Nugget Shooter Forums

my recent find. Maybe Moon rock.

Congratulations!  you discovered concrete aggregate.  :party-smiley-027[1]:

Had a sample similar to this on a Petrology final that we were suppose to I.D..  It really bamboozled all of us taking the test.  During the after test briefing, it was revealed the sample was just concrete from a demolition site on campus.  Boy, did we feel silly.

• Thanks 1

If you want a more specific name for the concrete aggregate, looks like Breccia to me.  That just means concreted pediment, which is a fancy name for a concreted mass that has a bunch of sharp looking rocks along the edge.

I do want to ask if you filed the cut flat, or if the rocks naturally broke off flat and smooth?  If its naturally flat and smooth, it could mean that the breccia was there long enough and deep enough and it got hot enough that some sort of metamorphic activity started to take place.

Rocks like you pictured are really common in the dessert area I live where there’s not a lot of water or glacial activity.  In New England where I grew up, all rocks were round and smooth, but not here in AZ.

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would be a Breccia if it was a true rock, but in this case it is bits of stone mixed in concrete thus, concrete aggregate.

• Thanks 1
On 6/2/2020 at 9:23 AM, chrisski said:

If you want a more specific name for the concrete aggregate, looks like Breccia to me.  That just means concreted pediment, which is a fancy name for a concreted mass that has a bunch of sharp looking rocks along the edge.

I do want to ask if you filed the cut flat, or if the rocks naturally broke off flat and smooth?  If its naturally flat and smooth, it could mean that the breccia was there long enough and deep enough and it got hot enough that some sort of metamorphic activity started to take place.

Rocks like you pictured are really common in the dessert area I live where there’s not a lot of water or glacial activity.  In New England where I grew up, all rocks were round and smooth, but not here in AZ.

I found it in the desert . The size of this Rock was a about the size of a tennis ball. The color of it was dull black and it had parts of rocks sticking out of the surface. So I cleaned the rock with water and a brush ,then I used a turbo 4 inch diamond blade to cut a clean surface. I thought it would be just a solid color , but I was surprised when I did the cut. There's no iorn in it.

Edited by Fireball

I’m going with Breccia.

Although it has no real value, I kind of see something like that being a good edging for a sidewalk or perhaps surrounding mulch on a tee trunk.  I tried decorating some stuff around my yard with finds, but it did not go over well with my wife.

9 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I’m going with Breccia.

Although it has no real value, I kind of see something like that being a good edging for a sidewalk or perhaps surrounding mulch on a tee trunk.  I tried decorating some stuff around my yard with finds, but it did not go over well with my wife.

9 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I’m going with Breccia.

Yeah  I think I have the same problem.