Nugget Shooter Forums

Welcome Wolfyone ! Old Yuma resident here , got my handle Gilaoro from a claim I had there at one time , some good gold has came out of the area south of the Wellton-Mohawk Canal.  Left there in 2008 so I don't know the status of the area now but there used to be a local prospecting club and the meetings were announced  in the local paper and there was a couple of MDing shops in town. The Morgans Wash to the North in the Muggins Mts had some great gold but it's a wilderness area now.Also was some good areas and some claims to the west of 95 south of the Yuma Proving ground , also off of Adair Park RD and off of AVE A east of the canal in the Laguna MTs The local club club had some claims there and I had one also for a while. A topo map will show you how to get in to those areas. You have to be very careful to stay off the Yuma Proving ground In many years past people would detect off of 95 and it's easy to get on the Army's property, now days they have sophisticated surveillance methods and they will have you caught even before you get your detector turned on , probably lose your machine too! Don't even think about the Reservations or the Goldwater range for obvious reasons. People will tell you that you can detect there but I will tell you that the Ranger that patrolled the area was my neighbor and he amazed me with the numbers of people he caught every weekend driving right past the signs just because the road ran there  and there is a warning sign every  100" or so warning of unexploded ordnance ! No pass no collect bullets ! loose equipment, go the Yuma Marine Base brig , federal charges, worse on Indian Reservations . Let us know how you do there!:old:

Don't know about meteorites

• Like 1

Thanks Gilaoro! I’m excited to get out and find anything I can. Fortunately I like rocks, period, so getting out and rock hunting never ends badly, unless, as you warn, you hunt in  the wrong places. I’ve seen all those warning signs, just driving by, and l have no desire to mess with either the law or the military, so l plan to steer clear! Thanks for the suggestions. My husband and l will definitely check into them.

Look on the forums here for CLAY he has info on Gold and claims and were you can an cannot prospect and how to get your own claims. Claims are staked and dropped for various reasons all the time and he is the prospecting worlds guide to all the minutiae you will ever need to know. Even the BIG guys use him.

Max

Shameless Plug 

A month ago, went a few exits west of Yuma and preospected by some hard rock mines.  Using a recirculating system found some color out there.  The Hardrock mines were all claimed up, but still plenty of open area.

Gilaoro is pretty good at staking claims.  He helped me with my first one.  Clay’s mylandmatters.org is good sight to get see how many claims exist in a mile by mile area.  Lots of other info.

6 hours ago, Wolfyone said:

Thanks Gilaoro! I’m excited to get out and find anything I can. Fortunately I like rocks, period, so getting out and rock hunting never ends badly, unless, as you warn, you hunt in  the wrong places. I’ve seen all those warning signs, just driving by, and l have no desire to mess with either the law or the military, so l plan to steer clear! Thanks for the suggestions. My husband and l will definitely check into them.

1 hour ago, Gilaoro said:

Look on the forums here for CLAY he has info on Gold and claims and were you can an cannot prospect and how to get your own claims. Claims are staked and dropped for various reasons all the time and he is the prospecting worlds guide to all the minutiae you will ever need to know. Even the BIG guys use him.

Max

Shameless Plug 

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

A month ago, went a few exits west of Yuma and preospected by some hard rock mines.  Using a recirculating system found some color out there.  The Hardrock mines were all claimed up, but still plenty of open area.

Gilaoro is pretty good at staking claims.  He helped me with my first one.  Clay’s mylandmatters.org is good sight to get see how many claims exist in a mile by mile area.  Lots of other info.

Welcome to the forum Wolfyone!

Here's a link to Clay's website...mylandsmmatters.org, very valuable website for public land users, once you learn how to use this site it has just about everything you need to find areas to go to and not be trespassing, encroaching on a valid claim, etc., etc.

http://mylandmatters.org/

• Like 1
17 hours ago, chrisski said:

Chrisski , A very few miles East of yuma in what is now a wilderness area is one of the very few places that I actually found gold on top of the ground without a MD or anything. Life and work interfered but later I drove to a wash that entered the area and " Found a cable across the wash and signs for the new wilderness area". Strike while the iron is hot I was always told but  I missed this one!

Max