Nugget Shooter Forums

I know you long time desert rats know a lot more about swamp coolers than I do. Maybe you'd like to chime in. :brows:
I've had a few small portable units before and they worked OK but now I've got one of these Hessaire MC18M's and it's just what the doctor ordered for my RV.  
I got a great deal on a used one last fall but they sell them in a lot of places and they will pay for themselves in a short period of time considering the power that air conditioners use. I power mine with solar all day. 
The best price I see right now in on Amazon at $137.99....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HFGJ3T/?tag=choicesdepot-20

• Like 1

I wet a microfiber towel, throw it over my head, then use a straw lifeguard hat when walking around outside.  Periodic dousing of the hat keeps the evap cooling active.

Your setup sounds great for theinside of your trailer.

• Like 1

May splurge for one of these for work this summer.  Ac brings the temp to between 90 and 100

I have had swamp coolers for years. 

They work great until the humidity goes up. Humid air will not evaporate the water.

I would think the best way to operate yours is to have it so it can suck in outside air and expel it through a window on the other side of the RV.

If you keep it inside with no fresh air, well, you will find out why they are called swamp coolers :)
Tom H.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, TomH said:

I have had swamp coolers for years. 

They work great until the humidity goes up. Humid air will not evaporate the water.

I would think the best way to operate yours is to have it so it can suck in outside air and expel it through a window on the other side of the RV.

If you keep it inside with no fresh air, well, you will find out why they are called swamp coolers :)
Tom H.

Thanks Tom. I have it up front with a window partly open and I have a fan in the back blowing the air and humidity out another window. It's working really well so far. Had temps up to 107 but next week it's going up to 115. So far the humidity has been low but I can feel the difference that it makes already. I have 2 ac units but can only run one at a time with the amps I have available. If that won't cut it I can crank up the generator and run them both -- or head north like I've always done before.  

• Like 1

Where are you at that it is getting that hot already? Its still not that hot in Az.

Tom H.

Evap coolers are generally mounted outside and draw in hot dry air. Hot air has a greater capacity to hold water. So lots of evaporation and cooling. You can get about 12 degrees drop if your cooling system is working right. 

If you recirculate air with an evap cooler especially in a small space the air temp goes down rapidly but so does the capacity to hold water. So you only get 5-6 degree temperature drop before the cooler quits cooling.

Air at 100 degrees holds a lot of water. So a little RV will have a few gallons in the air. Much of that will fall out of the air at night when the temps cool. So each night things will get damp.

That will make the cooler work even less the next day. Instead of evaporation in the cooler you will get evaporation from the condensed water inside the RV. Your air temp drop will reduce. 

Opening windows helps the moisture problem. But it brings in hot air. So again your efficiency is reduced. Still only about 6 degrees at the outlet. 

If you rig an evap cooler outside and duct it into an open window on one end. Then open a window at the other end of the RV you will be shining. Cooled air will constantly come in that is 12-15 degrees below ambient. Warmer air loaded with moisture goes ou the other end. Your space is cooler all day and evaporation is steady. Moisture in the air is as low as possible. And condensation is negligible as long as you run the fan for an hour on "vent" in the evenings when the desert cools.

• Like 3

This is how mine is rigged. 

20200523_085703.jpg

It will get 15 degrees cooling easily. 

In our desert we are super high and super dry. Everyone uses swamp coolers here. The temps rarely get over 100 and it hardly ever rains. The only time it gets hot inside is the day after a big rain while the air is absorbing all the natural moisture. As soon as the air gets hot and can evaporate a little the cooler starts working again.

• Like 2

Mastercool is the only way to go.

Is that a 12" pad on your cooler Bob?

• Like 1

Pretty nifty unit! May not need one here for awhile, however. We got an inch of snow this morning. I'd of loved that unit in Wyoming a few years ago.

Jim

12 hours ago, TomH said:

Where are you at that it is getting that hot already? Its still not that hot in Az.

Tom H.

Not sure what you call hot. Supposed to be around 111 in Phoenix this Thursday .  . . :desertsmile:

• Like 1

I was curious about the solar power you use to power it....is there a small portable self contained solar power source that would run a small swamp cooler like this? Or would you need a couple big solar panels on your roof to do it? Just wondering if there was a simple self contained unit that you could easily move , that would power a small cooler like that one? 

53 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Mastercool is the only way to go.

Is that a 12" pad on your cooler Bob?

Yes. A 12" pad.

I can make a pad last about 4 years if I circulate a couple gallons of vinegar for a day or two in the fall before hosing everything off.

I don't have a bleeder line because it wastes too much water. But I do add a half gallon of vinegar every couple weeks. I'll let that circulate for 24 hours and then pull the plug and rinse it all out. 

The El Paso Electric Company paid me $700 to switch from a standard evap to the Mastercool. Wrote me a check they did! I paid $725 for the unit five years ago. I had a duct made and bought some siding to build the chase. The rest was recycled scrap lumber I had in the wood pile. I have a couple days work and about $250 invested into the entire setup.

I hardly ever run the fan on high. And only rarely can I run it all night. It does save a pile of electrons and it keeps my little place chilly all summer.

It offset my $250 investment the first year of bills. And has offset more than the electric company's subsidy in the time since. 

I bought a pump and a $100 replacement pad this spring. Other than $7.50 a year in vinegar that is all the maintenance costs so far. So I think it has been a mighty good value for me and the electric company.

• well done 2

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Evap coolers are generally mounted outside and draw in hot dry air. Hot air has a greater capacity to hold water. So lots of evaporation and cooling. You can get about 12 degrees drop if your cooling system is working right. 

If you recirculate air with an evap cooler especially in a small space the air temp goes down rapidly but so does the capacity to hold water. So you only get 5-6 degree temperature drop before the cooler quits cooling.

Air at 100 degrees holds a lot of water. So a little RV will have a few gallons in the air. Much of that will fall out of the air at night when the temps cool. So each night things will get damp.

That will make the cooler work even less the next day. Instead of evaporation in the cooler you will get evaporation from the condensed water inside the RV. Your air temp drop will reduce. 

Opening windows helps the moisture problem. But it brings in hot air. So again your efficiency is reduced. Still only about 6 degrees at the outlet. 

If you rig an evap cooler outside and duct it into an open window on one end. Then open a window at the other end of the RV you will be shining. Cooled air will constantly come in that is 12-15 degrees below ambient. Warmer air loaded with moisture goes ou the other end. Your space is cooler all day and evaporation is steady. Moisture in the air is as low as possible. And condensation is negligible as long as you run the fan for an hour on "vent" in the evenings when the desert cools.

When our monsoons hit our coolers die. And things start rusting in the shop. Constant battle. I still run it as it keeps the shop at about 85-90 and tolerable.Better than 110-115 outside.  I have always had the 4 sided aspen pad cooler, ( I do miss the smell of the pads for the first couple of weeks)  but this year Luke and I put a brand new Mastercool on the shop. Right now I have to turn it off sometimes as it gets down to 68F.  

I coated the inside with 2 part epoxy, put another coat of paint on the outside and have a bleed off to keep the calcium build up down. Great for watering trees and plants in the yard! Our water here is bad.

Tom H. 

Excited....but not so excited, to see how it does in the latter parts of our summer.  It costs 2-2.50 dollars a day to run.  Im good with that!
Tom H. 

94017823_10214082658775320_2348405847354245120_o.jpg

94568614_10214082659015326_7199300086512222208_o.jpg

• Like 5
  • well done 1

Hey Tom!

Looks like a sweet setup. The extra paint will be good. Mine shows a little rust after 5 years. I was considering doing the same thing.

Try circulating vinegar overnight a couple times a year. It sure keeps the minerals from glazing the pad. And I never have the "swamp smell" that you get sometimes. 

We have hard water too and I use vinegar a lot for cleaning. I get it in bulk 4 gallons at a time for about $7. It is the best stuff I have found. It smells a little like pickles for a day but then makes the air fresh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caliche Chris said:

I was curious about the solar power you use to power it....is there a small portable self contained solar power source that would run a small swamp cooler like this? Or would you need a couple big solar panels on your roof to do it? Just wondering if there was a simple self contained unit that you could easily move , that would power a small cooler like that one? 

This Hessaire MC18M takes less than an amp but I don't know of any "small portable" systems. This is a good thread about solar on this forum....

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Yes. A 12" pad.

I can make a pad last about 4 years if I circulate a couple gallons of vinegar for a day or two in the fall before hosing everything off.

I don't have a bleeder line because it wastes too much water. But I do add a half gallon of vinegar every couple weeks. I'll let that circulate for 24 hours and then pull the plug and rinse it all out. 

The El Paso Electric Company paid me $700 to switch from a standard evap to the Mastercool. Wrote me a check they did! I paid $725 for the unit five years ago. I had a duct made and bought some siding to build the chase. The rest was recycled scrap lumber I had in the wood pile. I have a couple days work and about $250 invested into the entire setup.

I hardly ever run the fan on high. And only rarely can I run it all night. It does save a pile of electrons and it keeps my little place chilly all summer.

It offset my $250 investment the first year of bills. And has offset more than the electric company's subsidy in the time since. 

I bought a pump and a $100 replacement pad this spring. Other than $7.50 a year in vinegar that is all the maintenance costs so far. So I think it has been a mighty good value for me and the electric company.

At the risk of being too personal and possibly biased.  ( I'm a dog person.) :D   Here's my mutts enjoying their swamp cooler.

From the top, my 15 year old Aussie mix.  In the middle, our 14 year old dachshund mix.  The last, is our 'new' dog, a 3 year old chow mix.

Last year I bought this Mastercool unit on Craigslist for $500.  Cleaned out the insides and put a new pump.  Works great.  Currently blowing 70 degree air.

I had to pour the slab it sits on, which is 55"x55".  I went a little crazy while preparing the 'hole' for the concrete and removed a couple wheelbarrows full of dirt to use around the yard for filling low spots, etc.  I had lots of broken bricks and rocks laying around which I used to fill up some space in the hole I created.  But even though, it was twenty-nine 60lb. bags when I was done.  :th:  I had 22 bags on the premises and had to run to HD for another 10 bags before the concrete set up.  Learned some things on that one....:)

I use a bleeder hose on my unit.  All of the water that is bled is fed by gravity to the dog's swamp cooler, where it is used again.  I just removed the float since the water is under little pressure.  I also have a bleeder on the smaller pump and that one gravity feeds to the navel orange tree on the front corner of my property.  I figure if I 'use' the water 3 times, then I can justify the bleeder system.

20200523_102907.jpg

20200523_103233.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

This Hessaire MC18M takes less than an amp but I don't know of any "small portable" systems. This is a good thread about solar on this forum....

Cool, thank you! 

Well Luke, if we ever have a 10.0 earth quake in AZ. your swamp cooler will be the last thing standing :ya:

Good use of the water also. 

Tom H. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LukeJ said:

At the risk of being too personal and possibly biased.  ( I'm a dog person.) :D   Here's my mutts enjoying their swamp cooler.

From the top, my 15 year old Aussie mix.  In the middle, our 14 year old dachshund mix.  The last, is our 'new' dog, a 3 year old chow mix.

Last year I bought this Mastercool unit on Craigslist for $500.  Cleaned out the insides and put a new pump.  Works great.  Currently blowing 70 degree air.

I had to pour the slab it sits on, which is 55"x55".  I went a little crazy while preparing the 'hole' for the concrete and removed a couple wheelbarrows full of dirt to use around the yard for filling low spots, etc.  I had lots of broken bricks and rocks laying around which I used to fill up some space in the hole I created.  But even though, it was twenty-nine 60lb. bags when I was done.  :th:  I had 22 bags on the premises and had to run to HD for another 10 bags before the concrete set up.  Learned some things on that one....:)

I use a bleeder hose on my unit.  All of the water that is bled is fed by gravity to the dog's swamp cooler, where it is used again.  I just removed the float since the water is under little pressure.  I also have a bleeder on the smaller pump and that one gravity feeds to the navel orange tree on the front corner of my property.  I figure if I 'use' the water 3 times, then I can justify the bleeder system.

20200523_102907.jpg

20200523_103233.jpg

I like the cooler mounted at ground level. So much easier to service and no roof leaks and penetration problems.

Is it ducted into a central duct system or does it dump air straight into a room?

Those dogs have it made Luke. You can tell they are way too comfortable.

Mine has his own air conditioner too. I posted a pic of it. He is in there with his head on my pillow enjoying it right now. 

Meanwhile im out here in my shop in the heat. I have a three panel side draft in this building but the pads are saggy and it is not very efficient. Before it gets too hot I need to fix that...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I like the cooler mounted at ground level. So much easier to service and no roof leaks and penetration problems.

Is it ducted into a central duct system or does it dump air straight into a room?

Those dogs have it made Luke. You can tell they are way too comfortable.

Mine has his own air conditioner too. I posted a pic of it. He is in there with his head on my pillow enjoying it right now. 

Meanwhile im out here in my shop in the heat. I have a three panel side draft in this building but the pads are saggy and it is not very efficient. Before it gets too hot I need to fix that...

The cooler came with the rolling stand.  After the slab was cured I was able to roll that thing by myself on a runway of plywood strips.  It mates up to the 20"x20" hole I cut in the side of my shop.  I purchased some rubber isolator machine pads and cut some all-thread so I could adjust the height.  Once it's positioned, I just lift it up on the feet and off of the wheels.  It stands alone and isn't mounted or attached to the wall in any way.  There is less than a 1mm gap around, but minimal losses since it just blows through.  Any vibration from an unbalanced fan doesn't vibrate my stucco wall apart since it's not touching.

• Like 2
  • well done 1

Sweet. It sounds like a good idea.

Here is the unit on my shop. It is mounted too high to service from the ground. Pretty much the same idea as yours though. It does not touch the metal building anywhere. I used foam pipe insulation to create a gasket. Kinda like a flexible duct connector. 

20200523_185120.jpg

Here it is on the inside. I patched up the gap with closed cell foam and finished it with that awesome duct tape they use to make asbestos enclosures. 

20200523_185859.jpg

The shop is 900 s.f. in one big room. The cooler keeps it frosty on the hottest days. I have just been using the vent but will need to repack the frames with excelsior and get it going next week. 

We haven't gone above 98 degrees yet so it is hardly needed. That has only been for a couple hours in the afternoon. Nights are still in the low 50's. I had 47 degrees last Wednesday morning! So the inside of the shop stays comfortable. That will change fast when the evening temperature profiles get hotter and longer.

• Like 1
  • well done 2

2 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Sweet. It sounds like a good idea.

Here is the unit on my shop. It is mounted too high to service from the ground. Pretty much the same idea as yours though. It does not touch the metal building anywhere. I used foam pipe insulation to create a gasket. Kinda like a flexible duct connector. 

20200523_185120.jpg

Here it is on the inside. I patched up the gap with closed cell foam and finished it with that awesome duct tape they use to make asbestos enclosures. 

20200523_185859.jpg

The shop is 900 s.f. in one big room. The cooler keeps it frosty on the hottest days. I have just been using the vent but will need to repack the frames with excelsior and get it going next week. 

We haven't gone above 98 degrees yet so it is hardly needed. That has only been for a couple hours in the afternoon. Nights are still in the low 50's. I had 47 degrees last Wednesday morning! So the inside of the shop stays comfortable. That will change fast when the evening temperature profiles get hotter and longer.

Does that sign to the lower left in the picture say Donald has brains with a high IQ? .......oh god......I did it... :) Why did I hit submit reply !!!!!!!

Tom H. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4