Nugget Shooter Forums

My son's mother is from San Salvador, El Salvador. My son is a Sheriff's Deputy in Kentucky. He took a brick to the helmet two nights ago, seven-stiches, bad concussion. He was trying to help a 71-year-old woman get safely away from "protesters." We need better police officers. Better psych tests and evaluations, better training. We have Thousands of bad, seriously troubled men and women with badges in this Country. 

People that riot and loot, burn and beat, should be shot on sight. period.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From my perspective, and the way I was taught in two different police academies and years of police work (under California law), A police officer (or a citizen) may not use deadly force solely in defe

Im gonna say i dont agree with all of the people saying the United States is full of inequality. I have 5 friends that are a "Minority" and they have awesome careers making over 100 grand a year. Coll

It would be one thing if you had a thick enough skin to see these topics through to the end. But no, you start them and then tattle when you don’t like others responses. That’s the equivalent of the l

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, BMc said:

No Bob, that's more your style than mine. I do applaud your concern for police problems though and I'm sure you're just the man for the job. Unarmed and alone to face the crowd of rioters and looters. Go get em' Bob! Be sure and Let us know how it went!

I'm unarmed in the crowd four nights this week Mac. It hasn't bothered me a bit. I am with good people and we have managed to quell any violence so far. There have been tense moments.

If you were really concerned about your community and how these protests turn out you would leave your weapon at home and come join us. We don't bite.

I'm sure you will continue to pontificate on the protests from the safety of your bubble and imagine how it is out there in the real world. We wouldn't want you to feel naked and unarmed in a community of scum, sub humans and animals that you pretend to be part of.

• Sad 1
14 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

The fox news article? Millions of people read that. It's a trusted news source.
The bigger question is why would you take this opportunity and use this forum to infer I was an idiot? 

I can't speak for Flak but it is your posts that did it for me.

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, Terry Soloman said:

My son's mother is from San Salvador, El Salvador. My son is a Sheriff's Deputy in Kentucky. He took a brick to the helmet two nights ago, seven-stiches, bad concussion. He was trying to help a 71-year-old woman get safely away from "protesters." We need better police officers. Better psych tests and evaluations, better training. We have Thousands of bad, seriously troubled men and women with badges in this Country. 

I hope your son is ok Terry. He is in my prayers. There is no excuse for violence against anyone who is a non combatant. Ever. Especially an officer in the line of duty.

I agree with most of your post 100% Terry. And other than your suggestion that gunfire in a riot situation could help I think you are spot on.

It would be justified if it would not make the overall situation worse. Im not against using force to stop a crime in most circumstances. But I think if you walked a mile in my moccasins at these events you would probably see my point.

From your perspective I can understand how it makes sense. If they had hurt my son I would be shooting mad too.

• Like 1

American carnage: These aren't protests — they're riots. Someone must end the lawlessness.

Military deployments to American cities will be risky and dangerous. But state and local governments seem unable to effectively stop the agitators.

Opinion posted in USA Today...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/06/02/george-floyd-riots-looting-anarchy-antifa-trump-military-column/3123008001/

9 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

I've always been puzzled by the term "anti fascists". Who are the alleged fascists?

Have you done any research on this yet Slim? I'm ready to discuss "fascist" and the term "anti fascist" any time you feel you are ready.

It is really pretty simple to grasp the basic concepts. Just let me know if I can offer any insights. I have some experience in this area and I am always willing to help!

I know your burning desire to understand can't be quenched. If you just read the Wikipedia synopsis it will give you a good basis to start from. It won't take very long and it would at least give you a couple paragraphs of background into the subject that "puzzles" you.

Don't be afraid Slim. Knowledge is power! Especially when dealing with an adversary. Please consider at least knowing what your adversaries believe and how they are organized. It would be a very unwise mistake to be uninformed. A clear picture of your enemy is one of your most valuable weapons.

:41:

1 hour ago, Terry Soloman said:

Terry, from my heart...I am sorry your son got hurt.
My nephew is an Oakland SWAT officer and, like your son, is constantly at the forefront of whatever disturbances come up and in Oakland and Berkley…well you know what it's like. 
It occurred to me as I read your post, that most of the kids on both sides of these protests (and riots), are somebody's son or daughter.

I haven't seen a clearer delineation of a large part of the problem than "... We need better police officers. Better psych tests and evaluations, better training. We have Thousands of bad, seriously troubled men and women with badges in this Country…"
 I also feel that 'qualified immunity' has had a lot to do with the impunity with which police shoot people.

An investigation by Reuters published last month showed that, over the past three years, police won more than half of the excessive force suits in which they claimed qualified immunity, a sharp increase from prior periods. Qualified immunity was “making it easier for officers to kill or injure civilians with impunity,” the news service reported.

I don't think rioters or looters should be shot on sight unless deadly force is necessary because of an imminent and specific threat to life. 

Best wishes to you and your family

• Like 1
  • well done 2

Nobody here has mentioned the 1,000's of violent crimes committed by Americans ON Americans. We need a police force. 
We DO NOT need another Civil War.
I presume you all know what caused the Civil War.

16 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

I presume you all know what caused the Civil War.

Oh I can't wait to hear this one…
Educate us Slim!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Have you done any research on this yet Slim? I'm ready to discuss "fascist" and the term "anti fascist" any time you feel you are ready.

It is really pretty simple to grasp the basic concepts. Just let me know if I can offer any insights. I have some experience in this area and I am always willing to help!

I know your burning desire to understand can't be quenched. If you just read the Wikipedia synopsis it will give you a good basis to start from. It won't take very long and it would at least give you a couple paragraphs of background into the subject that "puzzles" you.

Don't be afraid Slim. Knowledge is power! Especially when dealing with an adversary. Please consider at least knowing what your adversaries believe and how they are organized. It would be a very unwise mistake to be uninformed. A clear picture of your enemy is one of your most valuable weapons.

:41:

OK Bob. Since you insist I did some research and I was told this is a picture of you!

00000000000000000id.jpg

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

OK Bob. Since you insist I did some research and I was told this is a picture of you!

00000000000000000id.jpg

Slim's version of knowledge. Very impressive Slim...

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, FlakMagnet said:

Slim's version of knowledge. Very impressive Slim...

Thanks for your help with the research Flak!

7 hours ago, FlakMagnet said:

well said Bob...

That's what I thought too. A picture tells 1000 words.

• Like 1

And slim stop whining in the moderator forum about being "attacked by a moderator"… when you say dumb stuff you're going to get called on it.
You complain there all the time and it's kind of funny when you're the only one who seems to get picked on…do you ever ask yourself why?
May as well say it here in the thread where everyone can see it. 

3 minutes ago, FlakMagnet said:

And slim stop whining in the moderator forum about being "attacked by a moderator"… when you say dumb stuff you're going to get called on it.
You complain there all the time and it's kind of funny when you're the only one who seems to get picked on…do you ever ask yourself why?

Go ahead Flak. Have at it. 

1 minute ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is political, insulting and off topic Slim! You hit the trifecta on your own thread!

:rasberry:

Yes. It would appear there is an erosion of many aspects of forum rules.

14 minutes ago, FlakMagnet said:

In all fairness Slim is not the only one to get picked on. Mac is often treated unfairly too. 

They are the real victims here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow.........for some reason i was thinking this was a gold forum!! Jeez.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

Yes. It would appear there is an erosion of many aspects of forum rules.

It's a travesty innit?

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Mac is often treated unfairly too.

But Mac is a grown-up and doesn't tattle to the mod's…
Anyway Slim knows it's all in good fun, right Slim?

2 hours ago, FlakMagnet said:

Terry, from my heart...I am sorry your son got hurt.
My nephew is an Oakland SWAT officer and, like your son, is constantly at the forefront of whatever disturbances come up and in Oakland and Berkley…well you know what it's like. 
It occurred to me as I read your post, that most of the kids on both sides of these protests (and riots), are somebody's son or daughter.

I haven't seen a clearer delineation of a large part of the problem than "... We need better police officers. Better psych tests and evaluations, better training. We have Thousands of bad, seriously troubled men and women with badges in this Country…"
 I also feel that 'qualified immunity' has had a lot to do with the impunity with which police shoot people.

An investigation by Reuters published last month showed that, over the past three years, police won more than half of the excessive force suits in which they claimed qualified immunity, a sharp increase from prior periods. Qualified immunity was “making it easier for officers to kill or injure civilians with impunity,” the news service reported.

I don't think rioters or looters should be shot on sight unless deadly force is necessary because of an imminent and specific threat to life. 

Best wishes to you and your family

From my perspective, and the way I was taught in two different police academies and years of police work (under California law), A police officer (or a citizen) may not use deadly force solely in defense of property. Burglary, auto theft, etc. No shooting at moving vehicles, even if it's coming at you. (Unless you can't get out of the way and it's life threatening) No deadly force against rioters or looters unless in self defense or when defending the life of another, unless: the crime committed is so great that it would be justified to use deadly force to prevent a suspect's escape or to prevent the crime. And the threat must be actual, not just perceived, coupled with a present ability to cause death or GBI (Great bodily injury) Murder, attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon etc.

Arson is one of those iffy, borderline areas because fire behavior is often deadly unpredictable. No furtive movement excuses "I thought he reached for a gun" No sorry, that won't fly. You better see the darn gun and not a "drop gun" either. And: No shooting of fleeing felons, unless to prevent the escape of a violent felony suspect: Rape, armed robbery, kidnapping and the other violent felonies mentioned above. AND ABOVE ALL: No unnecessary "probable cause" shootings. Don't shoot somebody just because they are "bought and paid for" Just because there is legal justification to do so. We were taught to disarm suspects not shoot them. I was also taught, If you have to use force when making an arrest, make darn sure it's justified and according to the law: "Only that force which is necessary to effect the arrest"

Police officers are expected to take risks and taking those risks get officers killed. So eventually, officers may start to burn out due to constant stress, disillusionment, and apathy.  They "burn out" and become jaded and short fused. They live with a "revolving door" criminal justice system and "cafeteria style justice" that lets repeat offenders off with little or no punishment and deterrent effect. They see the same criminals committing the same crimes, day after day  and getting arrested by the same officer, who is taunted and mocked for being an Opie Pecker-head, Howdy Doody looking Mother F'er, and the usual variety of familiar colorful adjectives.

Cops are human and they get tired of the abuse and mistreatment too. They are commonly subjected to phony citizen complaints, (Mamma, he called me the N word!), and if you work in an inner city community, you will probably hear "300 years of slavery" every time you make an arrest. After years of a failed,  liberal justice system, so many officers react by resorting to "street justice" - "You might beat the time, but you won't beat the ride" they develop an Us vs Them mentality, and they withdraw, feeling isolated and alone, backed into a corner.

Then the burn out starts.

When cops burn out they sometimes enter a spiral of excessive force, a little here, a little there, until it becomes a routine. The adrenaline is always amped up, shootings and questionable arrests happen, planted evidence issues, citizen complaints increase, prosecutions are thrown out and on and on. By that time a cop may be drinking too much to relieve stress until that becomes the norm. Then, domestic issues, divorce and further isolation. He usually only has other cops for friends. He is stereotyped, disliked and distrusted by the community. He will be told: "If you wanted to be loved, you should have joined the fire department" 

Cops over react and act too soon sometimes because they are in a state of constant stress and a "Pavlov response" can turn out deadly in a confrontation between a citizen and police. Such as the previous case in Minnesota where the officer shot and killed an apparent legally armed black man on a traffic stop (in front of his wife) The victim supposedly made an inadvertent move, not with aggressive intent, and the officer reacted. This kind of stuff is going to happen but it shouldn't. I don't know for sure; I don't think that officer was a "bad cop" but he probably wasn't suited for the job. There are a lot of cops out there that are not suited for the job anymore, IMO (if they ever were) Not necessarily because they are evil racists, but because of a variety of other things such as inability to over come fear and the stress of the job.

I didn't respond to this post expecting that anyone would start being empathetic toward police, it's probably too soon for that, but most citizens aren't aware of, and don't  take into consideration the specific cause and effects, human costs, and occupational demands of being a police officer. In the 60's and 70's minority officers in all of the under served communities was one of our important goals and we got there to an appreciable degree. It was a start.

I believe when changes and reforms come about, it will not be just because of the societal pressures against the justice system from without that we are now seeing, it will also be because young idealistic world changers, some of whom are now considered radicals, will finally figure out that change has to come from within. Just as we did, back in the  60's and 70's. And I don't mean political or revolutionary change as much as I mean evolutionary change, although politics may play an adversarial role. But don't be fooled, the power structure understands force most of all. If you beat your head against a brick wall you accomplish nothing. You have the key and the path to effect positive change, IMO. It's through the front door.

'

• Like 3
  • well done 4