Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello again,

I found this rock before 20 years ago with metal detector almost in mountain.Not very high.

Looks like a magnetite but is not. We make to them 3 times examination in geological institute.

No nickel , but they content 96% iron. No any rust...

1) Before the many times cutting they have aerodynamic shape like drop.

2) it's very heavy but i don' t have the first weight and now is almost the half.

3) They attract very strong any magnet.

4) They have a fusion crust.

5) Is not magnetic.

Possible is not a meteorite because no nickel. BUT what is??

Experts do not know what it is, so they do not say anything. Normally there should be no such thing but there  exist.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

2 hours ago, ivigo said:

Sorry , yes i make it again for sure and is black.

My guess would be magnetite but not 100% sure.

What makes you so sure it's not magnetite?

9 minutes ago, Morlock said:

My guess would be magnetite but not 100% sure.

What makes you so sure it's not magnetite?

Because and after the use of magnet on the rock for a lot of time the rock after they didn't have any magnetic attraction in other small iron material .You can see the last photo.   

4 minutes ago, ivigo said:

Because and after the use of magnet on the rock for a lot of time the rock after they didn't have any magnetic attraction in other small iron material .You can see the last photo.   

While magnetite can be magnetized, it isn’t always so. Pretty sure you’ve got magnetite there.

Posted (edited)

I need to ask something here . Before 2 hours i take my dog for a walk. I leave in the edge of my City. So, i found one big rock with a fusion crust in 2 pieces. The rock have a lot of iron and other metal and is a very rusty. I cut the small piece and i show luster metal. But after a very sort time the metal loose his luster and turned to dark gray or black. This happen in all the rock . The metal have dark brawn, grey , or black color and rust. The Rock is very, very old...

Edited by ivigo
3 hours ago, ivigo said:

I need to ask something here . Before 2 hours i take my dog for a walk. I leave in the edge of my City. So, i found one big rock with a fusion crust in 2 pieces. The rock have a lot of iron and other metal and is a very rusty. I cut the small piece and i show luster metal. But after a very sort time the metal loose his luster and turned to dark gray or black. This happen in all the rock . The metal have dark brawn, grey , or black color and rust. The Rock is very, very old...

You have mineral iron. Not metallic iron.

Mineral iron is often sub-metallic. It almost looks like metal when it is freshly cut but turns a dull grey like graphite or carbon after a while exposed to the elements.

Rocks that contain mineral iron are most definitely terrestrial. Your observation proves your rock is not a meteorite.

The type of iron in a meteorite is bright metallic iron exactly like a piece of steel. It will not change luster. It will rust if you use an oxidizer on it but never turns grey or sub-metallic.

You are confusing sub metallic with metallic luster. This is a very common thing with guys who are learning mineral identification. Once you learn the subtle differences you will have gained the most valuable identification skill. 

When you grind a window you can tell right away by the color of the powder you grind off. Free metallic iron streaks metallic and minerals streak with red or black hues. You can see right away if your rock is sub metallic by observing the color of the streak. 

Black streak from grey to black is magnetite. Red from pink to dark red is hematite. What you have is a hunk of magnetite. Hematite streaks red and is only rarely magnetic. Magnetite is often magnetic and streaks black.

Magnetite will generally be magnetic. But only rarely does it show magnetism. So what you have is garden variety magnetite. Any "expert" that is baffled over this rock is not as smart as they think they are. 

Magnetite will make a detector scream but it sounds nothing like free metallic iron. There are lots of different detectors and they may respond differently. But magnetite will not give a signal like metal nor meteorites. With some detectors it can be subtle. With others obvious. But mineral iron always sounds different than metal. 

Mineral iron is also porous. A quick look in a lens will help you compare the texture of mineral iron with the dense metallic surface of free iron.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

Hello, 

Thanks for the information is very helpful.

From the beginning of the post I have written that it looks like a magnetite, etc. 

I'm not saying it's meteorite, but no one paid attention to the percentage of iron that the rock has and it's from 94% to 96% in 3 different examination.  Magnetites do not exceed 76%.

This rock is almost pure iron and no any rust. This is a very strange thing. So, maybe is not a magnetite , something else? any idea anyone? why no rust at all?

And please give attention to my first post, no any experts have idea what is ......no anyone say....is magnetite ...

I found this , is something but no explain why the rock is not oxidize  in atmosphere.

https://www.merusonline.com/magnetite/

And this about Martian meteorite...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC124441/

Edited by ivigo

Try a geology forum with your questions, this is a forum about meteorites.

35 minutes ago, ivigo said:

Hello, 

From the beginning of the post I have written that it looks like a magnetite, etc. 

I'm not saying it's meteorite, but no one paid attention to the percentage of iron that the rock has and it's from 94% to 96% in 3 different examination.  Magnetites do not exceed 76%.

This rock is almost pure iron and no any rust. This is a very strange thing. So, maybe is not a magnetite , something else? any idea anyone? why no rust at all?

And please give attention to my first post, no any experts have idea what is ......no anyone say....is magnetite ...

I found this , is something but no explain why the rock is not oxidize  in atmosphere.

"This rock is almost pure iron and no any rust. This is a very strange thing"

ivigo: The answer may be found in a Physics forum. Your link states: "if there is not enough oxygen in the water to finalize the oxidation, then (magnetite - (Fe3O4)) forms, instead of the more common Fe2O3 rust. In this case F3O4 is very useful. It's crystal habits makes iron inert against corrosion, the black layer is almost like a passivization. This black layer is so stable not even Microbiologically Induced Corrosion – MIC has a chance to harm iron or steel surface" (paraphrased) 

THE FINER DETAILS OF RUST: PHYS.ORG

Magnetite is an oxide of iron. It is not a component of ordinary rust.

The properties of magnetite are governed by missing iron atoms in the sub-surface layer. "It turns out that the surface of Fe3O4 is not Fe3O4 at all, but rather Fe11O16" . A rust resistant - protective layer. The behavior of iron oxide is governed by missing iron atoms in the atomic layer.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ivigo said:

Hello, 

And this about Martian meteorite...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC124441/

It does not rust because it is not free metallic iron. It is a mineral compound. It is already fully oxidized.

The environment DOES change it! You observed that yourself. It dulls the luster and flattens the sub metallic sheen. This is unlike metallic iron found in horse shoes and meteorites. So there is your answer.

You can ponder all you want about what it is. But that's not important. It may not technically be magnetite. It may be some other like mineral. But it's not a meteorite. It is very definitely an terrestrial iron.

It is sub metallic. It streaks black. It is magnetic but has no magnetism. Let's say "it is magnetite like". 

Your chemical analysis is as good as any analysis of a single specimen. You shouldn't really use that data to come to any conclusions about the type of mineral. If you really want to investigate further I suggest you talk to a minerolagist about what tests to do, how to take the sample and exactly what the results will reveal (and not reveal) about this rock.

Toss it and keep looking. This is garden variety terrestrial iron mineral. Clearly not a meteorite and clearly not metallic.

• Like 1

And one more question about meteorite with iron .

For example , if one meteorite fall in Earth before millions years ago the iron inside what happen?

I know the fusion crust and the surface is rust a lot and have brown color and brown streak but inside...i ask general for meteorite with iron and not only for iron meteorite.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It does not rust because it is not free metallic iron. It is a mineral compound. It is already fully oxidized.

The environment DOES change it! You observed that yourself. It dulls the luster and flattens the metallic sheen. This is unlike metallic iron found in horse shoes and meteorites. 

You can ponder all you want about what it is. But what it is not important. It may not technically be magnetite. It may be some other like mineral. But what it is not is a a meteorite. It is very definitely an terrestrial iron.

If it streaks black and is magnetic it is magnetite. Plain and simple. 

Your analysis is as good as any analysis of a single specimen. You shouldn't really use that data to come to any conclusions. If you really want to investigate further I suggest you talk to a minerolagist about what tests to do, how to take the sample and exactly what the results will reveal (and not reveal) about this rock.

Toss it and keep looking. This is garden variety terrestrial iron mineral. Clearly not a meteorite and clearly not metallic. 

The rock they didn't have any magnetic properties as you can see in the photo.

My friend, unfortunately I live in Greece, and these exams (3 times) that they did  are  too many. Fortunately for free.

I have found many  many years ago the only piece of Amber founded in Greece (0,5 Kg ) The spectroscopy was done and whatever other tests were needed. The comparison was made with all the known samples of amber that have been found so far in a Canadian database, and nothing similar was found.

For the past 7 years I have left a piece that had pine needles in it so that we can learn how old it is. Still waiting. To get in my hands  a document for what I have.

The good is, now is 7 years older...and also i....hahahaha

1 hour ago, ivigo said:

And one more question about meteorite with iron .

For example , if one meteorite fall in Earth before millions years ago the iron inside what happen?

I know the fusion crust and the surface is rust a lot and have brown color and brown streak but inside...i ask general for meteorite with iron and not only for iron meteorite.

Thanks

Free metallic iron in meteorites rust. They turn into shale and terrestrialize. 

Exactly like a horse shoe or an old bolt.

As oxygen reacts with free metallic iron of any type it rusts it away. This goes for all meteorites regardless of the type.

Unlike mineral iron which is more chemically stable and does not rust.

So you don't have a terrestrialized meteorite either if that is what you are thinking.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Free metallic iron in meteorites rust. They turn into shale and terrestrialize. 

Exactly like a horse shoe or an old bolt.

As oxygen reacts with free metallic iron of any type it rusts it away. This goes for all meteorites regardless of the type.

Unlike mineral iron which is more chemically stable and does not rust.

So you don't have a terrestrialized meteorite either if that is what you are thinking.

Hi and thank you.

No i found before 2 days a rock broken in 2 pieces and maybe is much bigger but i didn't find the rest. They have a very rust fusion crust and also inside is rust.  

Looks like iron stone meteorite but maybe is not. Also looks very old and for this reason i ask information . 

1.JPG

Edited by ivigo