Nugget Shooter Forums

What is the green mineral?

23 minutes ago, Riosman said:

I'm trying to determine what the green material is. (malachite)?

Found 20 mi SE of Quartsite AZ

Thanks

Ross

Malachite would be my guess, too.

To me looks like Chrysocolla, a copper ore. This is a chalky looking light green color.  Either way, still a green copper ore.  My guess is the pile you saw was mined prior to strip mining.  The old timers used to be able to run a copper mine taking the ore out on a pack of mules.  

I took a handful of the green chips, crushed them, and tried to make copper. I was not very successful, just a speck or two out of a handful of ore.

23 hours ago, chrisski said:

To me looks like Chrysocolla, a copper ore. This is a chalky looking light green color.  Either way, still a green copper ore.  My guess is the pile you saw was mined prior to strip mining.  The old timers used to be able to run a copper mine taking the ore out on a pack of mules.  

I took a handful of the green chips, crushed them, and tried to make copper. I was not very successful, just a speck or two out of a handful of ore.

I think you are right, it’s malachite .  This is chrysocolla, often it’s blue like this.  We picked some near the Orange Blossom mine,  a copper/gold mine east of  Barstow.  If you break open your samples, you may see fresher unoxidized deposits of it, with deeper colors like this one had which was not as dark blue on the surface due to weathering:72D5F129-BE64-4C69-AAB4-9C938CC51D67.jpeg

If you test this with hydrochloric acid, it decomposes into a gel, and malachite turns into a green solution.  Chrysocolla is also softer than malachite, and unlike malachite, will not fuse and turn black when heated.

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1

Hope you ran your detector all over them! :miner:

Edited by GotAU?