Nugget Shooter Forums

Prospecting Clubs Claims Holdings

I've been wondering lately why Prospecting Clubs only provide Claim maps to their Members.  It seems that first of all, it would be good advertising to lure new members to join their club.  Secondly, it would provide responsible non-members accurate maps to better avoid inadvertently trespassing on active claims.  I'm sure the Clubs must realize accurate claim location data is available to those who wish it.  Maybe the figure most people won't go through the effort.

I can perhaps understand not publishing detail information about the Claim, or even detail directions, but a Claim map wouldn't necessarily have that information anyway.

Perhaps they think, that making claim maps available it will encourage trespassing.  Though it seems that those who would knowingly trespass wouldn't care about actual claim boundaries anyway.

What am I missing...

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, MikeBiondo said:

Though it seems that those who would knowingly trespass wouldn't care about actual claim boundaries anyway.

What am I missing...

Membership has its benefits. Why give it away?

A claim says, "gold is over here", and, in my opinion, would attract rifraf.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Membership has its benefits. Why give it away?

A claim says, "gold is over here", and, in my opinion, would attract rifraf.

I agree, club membership does have benefits...social benefits, educational benefits, fraternal benefits of like-minded individuals.  Those are not being given away.  You have to join the club to benefit. 

However, (as several Forum members graciously pointed out to me) claim locations are freely available anyway, why give the impression that they are secret?  For example below are a couple of screenshots, one from mylandmatters.org (excellent resource!) showing all the claims for a T7N R3W S28.  The other is a page from the Maricopa County Recorder showing the *exact* location in Section 28 of the Roadrunners Prospecting Club's SANDO Claim taken from the LandMatters screenshot.

I would think the riff-raff already knows there is gold in a particular area, and if they are intent on trespass, they probably don't care about Claim boundaries anyway.

A Prospecting Club making Claim locations freely available would be for those who want to make ever attempt to respect the boundaries of Active Claims, not trespass...

Mike

LM.jpgCR.jpg

• Like 1

"A Prospecting Club making Claim locations freely available would be for those who want to make ever attempt to respect the boundaries of Active Claims, not trespass...

Mike"

May be in a perfect world.

But you don't have to convince me...

Your average thief is not about to "steal" from a mining claim. Way too much work. Easier to rob the miners when they leave the claim or hold up little old ladies. Thieves are too lazy to dig and process for a couple of grams a day - heck they could make more money begging at the circle K or selling drugs to schoolkids.

If you are worried about claim theft it's other miners you need to watch out for. They could look up claims since they are public information. They don't look up claims though because the last thing a thieving miner worries about is who owns the stuff they are stealing. That's why they are thieves.  :grr01:

Looking for gold just because there is a claim would be a bad plan. The vast majority of mining claims aren't even located for gold. Even the ones located for gold seldom have enough gold to make them profitable. That includes club claims.

I could care less if a prospecting club publishes their claims. That's their business and if they think their claim locations are "secret" they are deluded. All claims are public information by law. Most of the clubs have their locations so screwed up their members can't find them and even the "best" clubs have piss poor claim locations based more on fantasy than properly located claim boundaries.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • well done 1
2 hours ago, clay said:

Most of the clubs have their locations so screwed up their members can't find them and even the "best" clubs have piss poor claim locations based more on fantasy than properly located claim boundaries.

And to make matters worse, a person could across a location monument indicating the name of a Claim and such&such a corner.  However without first checking the records, you have absolutely no idea if the Claim is even Active.  The Claim could have been closed for years...

Mike

Old Claim monuments never die, they just smell that way...  :D

There are several good apps that give you all BLM claim information; Active, Closed, etc. Try Minecache for one. All your questions answered. 👍🏼

Many years ago I was thinking about joining the GPAA. I called the headquarters to see if they had any claims in my area. I was told I had to join to find out. Was the last time I thought about joining.....

• Like 1