Nugget Shooter Forums

Posted (edited)

Hello, maybe someone yesterday give me a good luck.

So, today in the dog walk (again) i found one small rock. 2x1,5x 2,5 cm, so big.

It's heavy and have huge attraction to magnet. 

I think the flame is from iron.

Τhe carob ball with the two crystals is the only point without any magnet attraction. I think the crystals is olivine.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Edited by ivigo

Not a meteorite, nice example of iron ore. Olivine crystals do not mean you have a meteorite. No fusion crust, and does not seem to have any other meteorite traits. Keep up the study, if you want to solve the problem. 

• Like 2

Because now one write anything yet like is not looks a meteorite maybe is hematite and all that i have to say is a massive iron inside.

Not sure but looks massive. If is meteorite then is unusual in shape ,etc.

4.JPG

1 minute ago, hardtimehermit said:

Not a meteorite, nice example of iron ore. Olivine crystals do not mean you have a meteorite. No fusion crust, and does not seem to have any other meteorite traits. Keep up the study, if you want to solve the problem. 

Sorry but you write before my new post.

Posted (edited)

Maybe, but, iron ore have metallic luster and not metallic looks.  My magnetite stone with 96% iron one of the best in % iron magnetite stone don't looks like this. It's black ....

To be something iron or iron stone meteorite you say they need to have matallic iron . This one have metallic iron but is iron ore. I never have seen any iron ore (magnetite or hematite or other iron mineral ) with metallic iron inside.

Is not possible to be iron ore and  not possible to be mineral (iron) slag becauce have olivine crystals orwhat  is....

I found this iron meteorite photo very similar to this rock. fell somewhere in Australia.

Is that rust or dirt? On achondrites like Millbillillie its obvious, but on irons like Henbury, Boxhole and Mundrabillia its not so obvious. Mostly its rust. Sometimes it a combination of the two. And in those wonderful non-sanatized examples, its authentic Australian soil which just happened to be the only documented witness to the fall of Mundrabillia.

mund_exterior.jpg

Edited by ivigo

Maybe we can help you find a meteorite.  Where are you 'walking your dog' so that you would have found these pieces?  We can tell you if a known meteorite has fallen near you and you can look near it for more pieces.