Nugget Shooter Forums

Is cheaper Metal Detector worth it?

Well that is a question that gets asked a lot on here. Unfortunately the questions always end up being, what are you willing to spend? What are you hunting? And how serious are you going to be about it? There are SO many different types of detectors that we literally could spend all night discussing them. So maybe answer the 3 questions above and we can go from there. Just my thoughts, but there are way more great folks on here with lots of great answers so stick it out and see what is said. Good luck!

Dan

• Like 5

The level of success you want to reach depends on the level of capability of each detector. The higher the level of gold dedicated detector you have combined with knowledge of where you are hunting will be key factors. You get a cheap detector you will have less than good results.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Goosebump said:

Thanks to both of you. Mostly high capability detectors are expensive. Is Fisher Gold Pro really suitable for beginners?

In my opinion, a Fisher GB Pro is suitable for a beginner, since it is a basic turn on and go machine. I have used one successfully for several years (along with other more advanced and expensive detectors) The GB Pro tends to do a good job when used within it's capabilities, which generally speaking, is for small, shallow gold nuggets. I have taken friends out who were first time gold hunters, who actually found gold with my GB Pro, that I gave them to use. Even though it's only 19 kHz, which is fairly low for a gold machine; when used with the small coil, it can be a good choice, since it is light weight, uses a 9 Volt battery, and has both an audio and visual target indicator. If you put the coil over gold at 3-5 inches, (depending upon nugget size), and dig all targets when it beeps, it can reliably do the job, IMO. It is not a ML GM 1000, however. But for the money, if you can find a used one in good condition, I would consider it, not a bad way to start out.

Mac

• Like 1

Lots of gold -- including huge nuggets -- have been found with a Fisher Gold Bug 2 but much more important is the time and effort you put into your search for gold. It has often been said that a metal detector sitting in a closet will find only dust. A lady friend of mine once asked me to recommend a metal detector  and my answer was "Do you want to dig big deep holes or little small ones?" That was all she needed to know, because she didn't want to dig at all.
Then, as all of us know there is the "trash threshold". 99.9% of what you dig up will be worthless trash. Nails, bottle caps, bullets, lead shot, steel shot, shell casings, DEEP aluminum cans, etc. etc. etc. Everybody has a limit to how many trash targets they will dig in a day. 
Last but not least, there is only so much gold out there, and you have to go where it is. That takes research. 
To summarize, any metal detector that works will find gold. If you buy a used machine that's popular and well know, it is an investment and there will always be a market for it if you decide to sell it. That may not be the case with other low end machines.

• Like 1

A GoldBug Pro is a great machine to learn on i have heard. If you could spend just a little bit more, i would go with the GoldBug2 but the learning curve is a bit painful. But if the Pro is your direction you are headed,  by all means grab yourself one. Good luck to ya!

• Like 2

In my experience there are guys who detect for a while and then drift away from it. Then there are guys that are obsessed with it.

If you think you are going to go gung ho for nugget shooting buy the very best machine you can afford. 

If you are more of a hobbyist that can't devote a lot of time to detecting then start with a less expensive outfit.

It takes many hours to develop your detecting skills. You can do that with almost any machine. You will spend a lot of time learning how to locate and dig stuff. So at first the machine does not matter much.

Once you develop the basic skills to locate and recover targets you will hit the limits of your machine pretty quickly. It is at that point you will start looking for a better machine. 

So try to look a year into the future. If you will be hitting it hard and are serious about finding things then buy the best detector you can afford.

I use a Gold Bug 2, a Whites GM2 and a ML SD2100. I have found pounds of gold with them. Many pounds of iron meteorites. So my advice would be a Gold Bug 2 with the little elliptical coil for learning the ropes of nugget shooting. I have been using one for 25 years and I haven't outgrown it yet.

• Like 2

I agree with Bob...I, too, have used the Goldbug 1, Goldbug 2,  most of the Whites Goldmasters, (GM2, GM3, GM VSAT, GMT), Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Minelab SD2100, Minelab GPX 4500,... Found good gold with all...Notice there's no Garrett machines on the list...I hate them ... Good headphones are important too, I favor the Black Widows...Hope this hellps... Whichever you choose, put in the time and concentration... Good luck, Cheers, Unc

• Like 2

I agree with Uncle Ron stay away from Garrett. You will be wasting your money. Are you by chance a veteran? If so you can get a new Minelab Gold Monster 1000 for $680. I would go with the gm1000. It is the easiest detector to learn. It will go way deeper than a goldbug pro or 2. Put simply it will outhunt them hands down. Like was said to you, do your research on where to best find nuggets. If you haven't bought my book yet, then it will benefit you to get it. Lots of nugget hunting info.

goldseekerbooks.com

If you have questions give me a call

Reese Townes 1-406-309-1009

IMG_20200407_111635982.jpg

IMG_20200407_111118124.jpg

If you check the forum, there's detectors for sale.  Like any ad, the prices are nearly always open to negotiation.  A lot of them have been on the market a while.  Craigslist has them, but I'm very cautious about what I get off craigslist all paranoid about buying counterfeits or stolen metal detectors.  Sellers should not be afraid to answer questions and send a serial number of a used device.  If they don't, its a red flag to stay away.

Also, how would you make it to these goldfields?  My 4 door ford Focus sedan is not very well suited to get there, but I've got an older 4WD pickup that is, but I say a prayer each time I go out that I won't have to walk to where my wife can pick me up, again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1