Nugget Shooter Forums

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is interesting. The finish on it is unusual. I would not rule it out. It is either a piece of tramp metal or an iron meteorite. I would polish that face up to a 1500 grit shine and try to

I know Dan, i meant to point that out, but just being hopeful here for the good lad seems to have a decent meteorite suspect. At least we are not talking about sedimentary meteorites from Mars 

IMHO examining what you think might be an impact on the concrete is not a worthwhile effort. The rock is the only thing that really matters. I'm not sure how the concrete or the fence is relative to t

Posted Images

I like the deduction aspect of how this rock found its way onto my fence line mulch.  Seems to me the sidewalk damage was a part of this story.   And really that’s the best part, the journey and process that adds up to the end whatever that is.  While not the straightest path it does provide a layer of support for what the rock is and is good activity for the family as well.   They are all working together on this - looking through fall reports for the last 3 years, coming up with possible outcomes and debunking others.  It really has brought us closer as a family.

With regards to the scientific aspect, If I could get an expert to look at the rock I would be more that happy to go that route as well.   If you know of anyone in the southern WI area that has the knowledge, and is willing to take a look at it, let me know.  Otherwise I will keep digging into areas where resources are available and hopefully build a beautiful story in the process.

Thanks for all your help along the way Bob.

Ken...

• Like 1

Bob is 100% correct.  Just because it happens to be the same size as a chip in the ground is a coincidence, there is no experiment there, no way to test your theory, like that crazy actor that said a banana is proof of god because it fits in our hand...  It is just speculation and will not help you determine what your find is.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:14 AM, Bawaayce said:

Seems to me there is an oval footprint Which is the same shape and size of my iron mystery rock (IMR)

The end of the IMR I took a sample of did have a flattened section.

Not trying to stir up anything just posting aspects that seem to have relevance.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Bob is 100% correct.  Just because it happens to be the same size as a chip in the ground is a coincidence, there is no experiment there, no way to test your theory, like that crazy actor that said a banana is proof of god because it fits in our hand...  It is just speculation and will not help you determine what your find is.

This response is an attempt to put things into perspective.   This is only for fun and some ratios are made up but are done so in a conservative manner.  THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE and does not include benifits from taking performance enhancing drugs or the use of a mobile lunar light cooling device.

Bob has a point with regards to meeting the objective; however, not acknowledging evidence and examining the relationship between artifacts is the definition of naivety.  The process of reviewing and finding coincidences between artifacts, means you're on the right path.

Let's review what's at hand here:

You go for a walk with your dogs, how far would you need to go before you found a 3 inch rock, any shape.  My neighborhood is well kept and while walking my dogs (2.2 miles) I did not locate any rocks of this size.  But for the sake of this example, let's say one mile.  The sidewalks are 4' square so 5280/4 would yield a 1:1320 chance a sidewalk section would have a 3" rock available. 

Finding 3" rock on your walk around my neighborhood is 1:1320  in sidewalk squares 

Now add the sidewalk damage:  What are the odds of having damage to the extent posted in this thread relative to your found 3" rock?.  During my dog walk, I walked for .82 miles before locating any like damage and this across a driveway but it was the only like occurrence so I am going with it.  Using the 4' sidewalk section again, that's equates to 1:1082 per square.  The damage specific to my find is 17' between damage and find.   Rounding up to 20' in both directions that would equate to 1:27 chance to have like damage in relation to your 1:1320 chance of finding a 3" rock.

Finding 3" Rock and like damage within 20 feet of find (both directions) is 1:35640 in sidewalk squares 

Now add the odds of a discernable impression of a shape in that sidewalk damage.  Here is where things get tricky since this is not a measureable attribute that I am aware of, but based on the types of influence that causes damage I can assume this is a very uncommon ratio - Say 1:100 of any like sidewalk damage encountered would have any discernable impression.  I would say the odds here extremely higher but will keep this low for this example:

Finding 3" Rock and like damage within 20 feet of find (both directions) and that damage has a discernable impression is 1:3,564,000 in sidewalk squares 

Now add the odds of your rock size and shape matching the discernable impression.  Again, tricky to calculate but you can assume it would be very unlikely that your found rock would match both size and shape but to keep this conservative, let's say for every 3" rock you find where there is also like sidewalk damage with a discernable impression your rock matches the impression is 1:100.

Finding 3" Rock and like damage within 20 feet of find (both directions) and that damage has a discernable impression and your found rock is the same size and shape of the impression is 1:356,400,000 in sidewalk squares 

Now add the odds of your 3" rock having a discernable flattened shape which could be attributed to the like sidewalk damage?  Again this would be very unlikely but I am going with 1:100 to keep it real. 

Finding 3" Rock and like damage within 20 feet of find (both directions) and that damage has a discernable impression and your found rock is the same size and shape of the impression and your rock shows attributes of like damage is 1:35,640,000,000 in sidewalk squares. 

Assuming no relationship between events, and given 4' squares you would need to walk 27 Million miles before you encounter random conditions equal to what’s at hand.

So is this a God is real cuz a banana is hand sized or is there reason to assume there are relationships between these artifacts? 

FYI I had fun writing this.

Ken...

51 minutes ago, Bawaayce said:

however, not acknowledging evidence   

I do not see any evidence, just a bunch of random events that you are putting together to tell a story, especially when all you are talking about is how something appears to an observer.  To me, that piece of iron has zero appearance of having hit anything, let alone slamming into solid concrete at terminal velocity as you imply, but that's just my opinion.  Neither your opinion of what you see, nor me of mine, is evidence.

You could do that same "odds" exercise for just about any two events and try to draw conclusions, but the conclusions would not be based on anything substantial.  Use the scientific method, not some guessing.

Find a meteorite scientist who can study your find, and if it turns out to be from outer space then you have your first piece of evidence: a space rock.  After that evidence is established you can start testing other elements of the find circumstance to see if there is more of a story to tell.  If it's not from space, then you'll save a bunch of headache puzzling over the odds of chance events.

Edited by Mikestang
14 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

I do not see any evidence, just a bunch of random events that you are putting together to tell a story, especially when all you are talking about is how something appears to an observer.  To me, that piece of iron has zero appearance of having hit anything, let alone slamming into solid concrete at terminal velocity as you imply, but that's just my opinion.  Neither your opinion of what you see, nor me of mine, is evidence.

You could do that same "odds" exercise for just about any two events and try to draw conclusions, but the conclusions would not be based on anything substantial.  Use the scientific method, not some guessing.

Find a meteorite scientist who can study your find, and if it turns out to be from outer space then you have your first piece of evidence: a space rock.  After that evidence is established you can start testing other elements of the find circumstance to see if there is more of a story to tell.  If it's not from space, then you'll save a bunch of headache puzzling over the odds of chance events.

Are there two Mikestangs'?

Mikestang1 May 29th "If this is an iron meteorite, any misshaping of the pieces happened when it exploded and would not have occurred on the ground.  The forces required to bend and twist solid iron are much greater than can be produced by a terminal velocity impact of such a small piece of metal."

Mikestang2 June 29th "To me, that piece of iron has zero appearance of having hit anything, let alone slamming into solid concrete at terminal velocity as you imply, but that's just my opinion"

I think your efforts would be more appreicated in the lunar cooling thread.

• Hmmmmmm 1

Mike is telling it like it is. He is giving you excellent advice. 

He is trying to tell you that the deformation happened as a result of detonation. And not because of an impact. 

He is 100% correct. I think everyone commenting here has made it clear they agree.

You should seek knowledge rather than pondering the cracks in the sidewalk. You have a good rock worthy of further investigation. You came here for our "expert advice" and our expert advice is to forget about the crack in the sidewalk, paint the fence and seek someone who can evaluate your specimen. 

If you are not that interested in pursuing it and just want to daydream or ponder possibilities then that is just fine too. You don't need our advice for that. But don't get frustrated because you are getting our advice. Because that is what you asked for 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Bawaayce said:

Mikestang1 May 29th "If this is an iron meteorite, any misshaping of the pieces happened when it exploded and would not have occurred on the ground.  The forces required to bend and twist solid iron are much greater than can be produced by a terminal velocity impact of such a small piece of metal."

Mikestang2 June 29th "To me, that piece of iron has zero appearance of having hit anything, let alone slamming into solid concrete at terminal velocity as you imply, but that's just my opinion"

Just the one me, as you can tell by the consistency of both those statements.

4 hours ago, Bawaayce said:

Nothing about those two statements is contradictory.