Nugget Shooter Forums
LukeJ

Some gold to brighten the day

1 minute ago, Au Seeker said:

If that first guy had a modern metal detector he would of found buckets full, no gallon jug for him!!

If I ever get a ride in a time machine....    That's probably what I'm going to do.  :shhhhh:

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Thanks Patrick.  It's my favorite kind of 'work'.  :)

Here's some more 'work' I've done recently.  :black_knight_standing::head:       :Diggin_a_hole:      :yesss:

I was able to escape the lockdown and hike out to a 'new' gully for some exploration.  After 5 or 6 trash targets, I located a spot where the 'sounds had piled up'.  I wouldn't have called it a target signal when I first started to dig.  But after scraping the larger rocks out of the way, a nice target response was heard.  Once the hard pack was exposed, the chances for gold went way up.  The nugget was large enough to pinpoint with the edge of the coil, so I was able to carefully brush the dirt away until the shiny peeked out.  I had to go back and get my backpack and phone so I could take some pics.  I guess I made a little video instead.  Enjoy !!

After this first, largest nugget of the day, I was able to scrape up 6 more bits.  I found the long skinny one up on the side on a bedrock bench under some tufted grasses.  Turned out there were three other targets there as well.  Four nuggets out of that 'hole'.  The last two nuggets of the day came out of another spot that again started as a 'bunch of noise'.  I just keep kicking the noises aside until there are none, or a metallic target pops up.  In that case, there were two.  :D

Ended a fantastic day with 7 pieces for 2.6g.

There's still gold to be found....

Luke

20200411_151742 (2).jpg

20200411_151817 (2).jpg

Hey Luke,.... when you are walking up the wash videoing ...is that smoke that you are walking up toward,..or are you so high up that you are in a cloud???  Nice finds there...Gary

• Thanks 1

Hey Gary,

No it wasn't smoke.  It was a cloudy day and overcast when I was 'filming'.  I did notice what you are talking about, but I wasn't 'up in the clouds'.  Just an old phone doing something a GoPro would do a lot better.

Nice goin Luke!

Great lookin new wash, glad you got some! :yesss:

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Hey Gary,

No it wasn't smoke.  It was a cloudy day and overcast when I was 'filming'.  I did notice what you are talking about, but I wasn't 'up in the clouds'.  Just an old phone doing something a GoPro would do a lot better.

"INTERESTING"..........   It looked like the smoke (?) was like a cloud bank shifting from left to right across the wash as you where walking up toward your detector.  Where those nuggets on bedrock, or just on hardpack????  The big one looked like it was almost a foot deep???  

Yea, I got me a GoPro 7 and it works great,...........except today when I tried to use it and discovered that I had not charged the battery enough the last time   Rrrrrrr:barnie:

• Like 1

Dang nice gold and a great trash to treasure ratio! WTG!!!! :ya: You never cease to amaze me :)
Tom H.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, the big one was about a foot deep.  There were a couple rocks piled there to start.  You can see them in the upper right.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure I detected the nugget initially.  It may have been noisy rocks to start, but then after they were moved, a good signal developed.  Plus the coil was closer to the target at that point.   From there, it was a little less than a foot to hardpack.  Looked like hardpack/decaying bedrock where I plucked the nugget from.  I didn't dig it all up since I had just got there and wanted to detect upstream more if I'm 'already' finding 1 grammers.  I did re-check the hole again before pushing the gravels back and moving on.  Later, I stopped by there and moved a few rocks, but didn't pick up anything else.  I'll get the little ones eventually.  :D

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Yeah, the big one was about a foot deep.  There were a couple rocks piled there to start.  You can see them in the upper right.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure I detected the nugget initially.  It may have been noisy rocks to start, but then after they were moved, a good signal developed.  Plus the coil was closer to the target at that point.   From there, it was a little less than a foot to hardpack.  Looked like hardpack/decaying bedrock where I plucked the nugget from.  I didn't dig it all up since I had just got there and wanted to detect upstream more if I'm 'already' finding 1 grammers.  I did re-check the hole again before pushing the gravels back and moving on.  Later, I stopped by there and moved a few rocks, but didn't pick up anything else.  I'll get the little ones eventually.  :D

Dang Luke,...that wash looks like it is perfect for placering, as long as your lower back is up to it.  I found a tributary of the Lynx a few years ago like that.  I skimmed-off and removing a 3 ft by 6 ft section of the wash  removing all of the rocks and overburden down to within 2" to 3" of bedrock (needed to allow for some that had not settled on the bottom) and then detected that stretch.  Progressed in this manner all the way up the wash ( about 40 ft ) until I started to run out of nuggets.  Got many nuggets out that way.  Let me know if ya need any help..........:laught16:   Gary  :200:

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 3:09 PM, LukeJ said:

I often feel like I'm going to places that others before me have said, "That place is cleaned out."

After several seasons, and things get moved around a bit, there's a little bit more to be found.  If there was any there to begin with....

When the gold to trash ratio is good, that's another indicator to me that it was hunted before.  If you're only finding small trash that's fairly deep, then I think someone else has been through and picked up a lot of the 'surface trash'.  I wonder what number and size of nuggets were found then too.

yeah those gullies keep on giving.  Those chips of rusted metal can really drive me nuts and make me walk on.  I just try to cut down the trash time with the magnet as much as possible.  Glad you scraped up some more.  Now you might have to go back again …  you know there are some little buddies hiding in the cracks.

• Like 2

Fantastic Luke!  Thanks for sharing. . .

• Thanks 2