Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig T

Nugget Shooting Family Adventure / Road Trip

Due to the Covid 19 situation I have been told not to go to work for the next couple of weeks.  Thinking about loading the RV up with the wife and kids, and travel around to different nugget shooting locations across the south west (CA, NV, AZ).  Don't worry we will be practicing our social distancing out in the desert somewhere.  Does anyone have suggestions of locations that we could drive an RV to that has metal detecting?  Currently club memberships are AMRA, GPAA, West End Prospectors, So Cal Prospectors, and OC 49ers.  Willing to join new clubs if needed.  

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Craig T

• Like 1

I would suggest not traveling, I lived in Ventura, and i can think of worse places to be on lock down. Maybe detect the beach you live in a paradise down there. Here in Nevada it's snowing and our Gov. just shut our state down starting tomorrow at noon. Only grocery, gas, and hardware stores are to be open, just something to consider. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The AMRA and GPAA claims I know of are not RV friendly, but if you park at by Morristown, AZ at Jack Ass flats where the fall nugget shooter can put is at, you have access to the Maricopa group for the GPAA.  I dropped my AMA membership a couple years ago, but there are two claims by there.

I also don’t recommend traveling.  On top of what hard time hermit said, I’m Thinking the California border may be shut if a domestic travel band happens.

EDIT:  I also think the time off for me is coming, but they don’t know how long it will last.  They’ll likely tell me two weeks, but I suspect much longer.

I remember meeting a couple who ran into hard times and went panning for gold.  After two weeks. They’d recovered perhaps a gram, $45.  I have an RV and it is expensive to track anywhere.

Edited by chrisski

Posted (edited)

Hi Craig, 

Full time rv'er here, for the last three years. I agree 100% with hardtime on this one. We are in Nevada right now, and changed our plans completely, to stay in place until July. That includes not seeing our kids and my Father in law. 

Expect massive disruptions in services, shelter in place. If I had a house right now, I'd feel more secure, I can tell you that.

Interstate border closures are a very real possibilty. 

Just my .02 cents.

The idea of leaving the relative safety I have right now is off the table for us. I know my neighbors. I know who I can trust if SHTF. Once rolling down the road, ALL bets are off.

Rv parks in AZ are being closed, with some turned into quarantine camps for homeless.

Stay put, hang in there!!

Regards, Kyle

Ps: I have even stopped detecting for awhile. A trip to the hospital right now for snakebite, or a broken leg, could well turn fatal...

*Edit on the rv parks closing, I saw that on a reputable site yesterday, but I can't find it today, possible "fake news", but not beyond the scope of our current reality.

Edited by Trailertrash
Bad info
  • Sad 1

Thank you everyone for the response.  I guess I didn’t fully think this thru. Was just wanting to get out of the house, and take advantage of the time off. 

oh well - I guess I will suffer thru it down at the beach. 

8565715B-7A0C-4DAB-9B20-4E0B8CEC0AB0.png

• Like 2
  • well done 2

Personally, the outdoors is the best place to be. You are away from everyone except the family and you aren't breathing anyone's cough or sneeze. If the mine shuts down where i work, thats where we are headed. To the hills. We can eat just as good in the camp trailer as we can in our house.

• Like 4

I will be there with Patrick, Lars, Gary and a few others I know of. We may not make it Thursday due to rain all day yesterday, but will be there Friday morning otherwise. We have plenty of food on the shelves in Wickenburg and other stuff is also available. Strange times....

• Like 3

Went out to Randsburg yesterday with another forum member.  Was out all day, hit three different locations scouting and detecting.  We did NOT see another person out prospecting.  Seems like a pretty safe place to be, and had a lot of fun to boot.

• Like 5

Right on Craig, i grew up at C street. We had some good times back when the point was still a dirt parking lot. Hey good luck with your GM 1000 on the beach. I have not been on a beach with mine, but if i were you i would just go out and find out how it works. The monster does not have that many settings, maybe experiment we all have the time these days. happy hunting!

• Like 1