Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello  from Melbourne, i am new to metal detecting, would like to do it as a hobby,  I Am Here To Learn!!!

Welcome to the forum.. There's a lot of great information here and very knowledgeable people to answer your questions.

By the way, are you in Australia or Florida?

Posted (edited)

I'm new to this forum, as you probably already figured out :rolleyes:. I read your forum on leaf blowers for dry washers and realized,  most of the people who I was reading about/from were here in the Phoenix area. I belong to several other forum from other areas. And what a better place to learn, from people in your own vicinity. I know gold is pretty much the same world wide, yet how to find it varies from one location to the next. I'm relatively new to prospecting. I have a 3" dredge, dry washer, sluice box and metal detector. I've pretty much figured out the use of it all, except the metal detector. Which I'm still struggling with (I think). Finding lots of bird shot, .22 bullets and casing, etc. That 1st piece of gold still eludes me. That's were the problem lies. I'm not quite sure we're to look. Close to the creek, away from the creek, or in the creek. Or.... in my back yard?🤔

Edited by DesertTramp
Added silly comment

31 minutes ago, DesertTramp said:

I'm new to this forum, as you probably already figured out :rolleyes:. I read your forum on leaf blowers for dry washers and realized,  most of the people who I was reading about/from were here in the Phoenix area. I belong to several other forum from other areas. And what a better place to learn, from people in your own vicinity. I know gold is pretty much the same world wide, yet how to find it varies from one location to the next. I'm relatively new to prospecting. I have a 3" dredge, dry washer, sluice box and metal detector. I've pretty much figured out the use of it all, except the metal detector. Which I'm still struggling with (I think). Finding lots of bird shot, .22 bullets and casing, etc. That 1st piece of gold still eludes me. That's were the problem lies. I'm not quite sure we're to look. Close to the creek, away from the creek, or in the creek. Or.... in my back yard?🤔

Hello DesertTramp,   Welcome to the forum,........I have a YouTube Channel named: ARIZONA GOLD NUGGET VENTURES that you might check out and Subscribe to that may help you find that 1st of-many-nuggets.  My first  three video's are informative enough to indicate "Where" to look while out metal detecting.  Good Luck out there.  Gary

9 minutes ago, DesertTramp said:

Well you are in the right place to lean where to look by reading the posts . I for one am particularly interested in drones, See my recent post about using one to explore a vertical shaft  mine.  The picture I posted on this post shows a horizontal  mine shaft that the former owner "Says" it has a vein  containing gold in the back wall. It has some water coming out if it but it's not deep , our only attempt at exploration was blocked by an angry resident, a Mother Javalina with 4 babies, could have just as well been  a Mt. Lion. It has Bats also,  So will a drone be able to explore such a place? The area does have placer gold and some very thin seams containing gold but hard rock mining and refining is not for amateurs . It is  (was) not a particulary easy place to reach and as far as I know open for location. I sold the claim some time ago and the person has since failed to renew it.  The person I acquired  in from told me that the  person he got it from  had it  for a long time  and had attempted to dig down from the to of the Mt.and intersect the vein from the tunnel that had tended to go straight up in doing so he ran into problems with the BLM for Non-legal road building and just got old and passed on to my friend who never did much with it and he was moving to Cal. Sp he passed it to me as part of a deal to buy all of his mining equiptment, I became disabled so I was unable too continue with it. There are dozens if nor hundreds of vertical mine shafts in Maricopa county alone, all though the state is closing them as fast as they  can, many of them are within a few feet or yards from major roads and highways. As far as metal detectors are concerned you are on the place to find out , some of the people on here have found Pounds of nuggets with metal detectors, ask questions of them , none of them bite as far I know then with just words. WELCOME

Max

MYOLDCLAIM.jpg

Yes I do believe someone could fly a drone in there. Someone with a bit more experience than I have. They're drone would need to have forward facing lights that illuminate a large area. Me as soon as I turn the GPS off, my drone has a mind of its own. I've been trying to get the nack of flying by the feed coming back to my phone, only to have missed a tree branch and crashing it, last time into a stream. Wish I would have been recording, it was pretty cool seeing the bubbles coming from it as it sank. I got lucky it still works. What I use mine for is to look for areas along a stream or wash that might be worth testing.

Welcome Jovan and Desert Tramp....

As far as drones,  I would be worried about comm to/from the drone if not in "line of sight". If it crashed or got lost in the shaft, it'd be a nice toy for the jav's to play with. 

On 5/28/2020 at 8:25 AM, Morlock said:

By the way, are you in Dununda or Floda?

Fixed it for you:rolleyes:

14 hours ago, DesertTramp said:

Yes I do believe someone could fly a drone in there. Someone with a bit more experience than I have. They're drone would need to have forward facing lights that illuminate a large area. Me as soon as I turn the GPS off, my drone has a mind of its own. I've been trying to get the knack of flying by the feed coming back to my phone, only to have missed a tree branch and crashing it, last time into a stream. Wish I would have been recording, it was pretty cool seeing the bubbles coming from it as it sank. I got lucky it still works. What I use mine for is to look for areas along a stream or wash that might be worth testing.

Thanks for the reply. That is about what I figured was that it would have to have good lights GRUBSTAKE and I (both disabled vets) who is on the forum have been fantasizing  about drones for prospecting , conclusions are that one would have to be able to lift at least  100# and be total programmable and self navigating.  Those appear to cost in excess of  50 grand and then you need a custom designed detector and recovery device . Maybe hijack a Amazon delivery drone ? No , they would probably have jet fighter protection!! Maybe a smaller one with a Smart vacuum like they show on TV to suck up the nuggets the metal detector locates ! ( "Claim Papers? , who needs Stinking Claim papers?)" .    In the mean time they to attend one of Bill's outings and meet some of the people. They will be anxious to show a newby  how they do . it. mean while DIG everything , carry a trash bag for the boot nails and misc stuff so you don't have dig it twice , you will find out that most have came back later and found another nugget  , you have go slow, keep your loop low and level. You see a lot of new owners who act like they are using weed whackers in tough weeds! And remember gold is where you find it ! For instance the LA 's concrete rivers, cracks in concrete parking lots ( Crevice tools and a thirst for wine helps out there :2drink:)  One of my favorite places that has paid for a many tank of gas for me when my wife and I were full time R/V ing was looking behind super markets  in snow country where the sweeper dumps the trash from the parking areas , guaranteed gold (Ear Rings mostly) , coins,Turquoise both loose and in  settings and other goodies. A little nasty at times but but so is a creek or wash where cattle and animals have been.:m2c:

Good Luck , Max