Nugget Shooter Forums
shep

Not really gold hunting, but

If Frank can post a can, I can throw this out there (maybe?). Trying to sell home and need to get septic pumped for inspection. Honeydipping buddy of mine is pretty busy so trying to help. I've dug it up 3 times in past 20 years but before had a tractor to help. Today, by hand and with pick dug about 6" farther from tank than ever before. This plopped out. Have dug up and actually found most arrowheads on the surface after a rain in my driveway. Found a 3" black obsidian blade over by my pump house a couple of years ago. No gold tho-

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

• Like 15
  • well done 2

Not an arrow head, maybe a spear point? Grubstake

• Like 1

Nice one,   Yes scraper.

Wow! Crazy find. That makes the digging worth it? Well, maybe not :)
Tom H.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you think that the blade fell out of the Indians' loin cloth when he had to go?  Anyway a little Hydrofluoric acid would clean it up a bit.  :D 

Old Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That is a biface. It is the precursor to a tool. All percussion and just a roughed out shape.

When a native quarried rock they would work the favorable pieces of stone into a biface at the quarry. Then they took the bifaces with them to work further. This allowed them to leave unusable pieces behind and only keep the shaped rock that was suitable for working. 

It is a "blank" that would be fashioned into a knife or an atlatl point.

It looks like dacite. 

You can tell a finished tool from the pressure flaked edges. This piece is all percussion and too thick for a knife or atlatl point. They would have taken that piece and thinned it with percussion and then finished it with pressure flaking. You can see from the irregular percussion shaping that they just roughed it out and were going to build regular platforms to thin it. 

Most of what we call "scrapers" are actually bifaces. Not really a finished tool but the "blank" they made a finished tool from. 

They might have tossed it. That step fracture at the basal end would have made working the piece difficult. You see many bifaces that have been left unworked because of a chaotic fracture like that.

• Like 6

Bedrock Bob- I kind of looked it up and biface came to my head also. Appreciate the input!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, shep said:

Bedrock Bob- I kind of looked it up and biface came to my head also. Appreciate the input!

Great minds think alike.

:)

A lot of that dacite came from Oak Creek AZ. They carried those bifaces hundreds of miles in every direction. Sometimes thousands.

Alibates flint from Texas and obsidian from Los Alamos New Mexico is found all over the West. Dacite from Oak Creek as well. That looks like Oak Creek dacite.

• Like 3

Shep,

Where are you going to call home after this one sells?

Mitchel

great artifact Shep, it is a nice biface