Nugget Shooter Forums
GotAU?

$23 Homer Homelite Gold Vacuum

10470F6C-DF28-4236-B6BC-51CF62A98810.jpeg

Just finished making my $23 gold vacuum. I  used a garage sale 23cc Homelite Zip-Start handheld leaf blower, some quarter inch screen, a few screws, an old shop vac hose, and a homer bucket and lid to make it. If you are  planning on making one and are thinking about using a four stroke motor instead of a two-stroke like this, be sure it is a vertical oriented motor as Some older Honda and Makita 4-Stroke motors that were built as horizontal oriented shafts will not oil properly.

0B81452B-5737-4C9A-A2E0-2F05E3D037AD.jpeg
5F6A3B69-099B-42B4-85E3-84B1FF0D0CD5.jpeg

Now that is a very cool DIY!  I wish you lots of luck with the yeller stuff.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, malo said:

Now that is a very cool DIY!  I wish you lots of luck with the yeller stuff.

Thanks, notice I called it a gold vacuum and not a dirt vacuum :rolleyes: but I really don’t expect it to last very long as the plastic impeller will probably wear out pretty quick. It should last a few times out there though, and hopefully it’ll get enough oro to pay for a new one!:ya:

Edited by GotAU?

Posted (edited)

As long as you do not let it fill too full and start sucking from the pail  you won't have to worry about the Impeller. I have built a lot of them and have never  wore out an impeller. Yours looks good. The only suggestion I could add is to put a screen door handle  on the side near the top where it will make emptying it easier.  Like this : https://photos.app.goo.gl/MJvS3C9UqDTqt4cx6 Also remove the nozzle from the hose  the engine depends on the air for cooling and suction power is not normally a problem with leaf blower engine I used to build wooden dry washers and and would sell the vacuum with them , I used any make of engine that was suitable and cheap and I used a spare bucket with a big hole and used it to run a fan type Dry Washer with no problems. "Get the Gold"

Edited by Gilaoro
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gilaoro said:

As long as you do not let it fill too full and start sucking from the pail  you won't have to worry about the Impeller. I have built a lot of them and have never  wore out an impeller. Yours looks good. The only suggestion I could add is to put a screen door handle  on the side near the top where it will make emptying it easier.  Like this : https://photos.app.goo.gl/MJvS3C9UqDTqt4cx6 Also remove the nozzle from the hose  the engine depends on the air for cooling and suction power is not normally a problem with leaf blower engine I used to build wooden dry washers and and would sell the vacuum with them , I used any make of engine that was suitable and cheap and I used a spare bucket with a big hole and used it to run a fan type Dry Washer with no problems. "Get the Gold"

Thanks for the input, and adding that handle is a great idea. Thanks!

Update: this particular motor is not cooled by the air from the blower, so it is OK to use reducing attachments like a small nozzle on the end of the hose.

Posted (edited)

Also add one of these Homer vortex separators (Home Depot Dustopper) to it to increase the collection volume (thanks @Jack H!):

Edited by GotAU?
  • well done 1

Looks good, I have one built as well to use this summer and will add the Vortex separator to the kit.

21 minutes ago, GeoJack said:

Looks good, I have one built as well to use this summer and will add the Vortex separator to the kit.

What kind of a leaf blower are you using?

Craftsman but any with a suction on the bottom works.

20200620_094651.jpg

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Craftsman but any with a suction on the bottom works.

20200620_094651.jpg

You are right, just used mine today and it cleaned up down to the caliche layer very nicely! And the Home Depot vortex separator did very well. Now I have some cleanup to do.

525084F2-86D1-4862-BEEB-3D091A8EE18E.jpeg

Edited by GotAU?

Just got my vortex. Hope to use it this week.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Just got my vortex. Hope to use it this week.

I thought about maybe mounting my leaf blower directly to the vortex separator,  but it’s light plastic may not hold up long for that.  Two buckets aren’t bad, and bucket covers are good and cheap mounts for now.  Would love to make or get a metal vortex separator that does work on a bucket that can be a blower mount too- another project, yay!:ya:

Edited by GotAU?