Nugget Shooter Forums

Before many years i found this rock. I did''t  give to much attention because it's looks like obsidian. 

I found it again before days somewhere in the house and i see it better this time. Is not obsidian at all.

I know many things for minerals but i am not an expert. This rocks it confused me.

1) Attractive a magnet, not to much but a lot.

2) Is very weight 1060 gm and very hard rock  7-8 density.  

3) In microscope and as you can see in the photo (macro) consists of microcrystals, green, yellow, red, etc.

4) The dimension is: 20 cm long, 11 cm wide,  2,7 cm thick.

5) It has an aerodynamic shape.

6) And most important ,  on the front and bottom side there is an obvious impact point from crush.

This impact have only two explanations. The rock is meteor or the impact happen after a volcanic explosion if this is possible.

If you need more information and i have please ask me.

The photos in order are:

1 and 2 the whole rock on both sides.
3 and 4 are from the cutting point I made and are as they are after cutting (unobstructed) in one piece.
5.6 and 7 are again from the cutting point and are partially polished and are the other part.
8 and 9 are from the piece with the supposed impact point and pulled with a macro.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.JPG

8.jpg

9.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ivigo, As an Administrator here let me welcome you to the forum. Our members are not here to prove to you or anyone from their knowledge and experience that what is posted not a meteorite, t

Ivigo,                      Sympathy is extended to you because of your geographical dilemma, and your persistence is laudable, but your random selection and process of elimination method is an e

Ivigo, Tektites are not meteorites. They are excavated by region destroying impacts that create many kilometer-wide craters millions of years ago. The massive impact excavates Earth's bedrock whi

Posted Images

Well, it's definitely not a meteorite. My guess is volcanic basalt.

Posted (edited)

Why is definitely not a meteorite first and in what looks like basalt rock second?

They are solid for basalt and consist of olivin microcrystals possibly.

All the meteorite is not the same....and the impact?

Edited by ivigo
Posted (edited)

As you can see in this photo the micro crystals is spherical , this is unusual for earth rock....

9.jpg

3.JPG

Edited by ivigo

There's absolutely no indication of meteorite characteristics in your photos. No fusion crust No remaglyphts. No chondrites.

What you have is iron rich basalt. Sorry

Posted (edited)

I say one more time , all meteorites is not the same and this rock is not looks like basalt ...and not explain the impact.

Also chondrites is a type of meteorite with spherical cosmic dust, so, this rock have spherical micro crystals why is not a chondrites ?

Everything new is something new.

In the past i found one more rock and is almost made from magnetite crystals ,no nickel inside (so is not meteorite because no nickel ) but the iron inside is 96% and no rust at all. All this after 3 examination , all 3 institute say no meteorite but no one say what is this facking rock no one.....96% iron in earth rock is not possible and much more without rust.... and this rock have a fusion crust but No remaglyphts.

I would like to send me a photo with this type of basalt....please

Also, if anyone knowing about any earth rock or minerals with 96% iron without rust please inform me . Apart from the well-known column in India, which for your information, has a lot of rust since I have seen it up close.

Edited by ivigo
Posted (edited)

In Greece we have a proverb that says that it does not reach the fox they does hangers,. Sorry if the translation is not exactly .....

Edited by ivigo
1 hour ago, ivigo said:

I say one more time , all meteorites is not the same and this rock is not looks like basalt ...and not explain the impact.

Also chondrites is a type of meteorite with spherical cosmic dust, so, this rock have spherical micro crystals why is not a chondrites ?

Everything new is something new.

Ivigo,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find an actual meteorite someday.

Terminal velocity of a rock your size would slow to no more than 150 mph, and probably even less. The mark you interpret as an impact mark would not occur on a meteorite.  It is, though, the kind of fracture you would expect to find on endless terrestrial rocks. Both the surface and interior have no characteristics of a meteorite. The surface is terrestrial varnish and nothing like a flight crust. The interior lacks any similarity to the many different types of meteorites and matches what you would expect from terrestrial stones. About 4% of all terrestrial rocks are moderately magnetic. The magnetic nature of what you have described is not typical of most meteorites.

Keep looking down. They're out there,

billpeters

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the welcome , nice to meet you....

I will disagree with you because you probably see what you want to see. It is very obvious that the rock melted and the shock wave moved back and forth in the rock. It is not a common break .......sorry but in the photo you can see very clear what i say....also you don't know how thin is the crust in this rock and how old maybe is....

Why you are negative? I don't say is meteorite 100% but from the photo i put is not a regular earth rock.  Also we are make a conversation and we try to find one logical explanation. After the virus crisis i send one piece  to geological institute for examination . Now here in Greece everything is close. Look i found a lot of thing that the scientific community does not accept that they exist....also i make musical instruments from paper and play almost  like a wood ......and this is not possible...

Edited by ivigo

The impact you see looks chonchoidal to me -similar to how glass breaks- which could have happened when your lava "bomb" landed. 

Small crystals indicate fast cooling.

Sorry that we cannot see  what you see in your pictures.

The onus/burden (varos) is on you to prove(if you must) that you have a meteorite-not for us to prove you have a meteorwrong.

Posted (edited)

Let me admit that you are right, do you have a photo of a  lava "bomb" landed,  something similar to prove what you are saying? If you say it somewhere you are see it....

Nothing is break ,only melted and the spherical crystal is not common ... 

The right is not only to i prove something i say , but also the same  for of all of you...

Edited by ivigo
14 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Does the one legged lady ever get tired of holding up the piano?

No, is not tired because front is two men legs and one women hand to holding the top...hahahha

I’m always amazed when someone asks the opinion of experts, all the experts agree, and then the person who asked for their opinion tells them they are all wrong. 

Edited by d_day
  • Like 1

I have see a lot of photos of meteorites many years now and the fusion crust and  remaglyphts is something general but not for all the meteorites. Also to many different types forms and shapes ....

And this is what they found .... how many other in different types never found?  Why always looking for something similar? Out there is a chaos (greek words) ....

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, d_day said:

I’m always amazed when someone asks the opinion of experts, all the experts agree, and then the person who asked for their opinion tells them they are all wrong. 

OK,  expert , prove why i am wrong....not only with words .... photos from a similar rock, similar impact,  something .....if you are expert...any opinion to be right they need facts .....my facts and photos is here ...yours? before i come here and i ask opinion from expert you say, i spent a lot of hours in web for any kind of information.....about meteorites and all this..... i be waiting for an expert something more ....to prove if something is or not.....with evidence 

Edited by ivigo
34 minutes ago, ivigo said:

OK,  expert , prove why i am wrong....not only with words .... photos from a similar rock, similar impact,  something .....if you are expert...any opinion to be right they need facts .....my facts and photos is here ...yours? before i come here and i ask opinion from expert you say, i spent a lot of hours in web for any kind of information.....about meteorites and all this..... i be waiting for an expert something more ....to prove if something is or not.....with evidence 

1 hour ago, ivigo said:

Let me admit that you are right, do you have a photo of a  lava "bomb" landed,  something similar to prove what you are saying? 

Again- your varos(not ours).

Based upon his continued argument I think he may be right. And it tends to support the theory that it's not a terrestrial rock. It's from Greece . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, ivigo said:

Ivigo,

As an Administrator here let me welcome you to the forum.

Our members are not here to prove to you or anyone from their knowledge and experience that what is posted not a meteorite, they will however give you their opinion if it is or isn't a meteorite, if you choose not to accept those opinions then your only other recourse is to have it tested and certified by a scientist that knows meteorites and can certify it, even if our members here think you have a meteorite you would still have to have it tested and also certified to be 100% sure and to prove it is a meteorite!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ivigo said:

To entertain you, I found something( my speling:barnie:was wrong for conchoidal(fractures like glass))

conchoidal fracture basalt

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=conchoidal+fracture+basalt&t=samsung&ia=images&iax=images

3 hours ago, ivigo said:

As the one making the claim, YOU have the burden of proof.

• Like 1

So what is your goal on the forum Ivigo? 

Are you trying to sell your basalt to us?

You asked for people to give their opinions and they did. These guys have found a ton of meteorites and are experts in identifying space rocks. Shoot, I’m a wannabe meteorite hunter and I can tell it’s basalt. I find magnetic basalt all the time where I live and it makes my detector go loco.

Sometimes I wonder if Bedrock Bob cracks a couple beers and creates these posts to watch the thread blow up?:pop: 

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, ivigo said:

And most important ,  on the front and bottom side there is an obvious impact point from crush

The old conchoidal fracture on your rock is moderately resurfaced with terrestrial weathering precisely as expected on any terrestrial rock with an ancient break. It would impossible for a meteorite to have struck another different slower object while in atmospheric flight to have caused the conchoidal fracture and then be develop a thin flight crust before landing.  The conchoidal fracture of your rock in not a characteristic of meteorite breakage, but is is a frequent characteristic of terrestrial rocks. Meteorites do not form conchoidal fractures like your rock as they are not crystalline or glassy. Chondrites are not crystals. Your crystal spherical interior is proof it is not a meteorite. Meteorites do not have crystals like quartz with the exception of green pallasites in an iron nickel matrix.

American expression: "You cannot make a pig's ear into a silk purse". Meaning: "There is no way you can turn a terrestrial rock into a meteorite".

Keep looking down. They're out there!

billpeters