A63C8BC11.jpeg

40A2F97C-9D98-4F44-A047-F7B9B0994D35.jpeg

83683306-F0E0-4B5F-B083-2582A6320820.jpeg

77885E43-55EC-44D7-967E-4C30CF322D75.jpeg

Nope. They don't show any characteristics of meteorites. While it has happened, the odds for a newbie to find one on his property are very, very low.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Nope. They don't show any characteristics of meteorites. While it has happened, the odds for a newbie to find one on his property are very, very low.

One item here.  The smaller piece is from the cut.   The two refers to my other post.   

While I agree on odds,  how about adding some construct to your analysis?  Any noob can just spew out a general negative statement.  This is an opportunity for me and others to hone our meteorite identification skills.... So what characteristics specifically would exclude this item from being a meteorite?  

1 hour ago, Bawaayce said:

One item here.  The smaller piece is from the cut.   The two refers to my other post.   

While I agree on odds,  how about adding some construct to your analysis?  Any noob can just spew out a general negative statement.  This is an opportunity for me and others to hone our meteorite identification skills.... So what characteristics specifically would exclude this item from being a meteorite?  

The question is what characteristicscwould indicate that it IS a meteorite?

It is sub metallic. Obviously mineal iron and obviously not a meteorite.

Plus there is no fusion crust, or any chondrites. I don't see how you think those look like any photo of any meteorite on the internet or in books. You asked.:idunno: keep looking.

1 hour ago, hardtimehermit said:

Plus there is no fusion crust, or any chondrites. I don't see how you think those look like any photo of any meteorite on the internet or in books. You asked.:idunno: keep looking.

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The question is what characteristicscwould indicate that it IS a meteorite?

It is sub metallic. Obviously mineal iron and obviously not a meteorite.

You mean submetallic?  In the cut therre are only small sparcly spaced threads of metal present so I would not classify this a submatallic. 

5 hours ago, Bawaayce said:

This is an opportunity for me and others to hone our meteorite identification skills.... So what characteristics specifically would exclude this item from being a meteorite?  

You're not going to learn how to find a meteorite on the internet, despite what the videos tell you.  Look at as many real meteorites in person as you can.  Go to gem shows, museums, anywhere you can see them with your eyes.  Study them, absorb everything you can.

Your rock look like it was worn smooth by water, which a meteorite would never be.  It has no evidence of fusion crust.  

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Bawaayce said:

You mean submetallic?  In the cut therre are only small sparcly spaced threads of metal present so I would not classify this a submatallic. 

Then how would you classify it?

It sure looks submetallic to me.

Not magnetic, no fusion crust, no chondrules, no free metal, nada.

What meteoritic characteristics do you see? What makes you think it could be a meteorite?

You said you couldn't rule it out as a wrong. How do you rule it in as a right?