Nugget Shooter Forums

I really do not want to look like the lazy noob that resorts to "Hey can somebody identify these for me?" But I've read and read and watched and... But I'm sorry can some of you take a quick look PLEASE!?

So yeah as you might infer from my title, I do not have the know-how or experienced knowledge that some of you here possess but I am really wanting to learn if someone is wanting to impart what they have learned, I am ready and willing! 

So, if y'all wouldn't mind having a look at my stones... lol (I jest) 

No but honestly I believe I have some really cool material here although I'm not positive, could a few of you please give me your expert opinions? I will reply and answer questions as quickly as I possibly can. 

Also; Thank You!!!! (In advance) for your time, energy, and efforts it helping me find a conclusion.) 

Also, I am open to selling these specimens should anyone show interest in that respect. 👍

20200301_013459.jpg

20200301_013446.jpg

20200301_013408.jpg

20200301_013403.jpg

20200301_013347.jpg

20200301_013325.jpg

20200301_013319.jpg

I'm not sure exactly how many stones you have. But I see pyrite in quartz in one and mica in quartz in another.

• Like 1

Aww man... yeah I thought this too so I broke pieces off and turned it into even smaller and smaller pieces and then added them to a plastic container of muriotic acid and everything gold or yellow color was unaffected... What does this mean I'm so confused... what am I doing wrong here??

11 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I'm not sure exactly how many stones you have. But I see pyrite in quartz in one and mica in quartz in another.

38 minutes ago, Robotically said:

Aww man... yeah I thought this too so I broke pieces off and turned it into even smaller and smaller pieces and then added them to a plastic container of muriotic acid and everything gold or yellow color was unaffected... What does this mean I'm so confused... what am I doing wrong here??

You have Pyrite and mica in a quartz matrix. At least that is what it appears to be.

I don't know why you are using muratic acid. What is the plan with that? Be careful using acids on minerals. It can liberate gas and create an inhalation and possibly an explosion hazard. So unless you know what you are doing I would suggest not doing that.

You just need to stick with basic mineral ID. Simply observing the crystal structure under a hand lens will ID any constituents in those rocks. 

The rocks are from a sulphide deposit. Exactly the right stuff to host gold and other minerals. So you have identified suitable geology. 

Congratulations !!

You are this months winner for longest thread title   :woot:

Edited by adam
  • Haha 2
21 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You have Pyrite and mica in a quartz matrix. At least that is what it appears to be.

I don't know why you are using muratic acid. What is the plan with that? Be careful using acids on minerals. It can liberate gas and create an inhalation and possibly an explosion hazard. So unless you know what you are doing I would suggest not doing that.

You just need to stick with basic mineral ID. Simply observing the crystal structure under a hand lens will ID any constituents in those rocks. 

The rocks are from a sulphide deposit. Exactly the right stuff to host gold and other minerals. So you have identified suitable geology. 

Well, like I said, pure noob here... would that maybe have something to do with my feeling intoxicated a bit later on and then throwing up several times? Yikes...

One more thing, I did that scratch test with a friend and we were able to get a few scratches all of the way up to somewhere in the range of 14k using the respective acids to test it but like I said, I'm pretty much in the realm of not knowing if we even did it right... seems simple enough... 

Thanks for your reply man, I appreciate it!

22 minutes ago, Robotically said:

Well, like I said, pure noob here... would that maybe have something to do with my feeling intoxicated a bit later on and then throwing up several times? Yikes...

One more thing, I did that scratch test with a friend and we were able to get a few scratches all of the way up to somewhere in the range of 14k using the respective acids to test it but like I said, I'm pretty much in the realm of not knowing if we even did it right... seems simple enough... 

Thanks for your reply man, I appreciate it!

If you have a gold alloy the scratch test works great. If you don't have a gold alloy the scratch test is meaningless.

The scratch test does not identify gold. It tests for purity. So there is that.

Just look at the stuff under a magnifying glass. Observe the shape and the planes formed by the crystal structure. Poke at it with a needle and determine how brittle (or soft) it is. If there is still mystery crush a hand full into fine dust and pan it under some water to determine weight/density. 

All it takes to identify gold is simple observation. It is much softer and heavier than any other mineral and this will be easy to determine with basic tests. 

2 hours ago, fuss said:

Where are these from? and when you applied the acid was there fizzing?

I cannot say where these are from as... I do not know. However, I've done things like crushed some down and panned them out... it's fools gold...