Nugget Shooter Forums

Food for thought!

Dakota Slim

14 minutes ago, adam said:

Every time you post a link, it is always from a questionable source, and filled with ads & more pop up ads.....Im surprised you dont have all kinds of computer problems....

Some of us have ad blockers. livescience.com is a great site.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Every time you post a link, it is always from a questionable source, and filled with ads & more pop up ads.....Im surprised you dont have all kinds of computer problems....

Yeah I counted 26 trackers on that page even with my ad blockers on. Gotta be careful out there it's not all about ads.

How about in the future we use code like MGR6* when the site has stinky code embedded but might have some good info. :4chsmu1:

*(Mask and Gloves Required 6 foot safety zone)

1 hour ago, clay said:

Yeah I counted 26 trackers on that page even with my ad blockers on. Gotta be careful out there it's not all about ads.

How about in the future we use code like MGR6* when the site has stinky code embedded but might have some good info. :4chsmu1:

*(Mask and Gloves Required 6 foot safety zone)

Clay, by "trackers" do you mean "cookies"?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adam said:

Isn' that SOP for most any link?

7 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

Clay, by "trackers" do you mean "cookies"?

No I meant trackers - as in companies that track your interests on the internet and sell what they find out about you.

Trackers use cookies as part of their business but there were 27 cookies requested on that page and only one of them was not tracking you. 26 of the cookies are trackers.

7 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Isn' that SOP for most any link?

No it isn't SOP. There is no need for any of those trackers. The internet would not be any less useful without trackers. The page you are reading right now has three trackers and they are all from google. The page that was linked by Dakota Slim had 26 trackers.

There is a fourth cookie on this page but it doesn't sell your information. That cookie is for the board software so when you click on "next page" or "next subject" the board knows where "next" is in relation to where you are now. Cookies can be safe and useful like this forum cookie that helps you and doesn't gather and save your every click.

Land Matters only has one cookie so it will know where you are in a series of pages or what area of what map you were on when you want to move or zoom. Maps and search pages can't work without cookies but there is no use for trackers in any of that. If there are trackers on a page there is only one purpose - track the user across multiple websites and build a profile of that person you can sell or use for the tracking corporation's purposes.

Cookies that are not trackers expire shortly after you use them and are deleted if you quit your web browser. On Land Matters the cookie is destroyed automatically if you don't use the site for three hours. That cookie only has one number and doesn't track or save any information about you,

Trackers set cookies that don't expire or delete automatically. The tracker cookies store information about where you have been on the internet and what you looked at in many cases for years. It reports all that as it happens to their home bases.

The internet is free but people will always find a way to turn "free" into money. I personally don't like being tracked so I don't allow trackers to set their code on my computer and I won't allow them on my websites. I have nothing against people making money but when they do it behind your back I find it offensive. You may have a different opinion. That's what makes life interesting.

Edited by clay
  • Like 2

Thanks for the clarification clay. I could care less about cookies or tracking cookies. It sounds like adam may have some malware that is causing all the popups because I sure didn't get any. In any case, there is a ton of information on cookies at https://www.safervpn.com/blog/tracking-cookies/ 

11 minutes ago, clay said:

No it isn't SOP. There is no need for any of those trackers. I have nothing against people making money but when they do it behind your back I find it offensive. You may have a different opinion. That's what makes life interesting.

I find it quite annoying , as well, but am a bit ignorant regarding how to fight it.

Getting back to the subject of this post, what would explain a rain forest under the Antarctic ice? A shift in the earth's poles is the only thing I can think of. I also read that there is something strange under the Arctic. I think it's between the north pole and eastern Canada. Maybe at some point -- 90 million years ago -- the earth got hammered hard enough to change it's rotation.

Edited by Dakota Slim

5 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

Getting back to the subject of this post, what would explain a rain forest under the Antarctic ice? A shift in the earth's poles is the only thing I can think of. 

Happened many times, that is for sure.

That  , ,,and the crust shifting   its relative position in  relation to the mantle.

Just an FYI, if you have a good anti-virus program installed on your computer it should be able to work with your browser and block any ads and trackers, malware, virus etc.

Since I'm an Administrator here as well as on a few other forums and a moderator on some more I have to check many links so I have my computer well protected, but I would do the same even if I weren't an Administrator/moderator just for my privacy and peace of mind.

I do try and remove links that I find that are very dangerous to our members as far as viruses and malware, etc. but as far as cookies I think that everyone should have at least some kind of protection installed on their computers, there are free programs for basic protection out there so there no reason everyone shouldn't install one to block unwanted elements on the internet.

• Like 3

Malwarebytes Browser Guard
Filters out annoying ads and scams while blocking trackers that spy on you. Download free for Chrome and Firefox browsers.
  • Like 3