Nugget Shooter Forums

Two strewn fields, two days, two meteorites

3 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

Forgive me Calfinder, but you seem to be sure this is not a meteorite, maybe you have more education than me, but i don't understand how you can see thru this rock. Seems like weathering would cover anything from a broken corner. :idunno:ht

The "crust" on it looks like it fell ~yesterday (no rust), but you're saying weathering's covering everything up? 

...And a broken corner is the same color and similar texture as the crust...?

That doesn't add up. 

It's fresh or it isn't.  Does it look like a weathered stone?  No.  Does it look like a fresh stone?  Kind of, but not really.  

Mike says the chipped corner is also covered in fusion crust because it's the same color as the smooth sides.  I think it looks like a piece of homogenous, fine-grained black rock that's been mostly weathered ~round, and then got chipped on one edge. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This past weekend I was invited on a group hunt at the Bullhead City strewn field.  My girlfriend used to live in Kingman and we would head over to Lauglin often, and every time we made that drive I w

Some close-ups.

If anyone approaches you on private land just insist you are the rightful owner and threaten to call the Sheriff. If they persist just scream they stole your land and call the Sheriff. Chances are the

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, CaliforniaFinder said:

Look carefully at this photo.  The rough flat side facing us is a broken face.  We're looking at the interior of the rock.

That's not the rock interior, that's fusion crust staring back at you.

1 hour ago, Mikestang said:

That's not the rock interior, that's fusion crust staring back at you.

Then the sharp edge doesn't make sense. 

Fusion crust - sharp broken edge - fusion crust

- doesn't work.  That ain't crust.  

There are no sharp edges, not sure what you're seeing to think that.

It absolutely, undoubtedly, is fusion crust.  Nothing else looks like fusion crust does.

All of the edges are smooth and rounded, just like you would expect.

Invitation stands to look at it in person, just let me know.

20200226_130518.jpg

20200226_130541.jpg

20200226_130608.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CaliforniaFinder said:

Then the sharp edge doesn't make sense. 

Fusion crust - sharp broken edge - fusion crust

- doesn't work.  That ain't crust.  

WillM... Is CF an alias of yours?

• Haha 1

I’m not sure what that is, it looked like a meteorite to me, but I am new to this. But I do know ventifacts can get smoothed out like that too.  I often get fooled by the basalt ones thinking they are meteorites until I look at them closely. If they are are on stable ground like desert pavement, it helps to note their orientation, as they are usually oriented to the prevailing winds much like little petrified sand dunes.

Edited by GotAU?

When you look at fusion crust under a loupe there is no doubt what it is; this find is no exception.  I'm glad to let anyone look at it that so desires.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

Well i was just looking up BHC meteorite, to see what all the fuss is

The best place for pict of some of the finds is Larry Atkins' page: https://cosmicconnectionmeteorites.com/bullhead-city/

The lack of oxidation is interesting, but not unheard of.  E.g. I have Holbrook finds that run the gambit of "looks like it fell yesterday" to "looks like it fell 1000 years ago in a swamp".  My sole cold find looks like it fell a couple hundred years ago, but classified as W0.

Maybe it's from a different fall? It does look different than any BHC , but whatever it's what you feel you need to do or don't do. Looks like a nice trip was had regardless. :)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Morlock said:

WillM... Is CF an alias of yours?

No ha ha ha , I think that rule is true but on rare occasion a spalled edge will pick up something crust-like, however the surface of the find looks granular, like a slightly weathered iron to me.

Edited by WillM
Typo
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, WillM said:

No ha ha ha , I think that rule is true but on rare occasion a spalled edge will pick up something crust-like, however the surface of the find looks granular, like a slightly weathered iron to me.

News flash Will. Irons are not granular at all. They are iron. 

35 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

News flash Will. Irons are not granular at all. They are iron. 

The fusion crust becomes granular in appearance after some time? Am I right?

1 hour ago, WillM said:

The fusion crust becomes granular in appearance after some time? Am I right?

Nope. Fusion crust is a smooth burnished finish. On an iron it is often blue/black and polished. Crust on an iron looks very similar to mill scale on a black iron pipe when fresh. 

Anything granular reflects the texture of the matrix. Fusion crust is a thin shell polished by air friction. It is as smooth as a baby's bottom over the contours in the substrate.

After time it flakes off. Like an eggshell. Just like paint peeling off a car fender. And just about the same thickness as a paint finish. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

You can use the most current land manager BLM maps on Land Matters. Land Matters gets their data direct from the BLM. The Land Matters maps are much more up to date than the paper maps some BLM offices still have in stock.

• Like 2

If you elect to purchase paper maps it's much easier to call the local office and order it, they're $4 each with no charge to ship.  But like clay said, they're not all that up to date (but better tan nothing and you can take them to the field with no internet).

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Mikestang said:

If you elect to purchase paper maps it's much easier to call the local office and order it, they're $4 each with no charge to ship.  But like clay said, they're not all that up to date (but better tan nothing and you can take them to the field with no internet).

I keep the paper maps in my truck for in the field, and double check them using that website to see if there’s any updates. Paper maps are so much easier to use in the field.  I guess that’s old-school though, as I still also carry and use a Brunton pocket transit and topos around with me too.

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 3