Nugget Shooter Forums

3 Coins dug from old Baja mining town site

These  coins all came from a very small site in the bend of a river with high rocky banks on one side and  flat ground on the other with large cottonwood trees  along the bank. Many US and Mexican coins found mostly dated in the 1880's. I would sure like to date these , the flying eagle 3 cent is unreadable , the others who knows ?

BAJACOINS - Edited.jpg

• Like 4

Max,

Very cool coins. There is a really good website my boys and i use to identify our Chinese coins. I think i found yours but it is a little blurry so making out the fine details is a little tough. But i think it is this one on the left, which was minted between 1736 and 1795. Cool find for sure.

Screenshot_20200603-105552_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks , I knew there was some one who knew where to look, sorry for the poor pictures my camera has something wrong with it (ME) and  I need a new AUTOMATIC one. The roman coin is too worn to ID  but who wouldn't want to know the story of how each came to be a t a remote site in deepest Baja. Also found at this particular site to date it further was some Henry Cartridges and some "Pin fire  45 Cal..

But the buttons  with the crossed Picks and shovels and what appears to be a blanket  is a bigger mystery to me and the fact that they were all found as if the jacket or coat had been laid down flat on the ground  and buried.                     .

• Like 1

Max,

That is usually how we find all of our cool buttons. Its like the pants or jacket just got left there and it eroded away with time. 90 percent of the time we find multiple matching buttons within a 4 foot circle. I love the old buttons for the uniqueness. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Max,

That is usually how we find all of our cool buttons. Its like the pants or jacket just got left there and it eroded away with time. 90 percent of the time we find multiple matching buttons within a 4 foot circle. I love the old buttons for the uniqueness. 

Super ! I wish I had known that when I was metal detecting on enclosed private property on the battlefield at Yorktown  , VA . I did find a "SIBLEY" stove in fair shape but had to leave it. I have found 1 small "i" button and 1 large both in New Orleans on bottle digs in old cisterns, also found a Confederate belt buckle and a wooden canteen that had been  that had been converted to an ice bucket , it has the soldiers name and unit hand carved on the remaining side and was perfectly preserved (in water under mud). now the property of my old digging buddy  Col. Robert Driver , USMC RET. He writes history books about the civil war.  (also found in this cistern a wooden grape shot round  complete and well preserved)

Edited by Gilaoro
Added Text.
  • Like 3