Nugget Shooter Forums

A reference web page for BNc & others about shooters

Gilaoro

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14553176/1

You may already know about this site, it has a great deal of history about Skeeter and Deming ,NM . after your reply to my post  I became interested in him also. BTW: Did the Border Patrol still have the old Stearman  aircraft still parked in the I-8 median east of Deming when you was there ?   They would block the traffic and he would take off from the highway , no one escaped that old cropduster.                                          

1 hour ago, Gilaoro said:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14553176/1

You may already know about this site, it has a great deal of history about Skeeter and Deming ,NM . after your reply to my post  I became interested in him also. BTW: Did the Border Patrol still have the old Stearman  aircraft still parked in the I-8 median east of Deming when you was there ?   They would block the traffic and he would take off from the highway , no one escaped that old cropduster.                                          

I never saw it although I heard about it. Thanks Max.

That yellow plane was always parked where Lake Deming is now. That spot is a City park and recreation area now.

My uncle used to have a service station at (what used to be) the end of town and he and Skeeter Skelton would hang out there and tell stories in the evenings. 

I told a story here about diamonds at the Potrillo Maar. Skeeters Skelton and Barney Tillman (my uncle with the service station) hunted Olivine there with us sometimes. They had a spot not too far west of the maar they were digging for artifacts. They dug thousands of Folsom points and all sorts of native items there.

I know he was involved with Price Paschall (another "uncle") and Derwood Sullivan in a dig in Grapevine Canyon in the San Andres range. That was in the early days of White Sands Missle Range not too long after WW2. They found truckloads of artifacts in that area.

I heard they flew down into Mexico to a spot that they described as "the mound" and dug. It was some sort of ritual site or burial ground. I heard tales of it when I was just a little guy. Price had a bunch of silver beads he said were dug from that spot. 

I don't remember him. I do remember the plane tied down in the field facing west into the wind. Barney said when the wind blew hard enough it would lift the tires off the ground and would take off and fly if it wasn't tied to the ground. I was probably only 6 or 8 years old.

• Like 2
  • well done 1