Nugget Shooter Forums

Best corona info I've seen. Bill take it down if it doesn't fit.

Informative, concise and useful. Best to everyone...

( I have edited this because I inadvertently included some unproven statements…apologies)

Hope this is informative:

From a member of the Stanford Hospital Board. This is their feedback (for now) on Corona virus:

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS -- 

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

10. Can’t emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you’ll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 

2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you’re drowning. It’s imperative you then seek immediate medical attention.

• Like 5
  • well done 1
  • Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its been interesting reading this thread. I also believe this country is in trouble but its not the end of the world. Ive spent a ton of time in third world war zones and what always amazed me is I co

Yup all's well that ends (not so) well. We almost pulled out of that nosedive a few times but we finally flew her into that dang mountain of opinions. Good riddance.

Apparently this topic has run it's course and is now locked, no one is really posting any more "Corona Virus Info", most are more concerned in ego conflicts, bashing each other over their political be

Posted Images

That is great info David. Thanks!

In New Mexico we have not had a case diagnosed yet. The State DOH has a very good plan on how to monitor the spread of the virus. Folks are getting smart about it and beginning to defend themselves. Our local leaders are making plans that make sense (so far). Real information is working its way to the people despite the elephant in the room. 

We are lucky to have a little time to learn and prepare before we start seeing cases. And since the H1N1 outbreak we have had plans in place for pandemics at the State and (most) local levels. So I think we are as prepared for this as we can be.

The sick and elderly are who we are helping by washing our hands and coughing into a handkerchief. 

• Like 2

I have edited out some possible misinformation from the original post…No sense in not being sure. The main thing is wash hands and be aware I guess...

• Like 1

Now that we have the first confirmed corona virus cases in NM I guess we will see how prepared the various government and health services agencies are.

• Like 1

another thing I didn't know: This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

• Like 1

This just in: The nanny state California governor calls for all public gatherings to be canceled due to coronavirus. 
The policy said that a “gathering” could include spaces such as a stadium, arena, meeting hall, cafeteria or any other indoor or outdoor space.
That pretty much includes everywhere.

The 'health officials' are recommending the cancellation of public events to reduce the speed at which the virus spreads.  By slowing it down and stretching out the total time of the outbreak, they will hopefully avoid the collapse of the entire medical system.  If the number of cases grows too fast and people flood into the hospitals there won't be enough beds and the idea of quarantine is lost.  People with other medical issues will be severely effected since they rely on the same system.  Many more people than 'normal' will die.

If you feel sick at all, stay home if you can.  If you don't absolutely have to go 'there', don't.  Everyone has a part in reducing the spread.  Remember that the flu is still out there too.  If you get sick, will the hospital be a good place to go?

Older people and those with existing conditions are the most at risk.

Good Luck, stay safe.  :)

Luke

Edited by LukeJ
My wife is an Internal Medicine doctor who cares for old, sick people.
  • Like 5

They have succeeded at slowing the spread in other countries. We see what has worked and what hasnt. 

In places where groups have been discouraged and information has flowed the consequences have been greatly reduced.

We should be using non medical resources to do testing. We should be mustering resources to prepare for the inevitable shortage of beds and ventilators. We should be testing the crap out of people so we know where the hotspots are and where resources will be needed.

All of these are things that have been proven to save lives and lessen the economic and social implications of the disease.

Most of these strategies and plans were developed in 2009 with H1N1. I know New Mexico has a robust plan for this. 

Testing is the only way we can develop the data to manage the problem. The plans do not work without good data. Hopefully our Fedderal government will figure out how to do their job as well as many states already have.

The heavy lifting can be done at the State and local level. All the Feds need to do is figure out where resources are needed by testing and make sure FEMA and the Military know where to apply pressure. Sending clear, factual info will help toward a rational response.

Let's hope they can pull it together like South Korea did. They are the example for success and our leaders need to put away the defensive and selfish crap. Roll up their sleeves and learn how to do the job we elected them to do. 

This is not about politics anymore. What needs to be done is clear and has been planned for years in advance. The fools in high offices need to just run the plan for the sake of our health and our economy. If they drop the ball on this one every one of us will be negatively affected even if we don't get the virus.

• Like 2

I watched the movie "Contagion" a few months ago. While the movie was overly dramatic and exaggerated as hollywood always does, it was similar to what I'm seeing happen now. Watch it if you get a chance.

• Like 1

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

Here is the latest official info. As approved testing becomes available the numbers will raise dramatically. 

There is no place in the U.S. where the virus has not spread. There are only places that have not begun testing yet. 

As expected it is growing exponentially. How bad it gets will depend on the effectiveness of the response. Based on what we know about the virus and how It spreads It is estimated that between 40-70% of the U.S. population will get it within the next two years. So how we handle it in these early days will help keep the numbers low. 

If you do some quick math with today's numbers you get a 2.9% fatality rate. Hopefully that goes way down when more testing is available. How fast it is running through the population is impossible to tell at this point because we don't have good numbers. Statistics and probability show there are already tens of thousands of active cases in the country.

Even in the best case scenario this will be a huge blow to our economy and to our medical systems. It will forever change the way we do a lot of things in this country. Just like the H1N1 back in 2009 only on a whole lot bigger scale.

The big question now is whether you can be re-infected after you recover. There is evidence that at least some will not develop an immunity after beating the virus. This one unknown factor can change the whole equation drastically. If humans are slow to develop immunity the virus could cause much more damage than the current statistics are predicting.

• Like 2

I see a whole lot of things being different in a few months.   For example, 90% of people shop on line, and I expect that to creep close to 100%.  I also see my local Walmart has 8 spots reserved for pickup for online grocery orders, but I bet that will grow to 30 as people stay out of stores.  Also, professional athletes and owners still need to get paid so as events are held in empty stadiums, I would not be surprised that you will need to "buy a ticket" to watch a game on a satellite dish and Sunday Football on ESPN as part of a normal subscription will be a thing of the past.  

Our govt seems like it keeps wanting to promise more to people as we're already in enormous debt.  Some of the things being batted around congress I can't see lasting long such as providing social security or some other income to people infected by the Corona Virus without the tax base behind it with more and more people out of work.

Plenty of people have lost or are very close to losing jobs in industries that I feel are on the verge of being 10 or more years from being recovered.  A couple of people I know in the service / medical industry make good money in the conference business, but their conferences have cancelled and one has been put on half pay with the staff cut dramatically.  I see a lot of indicators that we are headed towards a depression, not a recession.  Could be years before we recover.

• Like 2

New Mexico closed all schools for three weeks and cancelled all indoor public social gatherings of over 100 people. 

Several cases have been confirmed in local schools here. 

We are testing like crazy at the State labs and finding out this has already swept through the population a couple weeks ago. It looks like a whole bunch of people are sick and we are just now realizing it.

The local chatter says kids who were sick and almost recovered are testing positive by the scores. Lots of people have been sick with the "flu" here lately. It turns out some of those cases were actually coronavirus that went undetected.

I have relatives in central Texas and they say the same thing. Something is sweeping through the schools and as testing becomes available they are finding out it is coronavirus.

It looks like this thing is gathering speed. I am thankful we realize what is going on now and our local leaders are taking bold steps to slow it as much as they can.

If we had started testing our population for it when they realized it was circulating they would have closed the schools three weeks ago. People just assumed it was the flu.

Tomorrow is going to be a strange day. I think it will be our first glimpse of how far this thing has spread. As test results come in over the next few days we may find that the price of denial might be pretty high.

• Like 1

Trump has assembled an impressive team of private companies who are working with public officials to help identify and treat Americans who become infected with Coronavirus.

• Like 1

OK here the deal, we can keep on topic, i.e. the Corona Virus without posting any more political posts so this topic remains open so everyone can still post replies or this topic can get locked and then there''s no place on the forum to talk about this subject matter.

There's no problem posting updates on what the government is doing to fight the virus, but lets just keep it at that and leave out any personal opinions of the politicians who are making some of the calls, no matter if that's the President, your Mayor, Sheriff, or county Chairman of the Board, etc., etc.! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If there was ever a time to drop the political finger-pointing, this is it; why bother to blur what the intent of the thread is about. Whether we like it or not we are all in this together and what we do personally has consequences far beyond an internet post. So why not drop the bs and genuinely help each other with no cute little strings attached. We are a smart bunch and may come across information that can inform others. Why not give unvarnished information and thoughts on the subject a try? 

This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to live what most of us know in our hearts: 

Question: "How are we supposed to treat others?"

Answer: "There are no others."

Ramana Marharshi

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You have to love it! Watching Good Morning America this morning (Saturday) and noticed that an item on the crawler (the line of print on the bottom of the screen) mentioned that flu deaths have reached 22,000 this year so far. Odd how you seldom hear panic about the flu when you realize that the last 2 seasons of influenza EACH killed over 60,000 people. Have you had your flu shot this year?  
The latest figure I could find this morning for corona virus cases in the US so far is 2340.

Edited by Roger P
Misstated figure
4 minutes ago, Roger P said:

You have to love it! Watching Good Morning America this morning (Saturday) and noticed that an item on the crawler (the line of print on the bottom of the screen) mentioned that flu deaths have reached 22,000 this year so far. Odd how you seldom hear panic about the flu when you realize that the last 2 seasons of influenza EACH killed over 60,000 people. Have you had your flu shot this year?  
The latest figure I could find this morning for corona virus deaths in the US so far is 2340.

Actually 2340 is close to the number of diagnosed cases of the coronavirus in the USA. We've only had about 50 deaths out of those cases.

Thank you Morlock. I picked the wrong column. 2340 is the total cases in the US. I corrected the post.

Edited by Roger P
correction
34 minutes ago, Roger P said:

e. Have you had your flu shot this year?  
The latest figure I could find this morning for corona virus cases in the US so far is 2340.

Not in decades, and will not be "Coronated", either.

31 minutes ago, Roger P said:

I think the reason for the panic is there's no vaccine available for the general public to inoculate themselves against it. There is a vaccine undergoing lab trials but it'll be a year or so before it's available...if it works.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FlakMagnet said:

If there was ever a time to drop the political finger-pointing, this is it; why bother to blur what the intent of the thread is about. Whether we like it or not we are all in this together and what we do personally has consequences far beyond an internet post. So why not drop the bs and genuinely help each other with no cute little strings attached. We are a smart bunch and may come across information that can inform others. Why not give unvarnished information and thoughts on the subject a try? 

This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to live what most of us know in our hearts: 

Question: "How are we supposed to treat others?"

Answer: "There are no others."

Ramana Marharshi

Unit Cohesion. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

Says Bedrock Bob who just posted "People are so impressed with his performance they are freaking out and buying up all the toilet paper. That is a sure sign of confidence in his leadership" and posted a picture of his toilet paper with Trump's image on it.
Just sayin'.

Slim, I'm guessing you didn't see my warning about posting any more political posts???

The post you quoted so you could get "EQUAL TIME" was posted before my warning and after your first political post in this topic even though your post was worthy to be in this topic because it was about a National Emergency, you could of left out who declared it and the video, we're all grown men and we all know who the only person is that can declare a National Emergency, so no need to mention names and post a video!

That being said I deleted your post before the above post and Bob's response to it!!

NO MORE POLITICAL POSTS PERIOD!!!

• well done 2