Nugget Shooter Forums

I need help from experts identifying..

Hi, just recently found this rock in my son's bedroom 🙂.. it was attracted to his toy magnets, which got my attention. My son is 6yo and like to collect interesting rocks.

I've done some research and foumd out that meteorite are attracted to magnet..so as some other rocks.. This rock doesn't leave any streaks at all. 

Can you please help identifying?? 

20200518_172843.jpg

20200518_172757.jpg

20200516_230027.jpg

20200516_225804.jpg

Just looking at the first three photos, I'd say it was hematite. But you stated it left no streak so I'm not sure what you have. But it's not a meteorite.

• Like 1

Thanks 👍.. photo number 4  i  took off some with the grinder just to see what is inside..very hard to grind  and no dust at all.   Even though  it is not a meteorite, but surely  got me hooked up to find one!! 😀

• Like 1

Well..it has happened to one forum member who lived on the east coast. He was interested in taking a trip out west to search for meteorites. He and he wife took a hike one day in their neighborhood when he noticed an unusual rock and decided to take it home. Turned out to be a meteorite. 

https://nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/topic/33403-the-fallout-pt2-classified/?tab=comments#comment-308095

There's another post on the same topic but can't find it.

Good luck.

• Like 1