Nugget Shooter Forums

Old Mine Pics

To help get our minds off of the awesomeness in the world I thought I'd start a thread on pics of old mines. I've found if you get off the beaten path there is still some cool stuff out in the desert. Pics are from AZ,CA,NV, and CO. Just about all the mines pictured are on public land. Before any of you old crusty guys shakes their prospecting pick at me I secured permission from the land owners to visit the mines that are on private property. Its been really cool to track down the owners of some of these mines and hear about the history of them. If you have any pics to share add them to the thread.  

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0344 (2).JPG

20180512_173009.jpg

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

• Like 8

Here is another set of pics to share. On one of my hikes in NV I came across a lost prospector camp. Whatever happened to this guy probably wasn't good? This camp is far from any historical mining camp or town. The camp was complete with cooking untensels, wheel barrel, windlass, two small sinking buckets, picks, shovels, and a pack frame. Pretty cool to see that no one has snagged the dutch oven. 

P1010666.JPG

P1010664.JPG

P1010659.JPG

P1010657 (2).JPG

P1010663.JPG

P1010661 (2).JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

Here is another set of pics to share. On one of my hikes in NV I came across a lost prospector camp. Whatever happened to this guy probably wasn't good? This camp is far from any historical mining camp or town. The camp was complete with cooking untensels, wheel barrel, windlass, two small sinking buckets, picks, shovels, and a pack frame. Pretty cool to see that no one has snagged the dutch oven. 

P1010666.JPG

P1010664.JPG

P1010659.JPG

P1010657 (2).JPG

P1010663.JPG

P1010661 (2).JPG

I prefer to think of something like that as an abandoned camp.  Something that someone decided not worth going back to after spending a season back in town.

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

I prefer to think of something like that as an abandoned camp.  Something that someone decided not worth going back to after spending a season back in town.

True, the pots are all turned over to avoid collecting water so maybe he abandoned the camp?

Here is a small coal prospect in southern AZ. The miners built a small rock cabin and started their digs and then were attacked by Apaches. This was a tricky mine to find since there was limited written data but coal mines are rare in AZ so thought it would be cool to track down. 

20180415_142223.jpg20180415_142242.jpg

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 6

This is a old trading post that supported the miners and ranchers in a distant corner of AZ. The road used to be pretty bad to get there but has been improved recently. There is even better mines and adobe ruins near by but they are in a place you just cant get too. 

20180513_135713.jpg20180513_135451.jpg20180513_140257.jpgIMG_2026.JPG

• Like 7

Here is a pack station that supported Bisbee before a wagon road was built. A cabin and stone corral was built to support the pack trains. I've hiked most of the pack trail and it travels from Tombstone to Bisbee.  

20180622_180442.jpg20180622_180458.jpg

• Like 9

Some pics of a mine I used to spend days in. It has a 1200ft incline and a mess of levels plus it connects to other nearby mines. If you navigate the adits right you can end up on the other side of the mountain range. It was always cool to start in the morning and pop out at another entrance hours later in the dark and have no clue where you are or where you parked. Then I'd fire up the GPS and head back to my truck.  The last pic of the ore car below the rails is a bummer. Years ago you could push the car up a small incline and jump in and ride it back down to the bottom but the fun police pushed the car further down the adit and off a drop off to where it sits today. 

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 8

Cool stuff Kevin.  :thumbsupanim

Have you considered writing a book?

Especially considering you've had conversations with some of the old miners.

Thanks for posting the pics.  :)

• Like 1

Hey Luke,

Haha......nah I haven't considered writing a book. I'm a pretty poor writer but some of the old timer advice has been awesome in shortening the learning curve in my mining.  

For anyone else whose into AZ mining history check out Ghosts of the Adobe Walls. Its a book written in the 60's but has allot of first hand accounts to events that happened in AZ mining camps. Most libraries are dumping their old books online so its pretty easy to find.  

http://speccoll.library.arizona.edu/online-exhibits-dynamic/az100/items/show/222

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 4

Thanks for the pics Desertpilot.

I've got a bunch of Nell Murbarger's writings including Ghosts of the Adobe Walls. She pretty much created the whole thing of exploring "ghost" towns. Her trips through Mexico were downright inspiring.

I doubt Desert Magazine would have survived without her exploring and writing. I highly recommend her stories for any explorer of the west.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comment Clay,

I agree, I'm a big reader of Desert Magazine as well. 

Edited by Desertpilot