Nugget Shooter Forums

Around ten years ago i was working on a couple northern Arizona ranches. Bar T Bar and the Flying M are both cattle ranches that are also a part of the Diablo Trust. So both are located in the area of Canyon Diablo Crater, and they are also both part of the land stewardship which has restored and protects around 100,000 acres of wild west range land, including wetlands and wildlife. So over a two year period i was lucky to live part time on these working ranches while working for them doing construction. We had a small team of guys, five of us replaced roofing, did general remodel of the old summer cabin, and full kitchen remodel. We were pretty remote when it comes to emergency's we were reminded one day when a cowboy got injured bad and we had to load him into the truck and off to the closest hospital 100 miles back in Flagstaff and of course 20 miles of it was bad dirt road. It was not until the end of my working time at the ranches did i get interested in meteorites. The contractor i was working for had recently bought minelabs GPX 5000 and we had success down around Gold Hill finding our first nugget, nice 1g piece. I had the fever, so the following days i was out by myself in a wash around the Mayer area when i heard a nice target. When i went to try to clear the area with my pick to my surprise a big chunk of magnetite jumped on my rare earth magnet attached on top of my pick. My mouth dropped because, i remembered from our training with the gpx that you could find meteorites too, with the detector. Once i learned it was magnetite, i had to find a meteorite the fever was worse than the gold for some reason. Lucky for my sweet tooth, i happened to be working in the candy store. Before moving to Reno, i had just enough time to hunt the canyon diablo a few times and this is the bracelet i had made to remember my time at the crater. :)

IMG_4392.JPG

IMG_4393.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4387.JPG

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4391.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 2
2 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Heavy metal!  Are those your finds as well?

Yes Mike, those are a few of my finds, i found some other interesting ones that i will share soon. :thumbsupanim

Fantastic!  I poked around a powerline road out there once, some friends found some shale and I found something that is probably old, man-made iron, but gonna xrf it some day just in case...

• Like 1

Really nice looking bracelet and meteorites. Congrats. Looking forward to the other interesting ones as well.

Just curious how long ago those were found and whether you could expect to make finds like those these days.

• Like 1

Thanks Morlock, it was made of sterling silver, made by a jeweler i found at a gun store in Sparks called the Silver Bullet. His name is Joe Steel, and while making my bracelet he ventured out to start his own business. So between moving and the difficult time he had mounting the irons it ended up taking over a year to have this made. 

These meteorites were found around 10 years ago, when they come out of the dirt they are white in color due to layers of caliche . The environment has not changed much in thousands of years, so i don't see why these kind of finds could not happen these days.

32 minutes ago, hardtimehermit said:

These meteorites were found around 10 years ago, when they come out of the dirt they are white in color due to layers of caliche . The environment has not changed much in thousands of years, so i don't see why these kind of finds could not happen these days.

HardTimeHermit

I asked a poorly worded question

What I meant was...with all the interest in meteorites in the past decade due to the news and shows like Meteorite Men, seems like there would be a lot more metal detecting for meteorites in that area since you were there. Would you expect to be able to find meteorites like those in this day and age. Or would the heavy hunting pressure reduced the chances?

By the way, here's a photograph of Niningers electromagnetic rake he used at Canyon Diablo.

IMG_20200325_104025.jpg

• Like 1

Morlock the Canyon Diablo Crater is a protected area, they stopped allowing hunting for meteorites back before the Meteorite Men ever came around, i think in the 90's. Back when Barringer was drilling for iron tons of the material was collected and shipped to Europe where there was a market for such things. I had a rare opportunity to hunt there and i can tell you first hand there are not meteorites laying around. No one should get the idea you can hunt at Meteor Crater, it's not allowed and if the guys in the state trucks don't get you the cowboys will. I have heard of the state confiscating someones metal detector for hunting there, but that was over 20 years ago. 

I love that old photo of Nininger, i can just imagine him out there kicking up dust. :thumbsupanim  ht

• Like 1

I've long thought that they should allow hunting there by reservation and permit, with the fees going to help protect range land.

• Like 1

I agree Mike, there is tons of iron to be found, and if it was only for a month out of the year then, it could be done when the cattle is not an issue, while the beef is still in the high country up on the mesa.

2 hours ago, Mikestang said:

I've long thought that they should allow hunting there by reservation and permit, with the fees going to help protect range land.

It's not Federal or public land. It's all private property with a little bit of State Trust land. Any type of rock or mineral collection is prohibited on State Trust lands and I doubt the State would even consider a permit due to the history. The tribes would love to have that land back.

Without a personal invitation by a landowner meteorite hunting is not going to happen. The few I found there were by invitation of family members and with supervision. I've been told that since that time no one has been allowed.

The Barringers and the other private landowners (Crater Ranch and the Prosser's) around them are proactive about keeping trespassers out. It's not an area that's easy to sneak around in.

Due to Nininger's campaigning and the multiple court decisions in the Barringer's favor combined with the history of the railroads and the tribes that area is a legal hornets nest. The Bar T Bar lease there runs through 2026 and by all accounts they have done a fine job of protecting the range land.

• Like 1

That's right Clay, it's a checker board of private, and state trust land. That's great you got to hunt there sounds like you know Bob Prosser. We worked on his ranch up on the mesa, and maybe you know Mel and his family at the Flying M ? When did you hunt there and can you show us some of your finds? 

• Like 1

Awesome finds!!!  Even better, is what you did with them.  Very cool bracelet.  I am having a few things made with some nuggets that I found.  I'll post them up when they're done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

Morlock the Canyon Diablo Crater is a protected area, they stopped allowing hunting for meteorites back before the Meteorite Men ever came around, i think in the 90's. Back when Barringer was drilling for iron tons of the material was collected and shipped to Europe where there was a market for such things. I had a rare opportunity to hunt there and i can tell you first hand there are not meteorites laying around. No one should get the idea you can hunt at Meteor Crater, it's not allowed and if the guys in the state trucks don't get you the cowboys will. I have heard of the state confiscating someones metal detector for hunting there, but that was over 20 years ago. 

I love that old photo of Nininger, i can just imagine him out there kicking up dust. :thumbsupanim  ht

So I guess all the Canyon Diablo meteorites I see on eBay or other websites were presumably collected legally before it became a protected area.

Not to stir up a hornets nest but would meteorites found at Canyon Diablo be worth more than those found at Campo del Cieilo simply because it's a classic location?They are both IAB types.

On 3/25/2020 at 7:52 PM, hardtimehermit said:

That's right Clay, it's a checker board of private, and state trust land. That's great you got to hunt there sounds like you know Bob Prosser. We worked on his ranch up on the mesa, and maybe you know Mel and his family at the Flying M ? When did you hunt there and can you show us some of your finds? 

I have met Bob. I was reminiscing trying to remember how we first met. I think it was when I was riding with John Dempsey up above Jacks Canyon about 1980.

I've been really busy lately but I'll try to take some pics in the next few days and post them up here. The Canyon Diablo material is some of my favorite - not as pretty as the Glorieta when sliced but the Diablo has real character.

Edited by clay
  • well done 1
8 hours ago, clay said:

I have met Bob. I was reminiscing trying to remember how we first met. I think it was when I was riding with John Dempsey up above Jacks Canyon about 1980.

I've been really busy lately but I'll try to take some pics in the next few days and post them up here. The Canyon Diablo material is some of my favorite - not as pretty as the Glorieta when sliced but the Diablo has real character.

That is real cool Clay, sounds like your a bit of cowboy yourself or just all around outdoors man. Jacks Canyon is  one heck of a ride, that is some real beautiful country there, i lived in Sedona in the early 90's for a couple years. I agree you can't beat Glorieta, but i won't kick Canyon Diablo out bed either.

On 3/26/2020 at 6:57 AM, Morlock said:

Not to stir up a hornets nest but would meteorites found at Canyon Diablo be worth more than those found at Campo del Cieilo simply because it's a classic location?They are both IAB types.

I bought a specimen of each of those two...They are very cool and seem to be very similar ... I found a Franconia Iron which was also very similar to the Diablo...I'm still primarily a gold seeker but those guys are extremely interesting, if not as valuable as the gold....Cheers, Unc

• Like 1