Nugget Shooter Forums
Gilaoro

This old log cabin could tell some tales !

This old log cabin is in the mining area of South Pass Wyoming. Several years ago I was kind off pushing the season heading north so stopped at South Pass City to wait for the weather to warm up. There where some club claims in the area and a good free camp ground although there was a lot of snow still in places but it was thawing. While checking claims  I came by this old cabin , it was on private property but just off a FS  road, looks like someone was trying to save it there was others back in the trees. The creek I was wanting to to dredge with my little 3" had a slope side ways that disappeared under a bluff of rock for about 50' into a crack before it closed back into  solid rock.  It was to deep and too cold to Armstrong it in a very thin wet suit and no air , someday I promised myself !

SOUTHPASSWYCABIN.jpg

• Like 4

Max,

Looks like one I saw out around Atlantic City, East of the Cemetery last summer when I was up there. Still a few old cabin remains hidden in the trees. Very wet winter last year and heavy runoff in all the creeks. Flat tails had a lot of them damned up and most of the good tailing piles were under water.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

BMc  , You got it in one!  I still would like to go back and find out how deep that crack went under that bluff ! That area is the only place  I have seen that has old dredge holes and tailing piles just out in the middle of meadows. The runoff from the snow melt had the water too high for me so I just threw it down in a little  ditch and got some pickers but it was a muddy hell. A lot of gold came out of  Atlantic City &  South Pass city area and I suppose some still does. To me in those day it was the seeing new places and meeting new people.  Also I tended to push the weather when heading north. I have a good story about getting stuck in a snow storm in BC on my  first trip back to Alaska  since  1972 and ending up staying in BC 2  weeks dredging with  professional gold miner. 

Edited by Gilaoro
Punctuation.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2020 at 4:47 PM, Gilaoro said:

This old log cabin is in the mining area of South Pass Wyoming. Several years ago I was kind off pushing the season heading north so stopped at South Pass City to wait for the weather to warm up. 

Gilaoro,

1979 copright ,,," BENDIGO SHAFTER" is a fictional novel by Louis L'Amour of this very area of the Continental Divide.

Highly rec'd reading.

I have all his books. He has never let me down...........

Pg 5..."   "Yes ma"am. I glanced about the bench. " I have come to build you a cabin  then."

" Build it so when  spring comes I can add a long room on the south, for when the wagons roll again I shall open a trading post."

She turned to Bud, who had come up the slope from the meadow.  "You will help Mr. Shafter and learn from him.  It is not every man who can build a house."

Ruth Macken had a way of making a man feel large in his tracks,  so what could I do but better than my best?

The morning chill spoke of winter coming, yet I notched each log with care and trimmed them with smooth, even blows...."

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli

14 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Gilaoro,

1979 copright ,,," BENDIGO SHAFTER" is a fictional novel by Louis L'Amour of this very area of the Continental Divide.

Highly rec'd reading.

I have all his books. He has never let me down...........

Pg 5..."   "Yes ma"am. I glanced about the bench. " I have come to build you a cabin  then."

" Build it so when  spring comes I can add a long room on the south, for when the wagons roll again I shall open a trading post."

She turned to Bud, who had come up the slope from the meadow.  "You will help Mr. Shafter and learn from him.  It is not every man who can build a house."

Ruth Macken had a way of making a man feel large in his tracks,  so what could I do but better than my best?

The morning chill spoke of winter coming, yet I notched each log with care and trimmed them with smooth, even blows...."

Yes!  I have read and re-read all of his books, except the newest one out , said to be his first, it has been finished by his family as have others , It is about a WW-II tanker.  it's a little pricey . As much as I read I will have to wait for  Amazon to add it to "unlimited" It is a shame that so many of the historic cabins have not been maintained even those owned by us through  the USFS. I will post pictures of another old cabin in Idaho. 

19 minutes ago, Gilaoro said:

Yes!  I have read and re-read all of his books, except the newest one out , said to be his first...

"WESTWARD, THE TIDE"  ?

56 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

"WESTWARD, THE TIDE"  ?

Yep! That's it. You got it? 

Posted (edited)

Chapter 1

"Matt.Bardoul rode his long leggedzebra dun down thedusty main street of Deadwood.Gulch a few.minutes ahead of the stage.."

Only two paperback copies... You want do  some horsetradin, pilgrim? I seecopies om Amazon  snd other sellers for just a few bucks  , plus shipping....send me a fin and I will send it out on the next stage.

Posted (edited)

Triied to snap a pic, but need to edit below pixel limit. I am all thumbs

:olddude:

Thanks, but I do all my reading online , no room for physical books, I have 3 different library cards and Amazon + many others all on line and free . Try SmashWords.com they have lots of free new books by new authors trying to break out. I keep from 10 to  30 downloaded on my computer and also get on the waiting lists at the Maricopa county and Phoenix and Wickenburg Librarys and HOOPLA books are always available .

11 hours ago, Gilaoro said:

Yes!  I have read and re-read all of his books, except the newest one out , said to be his first, it has been finished by his family as have others , It is about a WW-II tanker.  it's a little pricey .

I think I know the one yiu are talking about, but ,Westward The Tide was pub'd in 1977 and is about a large party of  Au prospectors  headed to a prospect in the Bighorn Mtns in the 19th century.

7 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

I think I know the one y0u are talking about, but ,Westward The Tide was pub'd in 1977 and is about a large party of  Au prospectors  headed to a prospect in the Bighorn Mtns in the 19th century.

Here is a link to the one I was talking about and lots of other info about Louis L'amour including some video.

http://www.louislamourslosttreasures.com/LLLT2015TheBooks.htm