Nugget Shooter Forums

SOLD ! 2 Jim Straight books for sale- Fundraiser for Rand Desert Museum SOLD!

GotAU?

Edit: This now a fundraiser see the following post for details.

Both books were signed by Jim Straight.

1. A lightly used copy of Jim Straight’s Three Hours to Gold from Southern California book. Cover plastic is stained (see last pic), otherwise it’s a clean book!  It’s an excellent informative guide and covers a lot about gold deposits that may be useful for other desert places with eluvial placer deposits,  not just In Southern California. - $23 includes US shipping.
176A4CFF-935E-4CBD-8C3D-A96AC6D5FA02.jpeg

3BF223C5-BBCD-4087-B56D-DF4B732F51C6.jpeg

E7D04B0D-FF89-4DEC-A679-5F1BEC265C87.jpeg

The above photo shows the cover with the stained plastic jacket on it, The one right below here shows it with the plastic jacket opened up:

6DFB840B-316D-4F15-9F4E-E8345D44BA34.jpeg

2.  A clean latest 2013 edition of Jim Straight’s Advanced Prospecting & Detecting for Hardback Gold. This is an excellent informative guide and covers a lot about various types of placer gold deposits and meteorites, along with methods and techniques for detecting them.- $23 includes US shipping.

C2AC04A6-137E-4829-9F15-8F7E3C1DF13F.jpeg

7E69027E-30AF-489E-9E7B-D2958436FD80.jpeg
7BB90DCE-7CCF-4996-8A46-FAA8D4BC57E3.jpeg

I bought these as part of a set that had some other books I wanted, so I don’t need these copies as I have my own and am selling each at the current store prices (shipping to US included).

***Buy both for $40 (includes shipping for US)***

Please don’t take advantage of me selling signed copies this way by putting them up on eBay for a higher price; I hope someone wants them as personal copies.

Paypal only, contact me here via PM. Thanks!

This sale is now a fundraiser - and all proceeds will go to the Rand Desert Museum.  http://www.randdesertmuseum.com/

Starting bid is $10 per book, and this is going to end on Saturday, March 21st at 7PM (PST).

Post your offers here, and the highest offer can send a check made out to the Rand Desert Museum (They are a nonprofit organization) directly to the museum,  or through PayPal (We will have to make arrangements for PayPal or other payments later). I will mail you the book(s) on receipt of donation made to the museum.

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 2

OK this is not just a bump. Come on you guys, the town is worth it, and the museum is great. If you don’t know about Randsburg,  here’s a pretty good intro video about the town.  The author of these books, Jim Straight, actually used to donate gold nuggets to help raise funds for the town, so I thought it was fitting to do the same with a couple of his books.

Thanks for helping!!

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 2

OK the generous high bid right now is $15 per book by WLTDWIZ, and this is going to end tomorrow, Saturday, March 21st at 7PM (PST).

Winners simply have to send a check or arrange a PayPal payment for the non-profit Rand Museum, I’m not keeping any of this and I’m donating the two books I bought that were signed by Jim Straight  for this fundraiser.  Jim was known for donating gold nuggets as fundraisers for the town, so this is a fitting tribute to the author. If you haven’t been to Ransburg, definitely go! It’s a rinky-dink little California mining town that is on the verge of becoming a ghost town, it’s full of mining history and deserves more help. You also get a couple great books when you for when you visit to help you out on your search in the Ransburg area Stringer District gold fields. This area ‘may’ be the location of the “Mojave nugget”, the largest existing nugget found California at 156 oz’s troy, and more may be out there as well! :ya:

Note: you’ll have to buy and read the books to find out exactly what area people think the nugget was found!

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1

:yesss:Wow mighty nice of you!:ya:

Well,  What goes around comes around.  Perhaps you can put the books up for another fundraiser auction of your choice!

Here’s the mailing address to the museum, I’ll PM you for more details. Again, thanks a lot,  that was very generous of both of you guys bidding!

Cheers,

Anthony

Rand Desert Museum

Box 307. Randsburg, CA 93554-0307

Too generous!  I had 7pm as the closing bell.  Ok - if @Au Seeker is ok with it - he had the high bid before 7PM. I will have to leave it up to him if he wants to let his bid pass.  I know the people at The Rand Museum would like it for sure. All you guys who bid are great, thanks!

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1

For now it’s definitely close the auction and we’ll see where we’re at. Thanks again everyone!

Edited by GotAU?

On 3/21/2020 at 7:20 PM, fishing8046 said:

$30 a book

Hi, @fishing8046check my last note on your PM private mail here when you get a chance, I sent you information about this. Thanks!

Edited by GotAU?

On 3/26/2020 at 4:43 PM, fishing8046 said:

Thanks Anthony I have sent you an email to get this moving forward.

@fishing8046

All good Bob, I mailed the two books and emailed you the tracking number to your Email account. Thanks again for the donation, it was really nice of you!

Sincerely,

Anthony

***Also, thanks everyone else who bid on this, I really appreciate it!***

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is an old post but other people should know that  Jim's books are still available through  used books stores and continue to go up in value. BIBLIO.COM and BOOKFINDERS.COM  have new  copies from $100 + to used  $77.95 .

1 hour ago, Gilaoro said:

I know this is an old post but other people should know that  Jim's books are still available through  used books stores and continue to go up in value. BIBLIO.COM and BOOKFINDERS.COM  have new  copies from $100 + to used  $77.95 .

Thanks, Gilaoro.  The two book sale sites mentioned may be the only source for these books in the future when people buy out the last of the regular stock. The two books mentioned above in the fundraiser are great books By Jim Straight, and people will enjoy and learn a lot from them and can still get them new - people need to be careful where they buy these! The price range mentioned from those sites, if they are for these two books, are price gouging. Both of these books mentioned above are still available and are still sold by reputable prospecting dealers in new condition at the regular cover prices, but they are getting harder to find such as Jim’s book “Follow the dry washers“. It is the most expensive out there, even used,  as it is out of print and newer editions of the spiral bound versions are very hard to find at a good price. There are some less expensive earlier versions of it available though,  look for “Nuggetshooting Dryplacer Areas” as a 5th edition (1997) paperback. It is a version of “Follow the Drywashers” and also includes a small companion booklet “Detecting for Hardrock Gold” inside.

Edited by GotAU?