Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
ivigo

Help with this rock-Nepfrite?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello, yeasterday i found this rock , it is a broken piece from biger stone . I didn't found the other piece. I found it when i walking with my dog in a open field close to my home.

From first look , looks like a Nepfrite but i am not sure .

I have polished some parts around and in broken part. In the last photo you can see the polishing half and the other half

1) They content a lot of iron and attract a magnet.

2) its a very heavy.

3) The streak color is white.

4) The hardnes is 7 maybe more 

5) The dimension is 7cm long, 6cm wide, 4,5 cm thick

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Edited by ivigo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ivigo said:

Hello, yeasterday i found this rock , it is a broken piece from biger stone . I didn't found the other piece. I found it when i walking with my dog in a open field close to my home.

From first look , looks like a Nepfrite but i am not sure .

I have polished some parts around and in broken part. In the last photo you can see the polishing half and the other half

1) They content a lot of iron and attract a magnet.

2) its a very heavy.

3) The streak color is white.

4) The hardnes is 7 maybe more 

5) The dimension is 7cm long, 6cm wide, 4,5 cm thick

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Nephrite has a mohs scale hardness of 6 to 6.5 so just based on that....it's not. While it does come on a variety of colors, the most common are shades of green. It doesn't look like any nephrite I've seen before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not with any certainty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Morlock said:

Not with any certainty.

I think maybe is meteorite....i have  a crazy theory about it....and maybe and someone else have the same ....

Edited by ivigo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can say with certainty it's not a meteorite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Morlock said:

I can say with certainty it's not a meteorite.

Hahahaha.....I was sure you would say that.

So, what your opinion  about the black lines and the melted green material inside them?

If you see the photo this rock crashed to graund, some pieces missing  in impact part and if you see the lines in this front part the lines is paraller  they absorbed the  most part of the conflict and also the front part have an angle so for this reason and the  paraller lines is little diferent in one and the other sides. Look very carefuly the lines in all rock and then you can see what i say. In the last photo . Look carefully this one in the middle, this lines begin from the front open smash part and continue in all the rock.

Also before i polish the rock in the half side as you can see for the reason to see better the lines , as you can see the other half and the front side have a crust....maybe a fusion crust. And in the photo you can see melted material to drop out of the rock.

I don't know what is but all the other things  I wrote it's there and you can see it and you know I'm right.

Inked4_LI.jpg

Edited by ivigo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many answers that I don't know where to start reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ivigo said:

There are so many answers that I don't know where to start reading.

My suggestion is to start at the top left corner. :)

Iron is what makes the magnet stick. Silica is what makes the streak white. The stone appears to be granular. 

The area you call "melted" is obviously chemical replacement of minerals along that fracture. Probably iron because the rock is magnetic. But the black could be some other soluble metal like manganese too. 

The banding is common to several minerals, but iron replacements often form bizarre patterns and shapes. 

It is comprised of iron and silica. It looks granular. It has whirled concentric patterns. It could be classified as many things. 

There are lots of rocks out there that exhibit the same characteristics as yours. A sandstone concretion with iron replacement is what I would call it. Maybe a metamorphic from sandstone if it is as hard as you estimated.

There is nothing there that looks meteoritic to me. Definitely no fusion crust. No free metallic iron. No chondrules. Nothing at all. Just a banded piece of rock. :idunno:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

My suggestion is to start at the top left corner. :)

Iron is what makes the magnet stick. Silica is what makes the streak white. The stone appears to be granular. 

The area you call "melted" is obviously chemical replacement of minerals along that fracture. Probably iron because the rock is magnetic. But the black could be some other soluble metal like manganese too. 

The banding is common to several minerals, but iron replacements often form bizarre patterns and shapes. 

It is comprised of iron and silica. It looks granular. It has whirled concentric patterns. It could be classified as many things. 

There are lots of rocks out there that exhibit the same characteristics as yours. A sandstone concretion with iron replacement is what I would call it. Maybe a metamorphic from sandstone if it is as hard as you estimated.

There is nothing there that looks meteoritic to me. Definitely no fusion crust. No free metallic iron. No chondrules. Nothing at all. Just a banded piece of rock. :idunno:

Thank you for your answer , but you are wrong.

All my photos is in very very big analysis and detailed a lot. They need only to download first in your PC  to see it. 

The lines , is not a lines is cracks . 100%. 

I just can't understand why I have to convince you every time about the obvious.

Please take a closer look at the photos.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else and impose my opinion that he is a meteorite. I'm trying to figure out what can differentiate it from a common rock. In any case, if there are no exams in a laboratory, you will still not have data evidence.

Edited by ivigo
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2020 at 7:08 AM, ivigo said:

Any quess what maybe is?

 

My guess is Neophyte . . . 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • well done 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ivigo said:

Thank you for your answer , but you are wrong.

All my photos is in very very big analysis and detailed a lot. They need only to download first in your PC  to see it. 

The lines , is not a lines is cracks . 100%. 

I just can't understand why I have to convince you every time about the obvious.

Please take a closer look at the photos.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else and impose my opinion that he is a meteorite. I'm trying to figure out what can differentiate it from a common rock. In any case, if there are no exams in a laboratory, you will still not have data evidence.

He is not wrong, he is Bedrock. You seem to have a common rock. Do you have any real meteorites to touch, feel, or scratch and sniff ? Or a book with pictures? even better on this internet thing you can find many photos. If you get some time to look up meteorites you will see your rock is not like a meteorite. Keep looking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the chemical leaching occurs along cracks. The iron leaches out along hairline cracks and changes the color around the crack. The crack forms a tiny gap that causes electrolysis. A higher Ph in the rock and a low Ph of moisture create an small electrical current across the crack that draws soluble metals out of the rock and deposits them along the fracture. 

It happens all the time. A very common thing.

You don't have to convince me of anything. Your rock is common stuff. Your big job is going to be convincing yourself of that.

You did the basic field tests but seem to have difficulty interpreting them. The stone is obviously an iron rich terrestrial stone high in silica (quartz). Anyone with a basic understanding of mineral identification can clearly see that.

Why don't you take a few steps back and learn the basics? You would waste a lot less time on common rocks. That would make identification of the rare and valuable ones a lot easier.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, hardtimehermit said:

He is not wrong, he is Bedrock. You seem to have a common rock. Do you have any real meteorites to touch, feel, or scratch and sniff ? Or a book with pictures? even better on this internet thing you can find many photos. If you get some time to look up meteorites you will see your rock is not like a meteorite. Keep looking.

Maybe is not a meteorite but the rock is not common at all. 

Unplug and view the photos on your computer in full size. Unless you don't want someone else to find strange and different things.

I, am not and expert with the really meaning of expert, but i begin to found minerals , rocks, gems , fossils, etc , before more than 30 years because i love it. 

I will sell a lot of things in collectors and to the shop with this things for collectors, etc.

So, i am not stupid if anyone believe. I know if i have found something interesting or a common rock.  If any one like i will take photos from my garden with many beutiful and unsusual stone out there.

The good with me is, i don't believe i am expert in anything and this is very nice because i have always an open mind.  Also for this reason i am an artist and inventor. I have 3 worldwide patents and many copyrights ....

 

Edited by ivigo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nephrite is cryptocrystalline or microcrystalline. Meaning the crystals are very small like an agate Or barely visible like quartzite. Your stone is granular. So that alone rules out Nephrite.

You can see the fracture and cleavage is blocky. Look at the shape of the rock and the cubic chunk missing in the corner. It is not conchoidal like a cryptocrystalline mineral. 

Use a magnifying lens to look at the crystal structure of those coarse granules. I'll bet a weeks pay they are quartz.

What you have is slingshot ammunition. Your magnet and streak test prove that. Your photos further reinforce that. And your reluctance to accept the detailed explanations we are offering show that you have an emotional agenda that affects your observations.

I suggest 15 mg. Of diazepam 3x daily. A regular exercise regimen with a diet high in fiber and fruits. Meditation, yoga or biofeedback exercises will help. And get a copy of the Audubon Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals. About three weeks of this and you will be able to toss rocks like this without suspicions they are rare and valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Nephrite is cryptocrystalline or microcrystalline. Meaning the crystals are very small like an agate Or barely visible like quartzite. Your stone is granular. So that alone rules out Nephrite.

You can see the fracture and cleavage is blocky. Look at the shape of the rock and the cubic chunk missing in the corner. It is not conchoidal like a cryptocrystalline mineral. 

Use a magnifying lens to look at the crystal structure of those coarse granules. I'll bet a weeks pay they are quartz.

What you have is slingshot ammunition. Your magnet and streak test prove that. Your photos further reinforce that. And your reluctance to accept the detailed explanations we are offering show that you have an emotional agenda that affects your observations.

I suggest 15 mg. Of diazepam 3x daily. A regular exercise regimen with a diet high in fiber and fruits. Meditation, yoga or biofeedback exercises will help. And get a copy of the Audubon Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals. About three weeks of this and you will be able to toss rocks like this without suspicions they are rare and valuable.

I believe you need a better glass and to looks better the photos. Not only the top but and the bottom.

 

3.JPG

1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know very well about agate  onyx , amber (this one is the only piece they found it in Greece) and many other things .Some of them in my garden.

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

1.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Then congratulations! You have found nephrite!

:idunno:

This one is malachite and i found it with  azurite and i have a rock with both of them somewhere.

But if you mean the rock in the post , i don't know what i have found and also and you.

We don't need to argue. The posts with the two rocks that I put here and in the meteorites probably I would never put them because at first glance they look like common rocks. In the photos, however, and in great magnification, they have details that are extremely interesting, at least for me probably because that intrigues me.

After all, it is not worth it to be upset about something that we will not solve anyway. 

Edited by ivigo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is definately not jade as jade is not magnetic.   It has no appearances of jade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make some better test.

Density 6 to 6,5

Streak color is  light green even at the blackest point of the rock.

Full of iron but no magnetite at all , no black streak or any other dark streak.

The color of the crystal material inside is:  light green, olive green, dark green, green to black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 4:26 PM, BMc said:

My guess is Neophyte . . . 

Hahaha....maybe is nepheline with iron ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaaha.....i found this photo for my other post but looks how similar ls this meteor in his open side with my rock. They have same color, same cracks and same melting material in the crack....and same hardness...

This meteor have :

Magnetic suscept.: 2.66

Any info about the mining of above?

 

f2247ce4879887c0b3e0757d5a8f328c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And here on more view of the stone, where you can see somewhere in past the rock have black and brown crust.

To me it looks like a serpentine type rock rich in iron, that certainly had a very strong impact.
One possibility is that it is from Mars, one that has been found with a similar material meteorite .

 

6.JPG

Edited by ivigo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...