Nugget Shooter Forums
BMc

STUCK ON GOLD-AZ NUGGIES!

Back in Feb, when the world was still perceived to be more or less normal, a couple of friends joined me to check out a hand dug hardrock mine/prospect  that I hadn't had a chance to detect yet. No claims records or markers could be located and the mine wasn't currently being worked. The miners had crushed the ore and shoveled it onto the crude wooden ore chute that snaked down the side of the ridge to the creek below. 

The country rock of the mine adit, (from the outside looking in), appeared to be a mushy red quartz conglomerate that was unstable. No hard quartz lead was observed. After a few minutes of examination, It was decided that the large,  indignant pack rat that currently occupied the adit could continue to reside there undisturbed. No gold was found but we  drank up the "we found gold" beer anyway.

Next day, I soloed to a spot in the Bradshaw's where I'd found gold before. It had rained pretty hard a few days days before and the ground was dry on the surface, but still damp a few inches down. I got into the area OK at first, then ran into a heavily washed out cut across the road, so I turned around going back out the way I came in. As I angled down to cross a steep "V" shaped creek where I'd had no problem coming in, the mushy schist bedrock crumbled and dropped my rear bumper down enough where my military style pintle hitch buried up, causing the bumper to be high centered with no rear wheel traction. Bummer. 

I cleared part of the hang up with a sledge hammer and chisel but finally had to resort to a high lift jack and stacked rocks for clearance and traction. While I was gathering rocks in the creek, I noticed where the bank had eroded off, and exposed a couple of rusty, vuggy chunks of quartz which looked interesting. After I was able to get my truck off the high center, and up the road a ways, I went back and started detecting the strech of the creek downstream from the where I found the rotten quartz. Most of the little cuties were shallow in the stream bed and a few were on top of rocks but out of sight covered with sand and dirt. I've been laughed at before for taking my truck and trailer into bad spots, but so far, I managed to get out, and after I started finding those little dinks (small though they may be) I forgot all about being stuck!AZ GOLD-2020-NUGS.PNG 

DSCN0736.JPG

DSCN0738.JPG

DSCN0739.JPG

DSCN0740.JPG

DSCN0741.JPG

DSCN0743.JPG

DSCN0744.JPG

DSCN0745.JPG

DSCN0746.JPG

DSCN0737.JPG

DSCN0751.JPG

DSCN0752.JPG

DSCN0747.JPG

DSCN0748.JPG

DSCN0749.JPG

CAN AM-TUNDRA.JPG

• Like 17
  • well done 4

I just knew you drove a toyota , nice bit of detecting too .

• Like 2

The brand name of your rear tire is a bit ironic.

Nice gold !!

:)

You were meant to get stuck otherwise you might not have stop and found the jackpot!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

You were meant to get stuck otherwise you might not have stop and found the jackpot!

I agree with you Skip, There are times in the past that things have happened to hamper what I was doing an turned out to be a God send in disguise.  Once when the brand new car my family and I were riding in going on a weekend holiday showed the oil was dry I pulled over an began kicking tires and cussing a blue streak.  Found nothing wrong and continued on after a half hour of monkeying around.  A couple of miles up the road there were cars and pickups all crashed together and bodies laying on the highway in weird positions.  We were waived past and continued on but stopped to thank God for a faulty oil pressure gage. The thing decided to work again and as long as I had that station wagon it never did go off again.  

I do think that BMc's luck was a little more than just luck, he had a helping hand.  Always look for something good to come out of a little setback.  :yesss:

Old Tom     

• Like 4

The only way to go if you are going to go to the GOOD places!:miner:

• Like 1

Things happen for a reason. You may have just drove right past that area if you did not get stuck. 
Nice nuggets!
Tom H.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

The brand name of your rear tire is a bit ironic.

Nice gold !!

:)

At Ease, and Carry On! I will be in the area all afternoon! Actually, all four tires are Generals. That adds up to a 4 Star General ranking! But of course, if that were actually the case, I certainly would not be driving my own vehicle or digging my own sorry azz out of trouble!

Just as an aside: Last Fall, I experienced a perceived electrical problem which left me stranded several miles up Santo Domingo wash. Fortunately, a Bob Cat trapper came along and graciously agreed to tow, (drag) me to Jack Ass flats in his older 4 X Chevy truck. I can't say it was a nice ride, but at least it got me back (almost) to where my AAA RV membership would kick in to pick me up and take me to Randy's Automotive in Wickenburg (so I thought) Problem was, AAA wouldn't drive that last mile or so from the end of the black top on Castle Hot Springs Rd. onto the dirt road and on to Jack Ass flats. By this time I was the one feeling like a Jack Ass! 

So I swallowed my pride and drove my ATV to the local prospecting shop in Morristown where I humbly requested assistance from the kindly white bearded gentleman  proprietor whose name momentarily escapes me. After a bit of minor grumbling about a pending client appointment, he commented,"If I didn't help you now, in a couple of weeks, I might need a hand and sure as hell, no body would help me out" (or words to that effect) So the gentleman, driving an interesting looking Chevy truck with a psychedelic paint job, accompanied by his young blonde female (supervisor or spiritual adviser, not sure which), proceeded to tow my Tundra 4 X 4 (and military trailer) the one mile or so onto the black top where I could get AAA to come and pick it up.

The gentleman, (jokingly), threatened to take a photograph of  his Chevy, towing my Toyota Tundra, (that's two Chevy's in one day, if anyone's counting), and post it on the forum. I believe the Lady may have talked him out of it, for which I am grateful. 

To show my gratitude and return the favor, I turned around and purchased an ML Equinox 800 from the gentleman's shop, with which I happened to find the above displayed nugglets! 

Thanks Luke! I love you Man! :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • well done 1

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

Amen to that Skip!

Great prospecting! Maybe it will lead to a much bigger find. That's a great set up you have there to get out into the gold fields, everything you need!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, matt said:

Great prospecting! Maybe it will lead to a much bigger find. That's a great set up you have there to get out into the gold fields, everything you need!

Thanks matt. I like to go out and stay when I go, instead of commuting back and forth. It seems to work out better when I have the time to get more, "off road" More time to stumble across things. 

1 hour ago, Old Tom said:

I agree with you Skip, There are times in the past that things have happened to hamper what I was doing an turned out to be a God send in disguise.  Once when the brand new car my family and I were riding in going on a weekend holiday showed the oil was dry I pulled over an began kicking tires and cussing a blue streak.  Found nothing wrong and continued on after a half hour of monkeying around.  A couple of miles up the road there were cars and pickups all crashed together and bodies laying on the highway in weird positions.  We were waived past and continued on but stopped to thank God for a faulty oil pressure gage. The thing decided to work again and as long as I had that station wagon it never did go off again.  

I do think that BMc's luck was a little more than just luck, he had a helping hand.  Always look for something good to come out of a little setback.  :yesss:

Old Tom     

Well said Sir, and Thank You! I am definitely a believer, from my own personal experiences, just as you described. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomH said:

Things happen for a reason. You may have just drove right past that area if you did not get stuck. 
Nice nuggets!
Tom H.

Forgetting my scoop was lucky for me a couple times. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

I can relate to that! 'Course it cost me more in gas to re-trace my steps to recover my scoop, than it was worth . . . but after all, it was my lucky scoop!

Nice job on the photos, and the gold ain't too shabby either.  We are fortunate that most of our kind that roam around the hills are great people. Maybe three years ago I was ripping down Castle Hot Springs road in my hot rod turbo diesel powered Samurai when my oil pressure went to zero, I was lucky to have noticed it and shut it down.  The crankcase had no oil showing on the dip stick and the cause of the crisis was the copper line from the back of the head through the fire wall and into the gauge...  The copper had work hardened from vibration and snapped.  I was standing there and  a local cattle rancher passed by me in his truck and gave me a lift back to camp.  I think I went into Wickenberg and got some tubing to repair the problem and filled it up with oil and down the road I went.  That part of the road looked like it had been oiled by the county...  After getting home I replaced the line with a flexible steel line.  Then there was the time Patrick had to find me at night navigating by my signal fire...... Good people.  Thank you for a great post!!

Jeff

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pairadiceau said:

Nice job on the photos, and the gold ain't too shabby either.  We are fortunate that most of our kind that roam around the hills are great people. Maybe three years ago I was ripping down Castle Hot Springs road in my hot rod turbo diesel powered Samurai when my oil pressure went to zero, I was lucky to have noticed it and shut it down.  The crankcase had no oil showing on the dip stick and the cause of the crisis was the copper line from the back of the head through the fire wall and into the gauge...  The copper had work hardened from vibration and snapped.  I was standing there and  a local cattle rancher passed by me in his truck and gave me a lift back to camp.  I think I went into Wickenberg and got some tubing to repair the problem and filled it up with oil and down the road I went.  That part of the road looked like it had been oiled by the county...  After getting home I replaced the line with a flexible steel line.  Then there was the time Patrick had to find me at night navigating by my signal fire...... Good people.  Thank you for a great post!!

Jeff

Nice one Jeff! Boy, do I agree. Thank God for signal fires. And thank God for good people who watch for them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dakota Slim said:

Talking about scoops....that reminded me ....I lost one up in the LSD area. Went back detecting a few years later and found it. I knew it was mine as I always paint them with florescent orange paint so I wont loose them...yah. That works some of the time. :)  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, pairadiceau said:

Jeff

Been there done that. Had copper and plastic to the gauge. I like direct pressure but have realized all the bumpy roads/vibration/heat  is going to make it fail. Cut it all off and will be putting in electrical from here on out. Really though, how much do we look at the OP going down the road, Until some thing starts to sound funny. ? 

Tom,

I was lucky to have caught it quickly and I was kind of aware of the possibility because it had happened before and not knowing better replaced it with copper again.  Last time for that!

Great story and awesome gold sir, thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BMc said:

To show my gratitude and return the favor, I turned around and purchased an ML Equinox 800 from the gentleman's shop, with which I happened to find the above displayed nugglets! 

Thanks Luke! I love you Man! :)

I think I know who you're talking about.  :89:

If it's the same guy....  I purchased an 800 from him about 2 years back.

A few months later, I was able to trade that 800 straight across  for a 4000 and assorted coils.

If it had been me, in your situation, I would have just bought a hat.  :4chsmu1:

Take care Mac.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 4:58 PM, BMc said:

Back in Feb, when the world was still perceived to be more or less normal, a couple of friends joined me to check out a hand dug hardrock mine/prospect  that I hadn't had a chance to detect yet. No claims records or markers could be located and the mine wasn't currently being worked. The miners had crushed the ore and shoveled it onto the crude wooden ore chute that snaked down the side of the ridge to the creek below. 

The country rock of the mine adit, (from the outside looking in), appeared to be a mushy red quartz conglomerate that was unstable. No hard quartz lead was observed. After a few minutes of examination, It was decided that the large,  indignant pack rat that currently occupied the adit could continue to reside there undisturbed. No gold was found but we  drank up the "we found gold" beer anyway.

Next day, I soloed to a spot in the Bradshaw's where I'd found gold before. It had rained pretty hard a few days days before and the ground was dry on the surface, but still damp a few inches down. I got into the area OK at first, then ran into a heavily washed out cut across the road, so I turned around going back out the way I came in. As I angled down to cross a steep "V" shaped creek where I'd had no problem coming in, the mushy schist bedrock crumbled and dropped my rear bumper down enough where my military style pintle hitch buried up, causing the bumper to be high centered with no rear wheel traction. Bummer. 

I cleared part of the hang up with a sledge hammer and chisel but finally had to resort to a high lift jack and stacked rocks for clearance and traction. While I was gathering rocks in the creek, I noticed where the bank had eroded off, and exposed a couple of rusty, vuggy chunks of quartz which looked interesting. After I was able to get my truck off the high center, and up the road a ways, I went back and started detecting the strech of the creek downstream from the where I found the rotten quartz. Most of the little cuties were shallow in the stream bed and a few were on top of rocks but out of sight covered with sand and dirt. I've been laughed at before for taking my truck and trailer into bad spots, but so far, I managed to get out, and after I started finding those little dinks (small though they may be) I forgot all about being stuck!AZ GOLD-2020-NUGS.PNG 

DSCN0736.JPG

DSCN0738.JPG

DSCN0739.JPG

DSCN0740.JPG

DSCN0741.JPG

DSCN0743.JPG

DSCN0744.JPG

DSCN0745.JPG

DSCN0746.JPG

DSCN0737.JPG

DSCN0751.JPG

DSCN0752.JPG

DSCN0747.JPG

DSCN0748.JPG

DSCN0749.JPG

CAN AM-TUNDRA.JPG

A hat? A regular tow service would have cost me $266.00 just for the one mile to the black top. Plus, I was going to buy a Nox 800 anyway and it seemed like a good way to show my appreciation . . . 

• well done 2

On 4/30/2020 at 10:47 PM, TomH said:

I knew it was mine as I always paint them with florescent orange paint so I wont loose them...

Funny ... I have three or four of my scoops painted orange for when I was doing a lot of lessons. I have a blue one and a green on painted fluorescent orange still missing in LSD! LOL! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mike Furness said:

Funny ... I have three or four of my scoops painted orange for when I was doing a lot of lessons. I have a blue one and a green on painted fluorescent orange still missing in LSD! LOL! 

Do we get to keep "all that we find"? :)

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 8:49 PM, BMc said:

Do we get to keep "all that we find"? :)

Finders keepers! :rolleyes:

• Like 1