Nugget Shooter Forums

On 4/5/2020 at 4:00 PM, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

So, i guess, wear gloves , mask and goggles when slaughtering, and fry or stew the crap out of it.

Between RHDV- 2 and Tularemia, with it's airborne transmission capability, it might be wise to just avoid hunting rabbits for awhile . . .

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 4:00 PM, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

So, i guess, wear gloves , mask and goggles when slaughtering, and fry or stew the crap out of it.

Conventional wisdom and common sense tells us otherwise.

On 4/5/2020 at 3:00 PM, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

So, i guess, if one was in a survival situation  and bugs bunny was your only source of food,(while wearing gloves , mask and goggles )  dip the carcass in a 5% solution of bleach and water, then slaughter and fry or stew the crap out of it.

Better? Of course , the harvested animal would not be roadkill,or found already dead.

That would not keep you from getting tularemia. But if you want to wear gloves and a mask and dip a sick rabbit in bleach before you eat it then I suppose the choice is yours.

There seems to be some debate on temp that deactivates/ kills it.

250F (wet heat )rules out stewing unless usjng a pressure cooker set to the max.

I'd have to be verrrrrry hungry, for sure, but recall ,with fond memories, the taste of fried ,domesticated rabbit from childhood...raised in a hutch( not cottontails or stringy jacks).

I could slaughter/skin/gut one in 6 minutes time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tularemia+heat+kills&oq=tularemia+heat+kills&aqs=chrome..69i57.10198j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I have always had air rifles and air pistols since young, currently I have a Weihrruch HW30 .177 cal I bought back in the early 70's just after married, I traded it off to my father in law to shoot rats with way back then for some binoculars, well I recently got the air rifle back since he passed a couple yrs ago, oiled it up and its as good as new. Fun to shoot and accurate. I also have a Beeman .177 Tempest air pistol in nice shape I take along for camp play when detecting in Nevada, also have a 1960's vintage Winchester .177 childs size mfg germany air rifle I don't shoot it does work. 

• Like 2

I have about 2500 rounds through mine so far. It will put every shot inside a dime at 20 yards. 

I have hit a bunch of grackles with it. The farthest one was about 85 yards. It was a lucky shot but it still knocked him out of the tree. 

I dug a pit to shoot into. I could not get a suitable backing that would last. Even a bale of alfalfa hay got a hole in it shooting targets. I finally dug an entrenchment and set up a first class 20 yard range.

We have been shooting cans in the evenings. Offhand 20 yard shots at crushed aluminum juice cans. I can fire about 100 rounds and miss about 3-4 shots on average. The rifle is a real hammer!

It is GREAT practice. The rifle weighs more than either of my hunting rifles. So mounting my muzzleloader feels like nothing now. And I have perfected an offhand sighting and trigger pull routine that takes a nanosecond to get a good shot off. 

It would have cost a thousand dollars to develop this type of practice routine with any other rifle. Im paying about 10 bucks for 500 quality pellets. I can shoot until I'm exhausted 5 nights a week on one tin of ammo.

I have been buying my pellets from Pyramid Air/Airgun Depot. I can get a wide variety of quality pellets and it usually takes about three days for delivery. So I don't have to go farther than the paved road to get the ammo I want.

• Like 3

So....

The other night when I was shooting the rifle it discharged as I closed the action. When I tried to cock it again the trigger connector would not engage the piston. 

The rifle is inoperable after about 3000 rounds. 

I called Air Venturi, the importer and distributor of Diana rifles. They said they will honor a lifetime warranty and sent me a shipping label. I packed up the rifle and sent it back for repair or replacement. 

The rep for Air Venturi told me they have more business than they can handle. Orders for Air rifles are twelve times higher than at any point in their history. They have hired 50 new people at three distribution centers and contracted a firm to handle their IT department. They have grown more in the last month than in the past 50 years.

They said it would take 3-4 weeks to get the rifle back to me. They would expedite the repair as much as possible but things are crazy busy. 

• Like 4

Why do you suppose air rifles are in such demand during the pandemic/social unrest/economic crisis/apocalypse?

Most gun stores were closed for a while in most places. I see gun guys ordering air rifles to fulfill their gun buying itch. 

But there are a lot of other reasons to buy an airgun now too.

It is not a firearm yet it is a formidable weapon. There are advantages in that respect.

You can stay at home and shoot it. 

You can get the rifle and ammo delivered to your door with no paperwork or requirements.

Quiet. Does not freak people out. More hunting opportunities in local settings. The list goes on.

For whatever reasons a lot of people are suddenly buying airguns. The popular pellets are on backorder. They are selling them at an unheard of pace.

Prices will soar if they are in such demand. An airgun is a good investment. And the airgun business would be a good investment as well.

I bet a guy could make a pile of money with a semi truck full of pellet guns right now...

Posted (edited)

Sorry , I was typing when you were posting. 

Edited by Gilaoro
over post

Got the air rifle back on Sunday. The head on the piston had broken off. They replaced the entire spring piston and serviced the rifle. No charge. 

I mounted the rail and the scope last night. Sighted it in this evening. Here are the results.

12 shots at 20 yards. 18.13 gr. JSB jumbo pellets.

20200623_181729.jpg

Here are the next 12 shots at the dot to the right. Same zero. 

20200623_182757.jpg

That staple in the top right corner is 3/8" wide. So the rifle put 24 consecutive shots inside 1/2".

I think they fixed it!

I have 4000 more match pellets and I am going to do my best to wear this sucker out again.

• Like 4

So...

Last night I started missing targets. I put some shots on paper and the pattern was a couple inches high and right.

It took several adjustments to get back to zero. But I printed a tight pattern. A couple dozen shots and I was off again.

I tightened everything up but found no loose fasteners. Re-zeroed. Shooting perfectly. About 20 more shots and it was off again.

I figure the recoil has trashed the scope. 

The Barska scope lasted about 3500 rounds. It was an economy scope that I was skeptical about anyway. The objective adjustment was out of wack from the start and I had to screw the eyepiece all the way out to get a good focus.

It lasted longer than the piston in the rifle so I guess that is not too bad. I have been shooting the heck out of it. Probably more shots in six months as most people fire in a lifetime. 

I just ordered the Hawke 3-7 40mm. for the rifle. It is still an inexpensive scope but it is a lot better than the Barska. It also has a lifetime warranty and I know this outfit has good warranty service.

It will take a couple of weeks to arrive so until then I will be shooting all over the place. I am sure my son will take full advantage of my optical handicap. 

I might take the scope off and just practice with iron sights for a while. The rifle has nice sights with the illuminated dots. My patterns aren't as tight with iron sights but I can still hit beer cans at 20 yards with it.

• Like 1

I finally got my new scope on Saturday. I like it.

It is a lot better glass than the Barska. And the construction is good. The adjustments are solid and the objective lens is right on for the yardage marked on the bell. 

I sighted it in at 20 yards and it performs great. Dime sized patterns and nice clear focus. 

20200721_191053.jpg

I have almost 5000 rds. through the rifle now. The stock is polished from me handling it. I am actually wearing the bluing off the mounting screws from where my hand sits when I cock it.

I can consistently hit a 1.5" square wood block at 20 yds. with less than one second to come on target and execute a trigger pull. I will miss about 4 shots in 100. 

I'm super happy with the Hawke 3x7 scope. It was only about $120 bucks delivered to my door. So I have about $400 into the whole outfit. It shoots as good at 20 yards as my Remington 40X does at 200 and I can shoot it in my back yard. 

I'm averaging about 50 shots every evening. Some days I will pump out 100 but it is a real workout. My shooting has vastly improved since I have been training with it. I can't imagine a better way to refine your offhand shooting skills.

It would cost a fortune to shoot a centerfire rifle like this. And most varmint calibers would eat up a barrel before you got 5000 rounds down the tube. This thing seems to keep getting more accurate as time goes by. And one pass with a patch every 200 rounds or so is all the cleaning it needs.