Nugget Shooter Forums

Best corona info I've seen. Bill take it down if it doesn't fit.

FlakMagnet

1 hour ago, Terry Soloman said:

Here is my take from White Plains, New York, where my wife is a nurse (R.N., B.S.N.) at White Plains Hospital. I also worked at the hospital as a Respiratory Therapy Technician (L.R.T.), for over 10-years before retiring. The virus kills people that are over 50, are obese, have lung illnesses like asthma and COPD, have Leukemia, heart disease, Diabetes, or any other number of risk factors.

The vast majority of patients being treated and dying in Westchester County, New York, are illegal aliens, or undocumented workers, of Hispanic decent. In New York City, the story was much the same, mixed with elderly immigrants from Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and other Caribbean islands.

Folks in the rest of the Country can't understand how dense the living conditions are for many of these paycheck-to-paycheck illegals are. Six to a studio apartment is normal, and they do not quarantine, they just keep working or whatever.

Hospitals here in New York were NEVER overrun. There is a Nurse's Union in New York City hospitals, that shamelessly tried to use the crisis to get leverage by saying the did not have proper PPE, and were being overworked. Pure deception. Some City hospitals WERE in bad shape, because the are run poorly, but that had nothing to do with supplies.

Bodies are still waiting to be buried, hundreds. White Plains Hospital has now saved and discharged over 700 COVID-19 patients, and have lost 31. This is what it is. Keeping the Country closed at this point is useless. Let's get back to it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeJ said:

So pretty much everyone in this 'conversation' except me.    :inocent:

If I understand you correctly...    Since these people are not 'supposedly' American citizens, their deaths are less significant? 

What difference does it make where they come from?  They died on American soil doing jobs that are offered to them by other Americans.

Did I misunderstand you?

Yes, you misunderstood. I never said these human beings were less human or worthy. I AM saying, they should not have been here, taxing our medical system and personnel. They died alone. No family, thousands of miles from everything they knew. They threw the dice and lost. Now you and I get to spend our tax dollars to pay their medical bills and funeral costs. Life sucks sometimes. 

19 minutes ago, Terry Soloman said:

Yes, you misunderstood. I never said these human beings were less human or worthy. I AM saying, they should not have been here, taxing our medical system and personnel. They died alone. No family, thousands of miles from everything they knew. They threw the dice and lost. Now you and I get to spend our tax dollars to pay their medical bills and funeral costs. Life sucks sometimes. 

This is not a debate about immigration.

They weren't alone, until the very end.  Their 'family' lives with them in the studio apartment.  They know 'America', they work here.

Are you suggesting they don't pay taxes or deserve anything for working in this country?

How much does a pine box for a mass grave cost?  :idunno:

Edited by LukeJ
added the emoji because it's ridiculous
  • Like 1

You know Terry, no matter what you say you never said, it seems fairly obvious what you are implying.
I have many friends who live and work in Manhattan and several of them are Dr's working in the hospitals there.
Your take on what is happening there does not come anywhere close to matching the reality that the medical people on the ground are experiencing.   

I am attaching an article about my second cousin who is working in a hospital there right now.
I am interested in hearing how you think your post matches up with this first person description of conditions there.
And before you tell us that the article is about immigrants too, that is because, like everywhere in the country the poor are always hardest hit
no matter what it is - there are plenty of other people from all economic strata's that are in hospitals there too. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/2020/04/steering-for-the-heart-of-the-storm-steve-duin-column.html?fbclid=IwAR1bgWX93wAoRgYRvWQwUNmB8isbMwPa4eL0s2h0-eLzA3Nm-_XcdMoiaI8

• Like 2

You should volunteer your services to the Dineh Terry. Here where there are no paved roads much less hospitals they have so much sickness it IS overwhelming the hospitals. Gallup and Albuquerque are at capacity and this thing is just barely getting started.

But they are sick and old. Brown and live in little hogans. Lots of alcohol and medical problems. And a lot of it is their own poor life choices.

There is no reason to spend our hard earned tax dollars in Toadlena. It is nothing to wreck the economy over. 

Let's get to it!

:vomit-smiley-011[1]:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Added projectile vomiting emoji.
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You should volunteer your services to the Dineh Terry. Here where there are no paved roads much less hospitals they have so much sickness it IS overwhelming the hospitals. Gallup and Albuquerque are at capacity and this thing is just barely getting started.

Didn't you recently post about NM being virus free?

27 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

What happened to diversity of thought and freedom of speech regarding this mysterious disease? :pop:

What did happen to it?  Why don't you tell us?   :pop:

Having freedom of speech does not absolve the speaker from possible ridicule or embarrassment.  Not sure either of those things have happened in this case....

I for one, am glad that Mr. Soloman gave us 'his take'.  I think it goes to show the level of disparity in America today with regards to Covid19.

Edited by LukeJ
corrected spelling of Terry's name

Look, if you think I'm a racist xenophobe, then maybe you can explain why the mother of three  - of my five - children, immigrated from San Salvador, El Salvador. I don't care WHERE they came from. I volunteered to work at the emergency hospitals and was told I wasn't needed. I'm just telling you the truth. If you don't believe it, come here and look for yourself.

IMG_3559.jpg

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Gallup and Albuquerque are at capacity and this thing is just barely getting started.

:vomit-smiley-011[1]:

Facts ...again. Dam facts just keep getting in the way.  :grr01:

The New Mexico Department of Health says the State has 3,000 beds available for coronavirus care. The New Mexico Department of Health says 1,000 of those coronavirus care beds are in Albuquerque but they can move resources around the State if needed.

Currently (22 hours ago) there are 172 hospitalizations State wide for coronavirus.  3,000 beds reserved for 172 patients.

After testing 67,869 people in New Mexico 3,411 have tested positive for exposure to the virus. That's 0.05% positive of all those tested.

At capacity ... really?

Edited by clay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Terry Soloman said:

Bodies are still waiting to be buried, hundreds. White Plains Hospital has now saved and discharged over 700 COVID-19 patients, and have lost 31. This is what it is. Keeping the Country closed at this point is useless. Let's get back to it!

I can't speak for the validity of these numbers but....     Isn't that a 4.4% fatality rate?   

In other words...     One out of 23 patients who enter the hospital with Covid19 have died.  

I don't gamble, but I don't think those are great odds.

1 hour ago, FlakMagnet said:

You know Terry, no matter what you say you never said, it seems fairly obvious what you are implying.
I have many friends who live and work in Manhattan and several of them are Dr's working in the hospitals there.
Your take on what is happening there does not come anywhere close to matching the reality that the medical people on the ground are experiencing.   

I am attaching an article about my second cousin who is working in a hospital there right now.
I am interested in hearing how you think your post matches up with this first person description of conditions there.
And before you tell us that the article is about immigrants too, that is because, like everywhere in the country the poor are always hardest hit
no matter what it is - there are plenty of other people from all economic strata's that are in hospitals there too. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/2020/04/steering-for-the-heart-of-the-storm-steve-duin-column.html?fbclid=IwAR1bgWX93wAoRgYRvWQwUNmB8isbMwPa4eL0s2h0-eLzA3Nm-_XcdMoiaI8

I think the article backs up what I'm reporting. Young lady seems like a wonderful person, overwhelmed by reality - as I was the first time I experienced combat. But you pick yourself up and do your job. Writers and media types have agendas. I'm not selling anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

I can't speak for the validity of these numbers but....     Isn't that a 4.4% fatality rate?   

In other words...     One out of 23 patients who enter the hospital with Covid19 have died.  

It's not bright or advantageous to try and manipulate statistics like that to make a point Luke. A Seventh-grader can see through it. 

• Hmmmmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Terry Soloman said:

It's not bright or advantageous to try and manipulate statistics like that to make a point Luke. A Seventh-grader can see through it. 

You gave the numbers Terry.

One of the best COVID-19 suggestions may have been written by Bob Dylan way back in 1961...

The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest
Well, Frankie Lee and Judas Priest
They were the best of friends
So when Frankie Lee needed money one day
Judas quickly pulled out a roll of ten
And placed them on a footstool
Just above the plotted plain,
Sayin', Take your pick, Frankie Boy
My loss will be your gain
Well, Frankie Lee, he sat right down
And put his fingers to his chin
But with the cold eyes of Judas on him
His head began to spin
Would ya please not stare at me like that, he said
It's just my foolish pride
But sometimes a man must be alone
And this is no place to hide
Well, Judas, he just winked and said
All right, I'll leave you here
But you'd better hurry up and choose
Which of those bills you want
Before they all disappear
I'm gonna start my pickin' right now
Just tell me where you'll be
Judas pointed down the road
And said, eternity
Eternity, said Frankie Lee
With a voice as cold as ice
That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity
Though you might call it 'Paradise
I don't call it anything
Said Frankie Lee with a smile
All right, " said Judas Priest
I'll see you after a while
Well, Frankie Lee, he sat back down
Feelin' low and mean
When just then a passing stranger
Burst upon the scene
Saying, are you Frankie Lee, the gambler
Whose father is deceased
Well, if you are
There's a fellow callin' you down the road
And they say his name is Priest
Oh, yes, he is my friend
Said Frankie Lee in fright
I do recall him very well
In fact, he just left my sight
Yes, that's the one, said the stranger
As quiet as a mouse
Well, my message is, he's down the road
Stranded in a house
Well, Frankie Lee, he panicked
He dropped everything and ran
Until he came up to the spot
Where Judas Priest did stand
What kind of house is this, he said
Where I have come to roam
It's not a house, said Judas Priest
It's not a house it's a home
Well, Frankie Lee, he trembled
He soon lost all control
Over everything which he had made
While the mission bells did toll
He just stood there staring
At that big house as bright as any sun
With four and twenty windows
And a woman's face in every one
Well, up the stairs ran Frankie Lee
With a soulful, bounding leap
And, foaming at the mouth
He began to make his midnight creep
For sixteen nights and days he raved
But on the seventeenth he burst
Into the arms of Judas Priest
Which is where he died of thirst
No one tried to say a thing
When they took him out in jest
Except, of course, the little neighbor boy
Who carried him to rest
And he just walked along, alone
With his guilt so well concealed
And muttered underneath his breath
Nothing is revealed
Well, the moral of the story
The moral of this song,
Is simply that one should never be
Where one does not belong.
So when you see your neighbor carryin' somethin'
Help him with his load
And don't go mistaking Paradise
For that home across the road.

3 hours ago, clay said:

Facts ...again. Dam facts just keep getting in the way.  :grr01:

The New Mexico Department of Health says the State has 3,000 beds available for coronavirus care. The New Mexico Department of Health says 1,000 of those coronavirus care beds are in Albuquerque but they can move resources around the State if needed.

Currently (22 hours ago) there are 172 hospitalizations State wide for coronavirus.  3,000 beds reserved for 172 patients.

After testing 67,869 people in New Mexico 3,411 have tested positive for exposure to the virus. That's 0.05% positive of all those tested.

At capacity ... really?

Yesterday evening they reported on the news that every critical care bed was full in Gallup And Albuquerque. They are full of critically ill patients from the reservation. 

There is a critical care capacity and a hospital capacity. Two different things. There are numbers from the rez and there are numbers from the state. Also two different things. There are available beds in a city and available beds across the state.

Facts. They just keep getting in the way!

New Mexico is a big state and we have several hospitals. Few are handling covid patients. Yes, lots of unoccupied beds. But not because they are all "reserved for 172 patients". 

Before the crisis we had a capacity of 54 critical care slots in the entire state. We have grown that exponentially. The few beds available near the rez are full. These are facts. 

The Navajo rez is the third biggest hotspot in the nation. Behind only New York and New Jersey. And their medical resources are as of right now at capacity. More facts.

The hospital beds are free because hospitals are not doing anything but emergencies. The number of free beds does not indicate hospitals are not at capacity. The resources needed to treat critical care patients can't be assessed by counting open beds. Because hospitals reach critical care capacity long before all the beds are full.  Another fact.

Facts that just keep getting in the way.

Gallup and Albuquerque are at capacity for treating critical care patients. You can give a skewed statistical analysis on that for any reason you want. But the FACT still remains. Situations are critical.

They are flying them out to the hinterland hospitals as we speak. Hospitals in Arizona and Utah are feeling the impact as well. There is just short of 2000 confirmed cases on the rez today. Testing is difficult but it is clear the numbers are growing exponentially at this point.

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/gov-lujan-grisham-issues-emergency-order-locking-down-gallup/5716655/?fbclid=IwAR2vHds1f9sF5vRDk8wYxFNVRWxQsxDy--9-ggsWaNvSVE4UPk-rDTjPUHw#.XqxbMGre1Oo.facebook

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Linked to todays lockdown of Gallup New Mexico.

1 hour ago, LukeJ said:

Meanwhile, several thousands don't enter the hospital, carry the virus, are asymptomatic,  not bothered by it and shrug it off.

Sooner or later you need to crawl out of the cave and go kill the mammoth.

38 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Meanwhile, several thousands don't enter the hospital, carry the virus, are asymptomatic,  not bothered by it and shrug it off.

Which is the reason for 'social distancing'.  We don't know who is still spreading the virus.

We can't begin to speculate on the unknowns.  We do know that 31 people died in the hospital in White Plains, NY. according to what Terry reported.

41 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Would you do it while it's 'angry' and still trying to get inside the cave?  Or wait until a time that's more advantageous?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Cant we resist being cavemen for a couple more weeks?

We killed the natives with smallpox. Then we slaughtered them. Now they are dying from this. Can't we postpone our mammoth hunt until this thing passes?

We dont have to act like Alley Oop to prove how much testosterone we can still secrete. I bet you haven't seen a mammoth track in ten years. Just put on something with lots of elastic and be patient for a couple more weeks.

Y lava su manos pendejos!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

Sandia Labs is doing a lot of modeling. They said a few weeks ago that 50-60% would be infected by fall. I heard yesterday they have revised those numbers. They still expect over 60% infection rate but it will be spread out over an 18 month period.

The reason for the change is new policy on social distancing and stay at home orders. They point out that if policy changes the numbers will be affected.

The bottom line is most of us will get it. There will be less health, social and economic impact if we can spread that out over the longest period possible.

Sure, we need to figure out how to reopen the economy safely. But just "getting back to it" and hunting mammoth is a very poor idea.

We can survive. We can be creative. Most of us are already figuring out how to pay the bills in this brave new world without endangering ourselves and others.

My guess is that most of the ones insisting their rights are being violated and wanting to "go back to work" get a guaranteed monthly check and spend their days in sweatpants and a dirty tee shirt anyway.

We will never go "back to normal". The people who learn to adapt their businesses and create an entirely different economy will be the future successes. Those insisting on clinging to the "way it was" are IMHO destined to fail.