Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Need a new Forum section


Recommended Posts

So after watching some of the threads in the Prospectors lounge. I had an idea :nutty:

Bill or Skip should create a new section called POLITICS ONLY.

That way all the armchair politicians can assemble and do this....:poostorm:     or this.....:barnie:even this!....:th_panic: and this....:3ztzsjm:  or....:snapoutofit:  Whatever emoji fits your mood at the time.

Then they can come out of the new section feeling refreshed :party-smiley-027[1]: and ready to go find some GOLD!  :)

Or just resort to this............:oregonian_winesmiley:
Tom H.  

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • well done 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was tried a number of years ago. It turned into a total shitshow. I say "no." How 'bout we take it upon ourselves to keep our comments civil. Not attack someone else, but take resp

In addition to the newly suggested " Political " topic, heck,  lets add a few more other topics too.   We could start a forum on Needle Work or Witchcraft , perhaps  Childbirth & Parenting, maybe

The usual suspects? You are the only usual suspect. And that's usually being rude and disrespectful to anybody that has a differing opinion to yours. There's nobody petting anybody behind the ears for

Posted Images

I was thinking the same thing Tom. Great idea!

Link to post
Share on other sites

" AMEN" And make it mandatory for certain people!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like a good idea, but then you realize that the same moderators would be overseeing the threads.

There is a clear 'favorite' around these parts.  If you dare to challenge, then people start calling names.  They even have cute acronyms.

The 'name callers' behaviors were 'patriotic' before, but now that their guy is in charge, they are incredibly sensitive to any criticism.  Like 'snowflakes', to use a popular analogy.

I realize that everyone's perception has changed in the last few years.  Things that would never have been tolerated, are becoming the norm.

Words matter, the definition of words matter.  Being critical of someone's job performance is not the same as insulting them.  Previously, you were a 'Patriot' if you questioned 'the administration'.  Now, quite the opposite.

As a moderate American, I believe the majority stands in the middle.  Not fully accepting or denying the ideologies of either 'side'.  Sadly though, it's the extremists on both sides who scream the loudest and continue to drive the division of the once United States.

I can say personally, that as threads are 'closed from further comment', or deleted altogether, my desire to continue participating or contributing, is greatly diminished.  After all, I've done what I came here to do.  I made some good friends and I learned how to find gold with a metal detector.  I accepted 'free knowledge' and have attempted to return the favor.

If a bunch of grumpy geezers want to whine and spread false information for the rest of their lives, why should I care?

I care because their behaviors affect others around them.  Especially now in this current time of world pandemic.

Good Luck y'all.  Hope it turns out in your favor.

Luke

  • Like 4
  • well done 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Free speech and facts are not permitted on this forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morlock said:

Free speech and facts are not permitted on this forum.

Especially Facts.   Trouble in the making.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, TomH said:

Bill or Skip should create a new section called POLITICS ONLY.

I'm all for that, or just let these people that will never learn have the Lounge and create a new section for what the Lounge was intended for.  Birthdays, Death notices, Stories about instances, General talk, etc.  The politicos should have a place of their own to pontificate their beliefs to other politicos who will never change their beliefs.  I swore that I wouldn't visit the Lounge again but there was a lot I was missing.  This fighting to try to change each other minds about political views is sickening.  It is boring a lot of guys who are sick of it and don't visit the Lounge anymore and miss some important events that are going on.  Let's get back to normal and leave the 'Haters' to their own demise.  

    Old Tom       

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that's why the "No Politics" rule was created to begin with. So people wouldn't be fighting and backbiting like you see now. It is disruptive, boring to many, especially to the Non- Zealots, and not considerate of forum members in general. If no one talks about it, no one should care or be offended because it just doesn't come up. And shouldn't.  I have hunted gold many times with people that strongly dislike one political party or another, or one politician or another. Who cares? We don't fight about it out there. Why should we fight about it here?The forum should be about the things we have in common, as a community, IMHO. We shouldn't be attacking each other. Period. We shouldn't be criticizing, attacking, or even discussing/evaluating or praising any Presidents, past present, or future. Period. Why?? It should be quite apparent by now. The forum is is not the place to discuss politics to "come together, settle our differences etc etc) or for any other reason!! 

 Personally, I don't give a rotund rodent's rectum what anyone's political beliefs are. This is America, and everyone has the right and the freedom to believe and to vote the way we choose. If we don't like what the "guy" in charge is doing or how he's handling things, that what the polls are for.

But it seems that there are some who believe strongly that they have the right to disregard the rules and feel that their rights are being trampled on if any free speech is restricted. That's unfortunate, but the alternative is more animosity, divisiveness, and disagreement, which continues to simmer, boil over, and flare up. So what are the moderators supposed to do? It's basically  a no win situation for them, but it seems to me they do a pretty good job, all things considered. And if that means closing down a thread because someone repeatedly ignores the rules, that would seem to be a reasonable option.

Edited by BMc
typo
  • Like 4
  • well done 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When a MODERATOr starts posting political crap! Its time for them not to be a Moderator!  you are not going to win with someone that thinks they are RIGHT all the time! Grubstake

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill makes the final rules for the forum, so this is not going to happen unless he pops in and say OK, I making an educated guess he will not do that!

That being said at one time we allowed political posts/topics/comments on the forum, specifically in the now defunct "Off Topic" forum section, it was a section for posting anything not otherwise related to what the rest of the forum was for so anything "Off Topic", the rules for that section were rather simple, basically no attacking each other and don't participate if you wear your heart on your sleeve and get your feelings hurt easily, it got so out of hand with all the fighting, insulting other members first born, Mothers, Fathers, each other's religion you name it nothing it seems was safe from ridicule, so that's when that forum section was deleted and the rules of no political, religious, and no insulting posts towards other members was created, also even Moderators were being verbally attacked when trying to moderate that forum section's content, so Bill created another rule which he and I considers to be the number 1 rule that disrespecting any forum staff would not be tolerated and could be grounds for being suspended and or banned, all of these rules are still in affect, even though I tend to overlook slight violations but I will warn the member via usually a PM especially if they continue to violate the forum rules.

I'm sure some of you have noticed that the Corona Virus topic in the Prospector's Lounge is now Locked, it was locked by one of our Moderators today while I was at work because of everyone continuing posting political content, if he hadn't locked it I would have once I got home and read all the posts continuing to violating the forum rules on posting political content.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, grubstake said:

When a MODERATOr starts posting political crap! Its time for them not to be a Moderator!  you are not going to win with someone that thinks they are RIGHT all the time! Grubstake

Gary,

I agree, but that Moderator had requested to the removed from that title a while back and I just never got around to changing his title, still no reason for him to also violate forum rules, but there's no time like the present to give him his request!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, grubstake said:

When a MODERATOr starts posting political crap! Its time for them not to be a Moderator!  you are not going to win with someone that thinks they are RIGHT all the time! Grubstake

I agree wholeheartedly with that, but could you name a moderator that has done such and provide any evidence.  I think that the moderators here have done a pretty good job of policing the forum.  Maybe they have been a little too lenient for my idea of a good show but if it ran my way I'd have to step on a couple of really big feet.  

    Old Tom

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Old Tom said:

 

I'm all for that, or just let these people that will never learn have the Lounge and create a new section for what the Lounge was intended for.  Birthdays, Death notices, Stories about instances, General talk, etc.  The politicos should have a place of their own to pontificate their beliefs to other politicos who will never change their beliefs.  I swore that I wouldn't visit the Lounge again but there was a lot I was missing.  This fighting to try to change each other minds about political views is sickening.  It is boring a lot of guys who are sick of it and don't visit the Lounge anymore and miss some important events that are going on.  Let's get back to normal and leave the 'Haters' to their own demise.  

    Old Tom       

For the most part, Old Tom, I agree with you.

The main concern of today (General talk) is Coronavirus and it's effects on people and the country as a whole.  Not sure how that can be discussed intelligently without some amount of 'politics'.  It's increasingly tough to talk about much of anything that doesn't circle back around to politics.  Sure we can talk about gold, but not many people are getting out because there is another thing happening right now.  People are stuck at home, bored, scared, angry, tired, disappointed.....

I doubt anyone is trying to convert an R to a D, or would expect that to be a result of a forum argument.

I hate to say it but, we are not going back to 'normal'.  By the time things seem 'normal', we will have adjusted and changed to perceive it that way.  Just like after every major national tragedy.

Take care Old Tom.  Hopefully we'll be seeing each other again when the time is right.

 

3 hours ago, BMc said:

I believe that's why the "No Politics" rule was created to begin with. So people wouldn't be fighting and backbiting like you see now. It is disruptive, boring to many, especially to the Non- Zealots, and not considerate of forum members in general. If no one talks about it, no one should care or be offended because it just doesn't come up. And shouldn't.  I have hunted gold many times with people that strongly dislike one political party or another, or one politician or another. Who cares? We don't fight about it out there. Why should we fight about it here?The forum should be about the things we have in common, as a community, IMHO. We shouldn't be attacking each other. Period. We shouldn't be criticizing, attacking, or even discussing/evaluating or praising any Presidents, past present, or future. Period. Why?? It should be quite apparent by now. The forum is is not the place to discuss politics to "come together, settle our differences etc etc) or for any other reason!! 

 Personally, I don't give a rotund rodent's rectum what anyone's political beliefs are. This is America, and everyone has the right and the freedom to believe and to vote the way we choose. If we don't like what the "guy" in charge is doing or how he's handling things, that what the polls are for.

But it seems that there are some who believe strongly that they have the right to disregard the rules and feel that their rights are being trampled on if any free speech is restricted. That's unfortunate, but the alternative is more animosity, divisiveness, and disagreement, which continues to simmer, boil over, and flare up. So what are the moderators supposed to do? It's basically  a no win situation for them, but it seems to me they do a pretty good job, all things considered. And if that means closing down a thread because someone repeatedly ignores the rules, that would seem to be a reasonable option.

 

Yes, I've been told that disagreements of the past led to members leaving the forum and actually hating each other.  Seems childish to me.

The problem I've seen is that certain things can be posted and said casually and are allowed to 'slide' unless someone else speaks up about it.  Generally there is one controversial figure on this forum who plays that role.  He's continually outnumbered and many people disregard the message because they don't like the messenger.  While I do generally agree with much of what he has to say, I don't agree many times with the way he says it.  People do get offended and then react to it.  Often it's the snowball that creates the avalanche.

My main interest of late was to 'try' to dispel any misinformation relating to Coronavirus as I understood it.  Many of my posts have been carefully written to contain verifiable facts.  Several sentences were deleted along the way so as not to seem insulting to anyone in particular.  My goal was to hopefully allow the 'recipient' the opportunity to check and verify for themselves and make up their own minds.  Many more people than just 'the regulars' read these posts and facts are important.

Just last week, some of my posts were deleted by a moderator because I wrote something that was verifiably true, but hurt someone's feelings.  The situation quickly devolved and I was called some names then the thread was edited/deleted.  I don't feel offended that I was called those names, mostly discouraged that my stuff was deleted because somebody couldn't control their feelings.  Do you remember that?  Pretty sure you were there when it happened.

Don't mistake my earlier post as some sort of protest of the moderators.  They have a thankless job and I wouldn't want to do it.  My main gripe is that we can't talk about anything of substance without someone being offended and yelling for Skip to do something about it.

Anyways, I'm tired.  Even if 'we' disagree, I'm still trying to look out for all members as humans first, during this particular time.  I wouldn't turn down a beer around the campfire with any of you guys.

Take care.

Luke

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, Luke. But why does anyone here have to be, " a bunch of grumpy geezers who want to whine and spread false information for the rest of their lives, why should I care? "Seems childish to me" 

Really?? Is the gender gap that wide? I would hope not, at least not here on the forum where the common denominator is, and should be, our shared interests. That's the weld that holds it all together.

So, sorry, that's where I take exception. I can't speak for all the " grumpy geezers" on the forum (if there are any) Personally, I don't consider myself to be either one. Grumpy or a Geezer. And I haven't noticed that any of the other, "sage elder statesmen", resemble that description. Traditionalists? Perhaps. But why be ageist about it? Everyone ages. If they are lucky.

And Luke, with respect, what you may be being overlooking in that seemingly quick dismissal, is the fact that we are talking about someone's livelihood. The forum is a source of income for the owner, among others. Everyone that chooses not to stay as a member or viewer is a potential loss of income for someone who has worked hard to make the forum a success. It is a Life's Work! And for the most part, it's free for the taking! But people just don't like the fighting and bickering. They can get that at home!

"Many of my posts have been carefully written to contain verifiable facts.  Several sentences were deleted along the way so as not to seem insulting to anyone in particular." "Words matter, the definition of words matter.  Being critical of someone's job performance is not the same as insulting them." 

I beg to differ. In a forum, like this, especially where there is a known sensitivity regarding this subject, it is lighting a fuse that tends to burn very fast.

Communication is difficult, as we have seen. Differences of opinion and perception come into play and cause us to sometimes start to dislike others who don't believe the way we do. So to try change their opinion, or correct the facts is a delicate matter, because people don't like to be told what to think or believe. 

 We are plummeted by agenda driven news reports from all sides, So called facts, and so-called experts abound. All wanting people to believe their facts for their own self-serving reasons. Filtering, spin, slanted journalism, and many, many, lies on top of lies. Why? It used to be said of "yellow journalism" that it "sells copy" (make money), but it's even more insidious than that now. It's still about money of course, but IMO, Generations have failed to learn how to think for themselves. Now days it seems, many people not only get their news from TV, social media and the like, they get their values, belief systems, and opinions handed to them as well. 

 "Generally there is one controversial figure on this forum who plays that role.  He's continually outnumbered and many people disregard the message because they don't like the messenger.  While I do generally agree with much of what he has to say, I don't agree many times with the way he says it"   "People do get offended and then react to it" Yeah, you might say that. I agree. Especially now, when lives are on the line and people are wound pretty tight. 

"Just last week, some of my posts were deleted by a moderator because I wrote something that was verifiable true, but hurt someone's feelings.  The situation quickly devolved and I was called some names then the thread was edited/deleted.  I don't feel offended that I was called those names, mostly discouraged that my stuff was deleted because somebody couldn't control their feelings.  Do you remember that?  Pretty sure you were there when it happened"

No Luke, Sorry, I didn't catch that. Enlighten me by PM if you want to. I was wondering why you were upset. I hate to see you like that because you are a valued member of the forum community and I always look forward to reading (most of) your posts. :) Take Care,

Mac

Edited by BMc
typo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No, Mac.  There is no gender gap.  We are all men here, or so I thought.

There is an age gap.  I know of several 'older' men who all have the same opinions about certain subjects.  Many of whom seem to have nothing better to do than point their finger.

Are all the men older than me here 'grumpy geezers'?  No.  Many of the gentlemen I've encountered at the outings who undoubtedly share different opinions are quite civil.  It's interesting that you thought I was talking about you.  :inocent:

Yes, I also realize that this is one of Bill's sources of income.  I contribute to that end.  If that's a problem, I can fix it.

No need for PM.  You were there.  You provided the definition of the acronym that was used to characterize me.

Anything else?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Luke, the point is, why call anyone names on the forum?  And why continue to be antagonistic? "Many of whom seem to have nothing better to do than point their finger"

And in the second half of your response to Old Tom, you copied and posted my original post before I responded to your grumpy geezer comment.????

And in your first response you asked: Do you remember that?  Pretty sure you were there when it happened" (see below for context)

"Just last week, some of my posts were deleted by a moderator because I wrote something that was verifiable true, but hurt someone's feelings.  The situation quickly devolved and I was called some names then the thread was edited/deleted.  I don't feel offended that I was called those names, mostly discouraged that my stuff was deleted because somebody couldn't control their feelings.  Do you remember that?  Pretty sure you were there when it happened"

And then to follow up with, "It's interesting that you thought I was talking about you" 

Luke, If you attached my post with your response, who else would you be talking about?? 

And concerning the "You were there.  You provided the definition of the acronym that was used to characterize me" comment" 

I have reviewed the posts from the past few days and don't see what you are referring to. If you want to give me the date and forum topic I would be happy to go back  review it, and discuss it and/or apologize if there is anything of an offensive nature. 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang it.....I should have never posted  this.....Lot of people have TOO  much time on their hands right now! Lets all go out and do some house painting and yard work :) Or, ask a neighbor if you can do something for them? My neighbor actually bought us some TP yesterday.....God bless them :) Lets all take care of each other instead of THIS!!!!
Tom H.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BMc said:

Luke, the point is, why call anyone names on the forum?  And why continue to be antagonistic? "Many of whom seem to have nothing better to do than point their finger"

And in the second half of your response to Old Tom, you copied and posted my original post before I responded to your grumpy geezer comment.????

And in your first response you asked: Do you remember that?  Pretty sure you were there when it happened" (see below for context)

"Just last week, some of my posts were deleted by a moderator because I wrote something that was verifiable true, but hurt someone's feelings.  The situation quickly devolved and I was called some names then the thread was edited/deleted.  I don't feel offended that I was called those names, mostly discouraged that my stuff was deleted because somebody couldn't control their feelings.  Do you remember that?  Pretty sure you were there when it happened"

And then to follow up with, "It's interesting that you thought I was talking about you" 

Luke, If you attached my post with your response, who else would you be talking about?? 

And concerning the "You were there.  You provided the definition of the acronym that was used to characterize me" comment" 

I have reviewed the posts from the past few days and don't see what you are referring to. If you want to give me the date and forum topic I would be happy to go back  review it, and discuss it and/or apologize if there is anything of an offensive nature. 

  

I haven't called anyone in particular any names.  I could, but it won't help anything.

Sorry I don't type as fast as your opinion.

The confusion happens when you take my words from two different posts out of context to try to build your point.

The posts and comments were deleted by the moderator within minutes after I was called a 'lefty' and accused of having 'TDS'.

I asked what 'TDS' was, and you provided the definition.  The whole days' posts were gone within minutes from then.  It's the missing part of the 'Corona Common Sense' thread between Slim's 'Asian Boss' video and my 'logical interpretation' comment.

The moderator knows what he read and deleted.  I spoke to him about it afterwards.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK Luke, I remember it now. I didn't know it had been deleted. I guess that's why I couldn't find any reference to an acronym. You asked what TDS meant so I pulled up the Wikipedia definition and posted it. I wasn't looking at it like it was characterizing you. I didn't mean it as an insult or personal attack. I thought I was assisting you with the meaning, that's all. If you were offended by it, I apologize. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BMc said:

OK Luke, I remember it now. I didn't know it had been deleted. I guess that's why I couldn't find any reference to an acronym. You asked what TDS meant so I pulled up the Wikipedia definition and posted it. I wasn't looking at it like it was characterizing you. I didn't mean it as an insult or personal attack. I thought I was assisting you with the meaning, that's all. If you were offended by it, I apologize. 

You helped to define another member's insult towards me.  You certainly didn't admonish the 'offender'.

How did you not know what you were doing?  Didn't you say you were a detective or something like that?   :idunno:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LukeJ said:

You helped to define another member's insult towards me.  You certainly didn't admonish the 'offender'.

How did you not know what you were doing?  Didn't you say you were a detective or something like that?   :idunno:

I didn't define it Luke, you verbally requested it. Which is a good reason that off topic in-fighting is not a good idea. It can backfire. And I didn't admonish anyone. 

I'm trying to make peace Luke, so hopefully we can go back to observing proper decorum. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TomH said:

Bill or Skip should create a new section called POLITICS ONLY.

This was tried a number of years ago. It turned into a total shitshow.

I say "no."

How 'bout we take it upon ourselves to keep our comments civil.

Not attack someone else, but take responsibility for ourselves like big boys and girls.

That is supposedly what adults do although it is sometimes difficult to realize when you see what goes on here.

Does anyone remember the Finders Forum? Let's decide not go in that direction.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone really believe if a separate forum room was created, that people still wouldn't post the same stuff in the same rooms?

As entertaining as this new room would be, because its political only, I would say no.  Most of my entertainment for the day is getting on and reading these discussions.  I do miss some of the meteorite postings from the self taught meteorologists.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this view.

 

Edited by chrisski
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the problem with politics in general, and I'm sure that is why political posts are banned here. One here and one there and then all hell breaks loose. The virus is a crisis and the solution heavily involves politics. Political propaganda is being slung by every party and persuasion -- both foreign and domestic. It's a price we pay for freedom of speech. Those who skirt the rules here to get a partisan shot should be called out. Just watching the news media is sickening for the same reason. 

Edited by Au Seeker
to remove a quoted deleted post
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

This is the problem with politics in general, and I'm sure that is why political posts are banned here. One here and one there and then all hell breaks loose. The virus is a crisis and the solution heavily involves politics. Political propaganda is being slung by every party and persuasion -- both foreign and domestic. It's a price we pay for freedom of speech. Those who skirt the rules here to get a partisan shot should be called out. Just watching the news media is sickening for the same reason. 

If forum members would start calling out posters, or at least jumping in at the beginning, at the first sign of a politically slanted comment, the united combined peer pressure of the forum group as a whole could have a moderating effect before things seriously got out of hand. This of course, would require some degree of directness and possible confrontation, such as that exhibited by the moderators (who can't always intervene in a timely manner) The problem seems to be that some member(s) (apparently), either enjoy and want this raucous disharmony to continue, or they are angrily impulsive and lacking in self control.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • well done 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...