Nugget Shooter Forums

Best corona info I've seen. Bill take it down if it doesn't fit.

FlakMagnet

1 hour ago, Gilaoro said:

That scorpion is so cool , I love it!Any chance of sharing pictures of you other creations? Max

I don't have any birds made right now. But I am planning on making a flock of turkeys soon. I make a gobbler a few hens and a bunch of jakes and display them in a flock. It is a pretty cool deal.

I use the claws with the stems still connected. The stems look a lot like long bird necks with a little head on them.  Then I take some turkey feathers and make a tail. Barrel cactus thorns for legs. The jake's and toms get a beard. I even paint the heads and put a red waddle on them. They look just like a group of little turkeys. 

I'll post a photo as soon as I get the group made.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Right on Chris!

There are several species of them. One species is a perennial and comes back from the roots each year. Those are different and have big yellow flowers.

The rest are annuals and a lot easier to grow. The white seeded ones are the ones the Hopi hybridized long ago. They use them for food and basket weaving. They have little purple orchid looking flowers and will give you hundreds of pods on each plant if you pick them small. 

You can make pickles, fry them, bake them or stew them. You can eat them raw too. You would think they would be bitter and awful but they are not. They taste sort of like cucumbers but are like okra too. 

The devil claws (cuernitos or garabullos) were a big source of food for the natives. Amaranth was the number one food and it is EVERYWHERE in our desert this year. These kinds of plants are super easy to grow and produce a whole bunch of food. They are easy to wildcraft too. Most of the time you can locate stands of wild plants and never have to plant a seed. 

Hey Bob, Your family ever use trumpillo to make asadero? My neighbors Mom used to make it although I never had any. Sounds good though.

"In Chihuahua, north Mexico, the berries of Solarium elaeagnifolium (trompillo or silverleaf nightshade) have been used in the manufacture of artisanal filata-type asadero cheese."

(A potentially deadly nightshade unless you know how to use it)

• Like 1

Mr. Bedrock, sir, you would be correct in your concerns for all three. The bottom one is of particular concern to me. I don't believe that many people understand what is going to happen in the very near future with the value of money and the continuous printing of paper dollars. If the current monetary policy continues or is accelerated we are most likely heading for a depression. We have all been through a couple recessions in the past 20 years or so but not many if any have been through a true depression. That being said there are a few things folks can do right now to help prepare for what may come to pass! I don't want to post doom and gloom here this morning but with everyone out of work and businesses shuddered there is a real possibility of an extended recession if not a depression in the very near future. Here is a list of what has been suggested to do in advance by many to help when the depression hits: 

• Pay down debt. ...
  • Boost emergency savings. ...
  • Identify ways to cut back. ...
  • Live within your means. ...
  • Focus on the long haul. ...
  • Identify your risk tolerance. ...
  • Continue your education and build up skills.  
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Mike Furness said:
  • Pay down debt. ...
  • Boost emergency savings. ...
  • Identify ways to cut back. ...
  • Live within your means. ...
  • Focus on the long haul. ...
  • Identify your risk tolerance. ...
  • Continue your education and build up skills. 

Important in all times, especially now.  With savings, its more than just money and having a decent supply of food, it's also the resources to provide for yourself.

• Like 2

I agree Mike.

I think the economic and social impact will be at least as bad as the virus itself.

Back in 2009 after the financial crisis I sold all my gold and bought guns and ammo. When that sold I bought some cheap land and developed it. By 2012 I sold everything that had any debt connected with it. I turned all equity into cash. 

Since 2012 I have been living frugally on what I can make at the local farmers market. I hunt almost every bite of meat that I eat. I trade for most of my bread and grain products. And this year, if things work out, I will buy vegetables from local farms and operate a produce stand.

This thing is going to get weird in the next few months. There will be lots of desperate people. People who are surviving well will become targets. So security is going to be a real concern.

Social problems are going to be a reality. Uprising, protests, drug problems, the collapse or severe limitation of municipal services.... All of this will come to pass to some extent.

We are in for a hell of a ride. The people who don't need much and produce a lot will fare best. Those that are disciplined and have a plan will thrive. A freezer full of protein, a big sack of money and a good rifle will be the best tools to get a person through this mess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

If you think that a couple of doctors have a better idea than all the rest.....    :idunno:

Sorry to say, the damage is done.  The economy is not going to rebound overnight.  Or before the election....

What will make things worse is being in a hurry to undo what we did to reduce the numbers so far.

A 'second wave' will cause more death and disruption which will cause the economic recovery to be further protracted.

If only America could have been better prepared.  :89:

Edited by LukeJ
wasn't done yet
  • Like 1

Stillweaver Hillbllie,

I removed the video you posted because while it has a little bit of good info about the possibility of using UV light inside the body via LED UV lights attached to a breathing tube which has been in research since 2016, which means it's most likely not going to be of any help fighting this virus in the foreseeable future, BUT the rest of the video is one sided biased political content and criticizing anything that doesn't sit well with the video's uploader mindset, with no good info concerning fighting the Covid 19 virus that I could ascertain and therefore violates the forum's rules on political content.

That being said if you could post something/info from the UV light researcher's website concerning the UV light possibility and as long as it's not political biased it can be posted. 

• Like 3
  • well done 1

I just wanted to 'follow up' with regards to the idea the UV light could be used inside the body for treating any disease.

After consulting with 'the doctor' just now....   Even IF you were able to 'bathe' every nook and cranny in your lungs with UV light, the virus is in your bloodstream too.

To take the absurd idea one step further....   UV light causes 'sunburns'.  How would blistering your mucus membranes make it easier to fight Covid19?

I won't bother to mention cellular mutation and cancer.

Just think.  Please.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

The Company is engaging with the research team at Cedars-Sinai and the FDA to determine an expedited regulatory process to potentially enable near-term use of the technology initially as a coronavirus intervention for critically ill intubated patients.

Disbrow continued, “This first-in-class technology has the potential to be a game changer for clinicians treating patients infected with coronavirus and other respiratory conditions, and our team is working tirelessly alongside the Cedars-Sinai team to determine the safety and effectiveness of this device in humans.”

Interesting.....  Seems they found a particular wavelength of UV-A that seems promising to kill the bad stuff and not hurt healthy cells.

I guess you have to be on Death's door for them to try it.  Maybe after further testing, they will be able to make more use of this technology.

Still not sure how it's going to kill the virus in your blood.

Thanks for the update Weaver.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

The Company is engaging with the research team at Cedars-Sinai and the FDA to determine an expedited regulatory process to potentially enable near-term use of the technology initially as a coronavirus intervention for critically ill intubated patients.

Disbrow continued, “This first-in-class technology has the potential to be a game changer for clinicians treating patients infected with coronavirus and other respiratory conditions, and our team is working tirelessly alongside the Cedars-Sinai team to determine the safety and effectiveness of this device in humans.”

Interesting.....  Seems they found a particular wavelength of UV-A that seems promising to kill the bad stuff and not hurt healthy cells.

I guess you have to be on Death's door for them to try it.  Maybe after further testing, they will be able to make more use of this technology.

Still not sure how it's going to kill the virus in your blood.

Thanks for the update Weaver.

It's amazing that this potential game changer was ridiculed. Not naming any of those who ridiculed it but I'm sure we all heard it. We all heard some speculate that it was worth pursuing as well. The bottom line is when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Let's hope it works for those who's condition degrades to the point that they need a ventilator because as it is, their odds are not good.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

It's amazing that this potential game changer was ridiculed. Not naming any of those who ridiculed it but I'm sure we all heard it. We all heard some speculate that it was worth pursuing as well. The bottom line is when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Let's hope it works for those who's condition degrades to the point that they need a ventilator because as it is, their odds are not good.   

Maybe they can find a way to inject disinfectant into the body to kill the coronavirus.

• Haha 1

I think treatment of the disease is a better strategy than focusing on a vaccine. At this point there is no clear indication humans can mount an immunity to the virus.

With the rate of spread by the time a vaccine is developed most of us will already be infected. This thing is happening so fast that we will have herd immunity by the time a vaccine is developed. If an immunity is even possible.

Today covid 19 in the U.S. surpassed the death toll of the Viet Nam war. In six weeks. Most of them concentrated in certain areas. Clusters are appearing in specific populations, occupations, and those with certain health factors.

We are learning a lot about the enemy. And we are learning a lot about ourselves and each other. We are learning that we as a nation are very vulnerable to attack. Our weaknesses as a society are proving to be our worst enemy. 

We have 30% of the cases on the entire planet. We have tested less per capita than any other developed country. So the overwhelming odds are that the number of cases in the U.S. (per capita) is far above any other developed country on the planet.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out our strategy for dealing with the virus has not worked well. Certainly not as well as other developed countries.

Our strategy for dealing with the social implications of this are equally weak. We constantly think this is a political issue. A constitutional issue. An issue of personal choice. An issue that is contrived. A conspiracy. Or an issue we can ignore.

All of this works against us in the most insidious ways.

How we are dealing with the economic problems is yet to be seen. We seem more concerned with bailing out oil companies and airlines. The definition of a "small business" is not even recognizable. We seem to be doing everything we can to loot the cookie jar while ignoring the "essential workers" who make the country tick. 

Most of our time is spent defending some stupid comments made by politicians or being amazed at how stupid our politicians are.

The medical community is all telling us the same thing. Science is in unanimous agreement. Every economist is in agreement. The vast majority of our leaders are listening to them. And the vast majority of the people are too.

We are about six weeks late in accepting the reality of this as a nation. In another six weeks we will be trying to crawl out of the hole we have dug for ourselves. 

Trying to justify the ignorance of our leaders to mitigate political damage is not a worthy cause. Holding our political leaders to the highest standards and expecting excellence is a much more worthwhile endeavor. 

IMHO the election/politics etc. is the biggest factor that makes covid 19 such a serious problem here. It is the reason it is sweeping across the US and doing more damage than anywhere else. Our feet are frozen with politics.  Our government is filled with politicians that refuse to do what is needed, afraid to take the blame.

We are willfully weakening this country and it will leave us vulnerable. This situation will pose safety and security risks of every type imaginable. While we protect our narrow political views and our ridiculous leadership we show a lot of tender skin. Powerful criminal organizations and foreign influences will flourish. This will further compound our health, social and economic woes.

If we don't unite under a more moderate leadership that will work toward shared common goals we are in for hard times. Most of America despises both partisans. They are the vast majority in this country and are not represented by either party. If their voices were allowed to be heard over the constant political drone of the partisans this country would come together. As long as we drown them out with constant political hogwash we will continue to fail miserably at every challenge this country faces.

44 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

If we don't unite under a more moderate leadership that will work toward shared common goals we are in for hard times. Most of America despises both partisans. They are the vast majority in this country and are not represented by either party. If their voices were allowed to be heard over the constant political drone of the partisans this country would come together. As long as we drown them out with constant political hogwash we will continue to fail miserably at every challenge this country faces.

Their voices were heard, in the 2016 elections. Sometimes you have to go with the army you have. As they always said, you can lead, follow or get out of the way. 

Edited by Dakota Slim

1 hour ago, Dakota Slim said:

Yeah, Slim....  I ridiculed it.

How can the light get everywhere inside your lungs?  Think about it.  Even the 3-D model shows it just in the larynx.

It's like saying, "I'm going to clean the bathroom."  And then only mopping the floor on the way to the toilet.

Say you actually 'disinfected' the lungs with the light.  How do you 'clean' the other organs and tissues?

I guess that's why the disinfectant was suggested.  (Sarcasm)

What would be a 'game changer' is if there was enough testing available like previously 'promised'.  Once effective testing measures can be implemented, the economy can start getting back rolling again.

• Like 1

There is a lot of great information to be found here, thank you to members who have made the effort to research the subject and provided information to help others.

Community....  Yep, regardless of the many disparate ideas and opinions posted everyone seems to be truly operating from an honest viewpoint.  Kind of like a large family with vastly different personalities, education and life experience.....  Sometimes keeping the chatter apolitical is a challenge but it seems to be working with a little help from the moderators.  Thank you moderators, yours is a challenging task indeed!

We as a society are pretty well covered from head to toe with information lately, and I for the most part chosen to keep the news input down to a dull roar....  I figure if something truly important comes to light one of you guys will let everyone know.  So gracias amigos!  I like Bob's creations, I make stuff from empty beer bottles, cans, railroad stuff, scrap wood etc., in fact a friend recently viewed my  unfinished piece and opined , "Horder huh?"  Oh well I thought, you just wait until i get my Nevada and Wyoming plates on the piece, then you will see!

On the other hand, he wore a green glove, no wait that is not it...  On the other hand, I have been taking great pleasure from the reduction of vehicle traffic on freeways and surface streets, the ambient noise level has been reduced significantly at my home.  Instead of a constant drone of trucks and cars I hear dove, crows and other feathered friends, the air quality which usually is bad here has improved greatly, beautiful blue skies and nice clouds.  The trees are enjoying the respite from the normal dismal skies and are blossoming and swaying happily in the breeze, many of the flowers in the neighborhood are bursting with color and the smell of honeysuckle and jasmine are wafting around.  As i told a friend who was kind of going down hill with the new normal stuff, take a walk, put your bare feet on the lawn and enjoy the soft coolness of the grass, take notice of the trees, birds, sky and be grateful....  A huge part of the world would sell their souls to have a small amount of the blessings most of us are lucky to have here....    So thanks to a big strange family gathered around the digital camp fire.  Credit to Jim Straight RIP for that comment...  Keep it up guys, use your good senses and stay well....

Keep yur powder dry,

Jeff

• Like 3
  • well done 1