Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, grubstake said:

Slim, I'm waiting for that 10.0 then I'll get worried! 

 

Well Grubstake, I was about 200 miles away from a 7.3 quake and that was as wild a ride as I'd like to experience. I'm 327 miles from that 6.5 and it woke me up so you can have the 10.0 if you like.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, grubstake said:

Slim, I'm waiting for that 10.0 then I'll get worried! 

 

Not sure you would want to wait 'til then Grubs. Might be a little much. I went through the 1994 Northridge Ca. 6.6 quake when I lived in Northridge. It felt like a near miss from a B-52 strike. Buildings and freeways collapsed, fires burning everywhere, gas lines ruptured and hissing loudly, basic utility services out, no lights, except for generator/battery/gas powered. My front door was jammed and my back/garage door had buckled shut, so I had to crawl under it to get out and start turning off the broken gas lines in the neighborhood. Lasted about 3-4 days. Those who were prepared, tended to ride it out OK, and able to help others who weren't. I happened to have two outside freezers packed full of venison, beef, pork, and fresh caught ocean fish. Fortunately, I had a lot of propane bottles for the BBQ, and lanterns to go with it. After the safety issues were dealt with, it was a non-stop block party but not something I would want to go through again. The devastation had to be seen to be believed. Several people killed and injured. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It shakes from Tuscon to Tucumcari.

Tehachape to Tonapah.

:inocent:

And shaken every kind of rig that's ever been made . . .

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BMc said:

Not sure you would want to wait 'til then Grubs. Might be a little much. I went through the 1994 Northridge Ca. 6.6 quake when I lived in Northridge. It felt like a near miss from a B-52 strike. Buildings and freeways collapsed, fires burning everywhere, gas lines ruptured and hissing loudly, basic utility services out, no lights, except for generator/battery/gas powered. My front door was jammed and my back/garage door had buckled shut, so I had to crawl under it to get out and start turning off the broken gas lines in the neighborhood. Lasted about 3-4 days. Those who were prepared, tended to ride it out OK, and able to help others who weren't. I happened to have two outside freezers packed full of venison, beef, pork, and fresh caught ocean fish. Fortunately, I had a lot of propane bottles for the BBQ, and lanterns to go with it. After the safety issues were dealt with, it was a non-stop block party but not something I would want to go through again. The devastation had to be seen to be believed. Several people killed and injured. 

 I was camped in my Motor Home on the dry lake in Nevada just off of 95 and 93 intersection about 2 miles off the highway. Very near the large electric towers that cross the dry lake and sitting headed N & S. We were eating supper and had the blinds closed when it started rocking side ways. My first thought was that someone had slipped up and was  doing it as a joke . I said I'll give them a joke as I grabbed my pistol and went to jerk the door open , I could hardly stand up to the sideways rocking. As soon as I got the door open I knew it was an earthquake. I could see the electric towers swaying because of the background lighting from from the casino near the 95/93 intersection , I was glad I was not close enough to them to be hit if they fell. Getting the radio on Las Vegas was evacuating the casinos and I could see lights going out in Henderson and Boulder City. Thinking of what to do I decided to sit tight , I was in the best place to be. The next day after hearing of all the damage  I took my Samurai to the west up in the canyon I had been dry washing in that day . There was landslides in the whole area and still lots of dust in the air. The wild burros that lived in the canyons were out on the dry lake bed. I do not want to be closer than that to one ever again ! I can just imagine what it was like in Northridge !

The BIG one is coming and it will take the San Andres fault all the way from Baja Mexico to the end. All those little oasis's along I-8 are on the main fault.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was here In  Mariposa, ca when that Northridge Quake hit, and also when that big one in Sanfran. hit and all the free ways pancaked. Grubstake

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BMc said:

And shaken every kind of rig that's ever been made . . .

Driving the back roads so I wouldn't get way-hayed . . . :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a dire situation frought with danger and uncertainty.

I hope that when the unconstitutional road closures end the oppressors don't force people to wear seat belts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is a dire situation frought with danger and uncertainty.

I hope that when the unconstitutional road closures end the oppressors don't force people to wear seat belts.

I heard earlier today from my neighbor who is a truck driver , he was routed south bound on 95  to LV thence I-15 to San Diego. The HP stopped him and told him he could not proceed on 95. His company sets his routes and schedules  his routes and delivery/pickup times to the minute and he cannot change routing without calling the company and it is all tracked in real time by satellite , they can't even make a "U" turn without calling it in and has to have a "Truck safe spot" to park. So if you can't find an toilet paper blame it on the California HP. Trucking is so over regulated these days it is a wonder that that anything makes it on time.

  • Like 1
  • Irritated 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dakota Slim said:

Sisolak declares emergency over quake-damaged roads

I can see it all now. Sisolak will put Road Closed signs all over the place. 

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/may/21/sisolak-declares-emergency-over-quake-damaged-road/

You where right on the money with than one!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 3:28 AM, Gilaoro said:

 

The BIG one is coming and it will take the San Andres fault all the way from Baja Mexico to the end. All those little oasis's along I-8 are on the main fault.

Just pray it doesn't happen in the next 6 or 7 months.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When the Andreas Fault Zone unzips ,it may just blow  through Searles Valley/Trona, "Walker Lane"/ Eastern California Shear Zone, instead of curving through the LA Basin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

When the Andreas Fault Zone unzips ,it may just blow  through Searles Valley/Trona, "Walker Lane"/ Eastern California Shear Zone, instead of curving through the LA Basin.

I know the Quartzsite Yacht Club is ready!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Quartzitians will still have to drive west ten or so miles to the Rio Colorado@ Blythe to find a beach

( with water, that is).

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Quartzitians will still have to drive west ten or so miles to the Rio Colorado@ Blythe to find a beach

( with water, that is).

They say the beach will be at Ehrenberg. Blythe will go bye bye. :old:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We are both"spitballin", of course...For even Blythe to become a (saltwater)beach,it wouldhave to drop in elevation over 260 feet(Ehrenburg, over 300').

Some geologists posit that Reno will be on the beach- in severalmillion years.

The San Andreas Zone slides sideways, for the most part, though down near the Salton Sea and the Gulf, it also acts as a "spreading center"  where the Pacific plate is slowly pulling apart from the American plate.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Morlock said:

Just pray it doesn't happen in the next 6 or 7 months.

Why Not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 10:17 AM, BMc said:

Chris, The epicenter was 32 miles from Tonopah. Maybe a new fault line opened up with new gold exposure. Since you are closer to it than I am, could you please run by there, check it out and let me Know? 

Thanks, :black_knight_standing:

Boy am I glad I didn't go up there. They have been hundreds if not thousands of after shocks -- many over 4!

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/#{"autoUpdate"%3A["autoUpdate"]%2C"basemap"%3A"grayscale"%2C"feed"%3A"1day_m25"%2C"listFormat"%3A"default"%2C"mapposition"%3A[[37.82171764783966%2C-118.98193359375]%2C[38.4428334985915%2C-117.54547119140624]]%2C"overlays"%3A["plates"]%2C"restrictListToMap"%3A["restrictListToMap"]%2C"search"%3Anull%2C"sort"%3A"newest"%2C"timezone"%3A"utc"%2C"viewModes"%3A["list"%2C"map"]%2C"event"%3A"nn00738331"}

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...