Nugget Shooter Forums

8 hours ago, Morlock said:

I don't see any dark colored rocks in the photos of the area. Fresh meteorites have a very distinctive dark colored fusion crust which any meteorite hunter should be able to readily indentify, even from atop a horse. The extra height also means you'll be able to see over quite of few of the "bushes" so you should be able to cover more ground in less time. If I had access to a horse in that area, that's the way I would go.

Here's the center of where NASA believes the strewn field is located.Capture+_2020-02-22-20-13-49.png

Capture+_2020-02-22-20-17-33.pngCapture+_2020-02-22-20-50-54.pngSeems like a good place to start. I've spent time in the area in the past hunting deer, quail and javelina. Not certain why anyone would consider this rough or formidable terrain.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see any dark colored rocks in the photos of the area. Fresh meteorites have a very distinctive dark colored fusion crust which any meteorite hunter should be able to readily indentify, even fr

This site estimate that the strewn field is well north of skull valley , and they indicated that dopplar showed some imagery indicating meteorites. https://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/meteorite-falls/event

I was out there today for a few hours .....This is what the terrain looks like and there are lots of open areas to check. I think a freshly fallen meteorite would actually stand out fairly well in the

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Billyazprospector said:

Adam, looks better then where I was hunting....

IMG_4838.jpg

You shoulda been riding a horse. You could see over those bushes and locate the distinctive dark fusion crust that any meteorite hunter should be able to readily identify. I don't see any dark colored rocks in the photo so it should be easy to locate one at a canter. :)

Good luck man! I hope you find one as big as your head in that mess.

9 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Curious why the elevation is listed as 1489 feet at the bottom of the pic above when the X is adjacent to the 5400' contour.

??

Good question, it's the elevation where I'm at.

Edited by Edge
13 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

If'n you say so.... :inocent:

Is that the best you can do?:rolleyes: I was expecting a long winded 5000 word, 20 paragraph masters like dissertation entitled "Why You Can't Find Meteorites While RidingThe Equus Caballus With A 305 Steel And Cowhide Seating Device"

Seriously, I don't know what the big bissue is. I'm not saying this is the only way to hunt for meteorites in that area. I'm saying the terrain would be very suitable for using a horse. I'm very familiar with that area as I dredged not far from there. There's hardly any dark rocks, the soil is light colored which would contrast with the dark fusion crust of a newly fallen meteorite.

I realize most people  would not want to use a horse..either from lack of access or perhaps they couldn't afford it. I'm not saying a horse could go anywhere either. But it would sure cover a lot more ground then on foot. So what if you'd have to dismount every time you came across a suspect rock....there simply aren't that many dark rocks in the area to make that an issue.

Opine on...:inocent:

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Is that the best you can do?:rolleyes: I was expecting a long winded 5000 word, 20 paragraph masters like dissertation entitled "Why You Can't Find Meteorites While RidingThe Equus Caballus With A 305 Steel And Cowhide Seating Device"

Seriously, I don't know what the big bissue is. I'm not saying this is the only way to hunt for meteorites in that area. I'm saying the terrain would be very suitable for using a horse. I'm very familiar with that area as I dredged not far from there. There's hardly any dark rocks, the soil is light colored which would contrast with the dark fusion crust of a newly fallen meteorite.

I realize most people  would not want to use a horse..either from lack of access or perhaps they couldn't afford it. I'm not saying a horse could go anywhere either. But it would sure cover a lot more ground then on foot. So what if you'd have to dismount every time you came across a suspect rock....there simply aren't that many dark rocks in the area to make that an issue.

Opine on...:inocent:

Great! Ride 'em cowboy!

10 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Great! Ride 'em cowboy!

My days of adventure have long passed.

52 minutes ago, d_day said:

Now you just wrangle Eloi?

Nope. Those days have long passed. We arm wrestle these days and they win just about every time.:rolleyes:

• Haha 2
57 minutes ago, d_day said:

Now you just wrangle Eloi?

Blow the horn and they will come . . .

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, BMc said:

Blow the horn and they will come . . .

Nope. We text these days.

• Like 1

I talked with a bunch of people that were there last week and all came home empty handed.  Maybe nothing made it to the ground, or maybe it all landed in the underbrush shown by Billyazprospector.

The problem for the general public is that two reputable resources are reporting it in 2 completely different locations.

One reports it here:

https://fireball.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/event/2020/795

And this one reports it several miles north of the one above.

https://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/meteorite-falls/events/prescott-az?fbclid=IwAR3DT6CO5CVrsUhUTPfTtv4RMqXPCYRUbJ9pbqLyIcll09T_J7QMKQCGqQo

Edited by adam
1 hour ago, adam said:

The problem for the general public is that two reputable resources are reporting it in 2 completely different locations.

One reports it here:

https://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/meteorite-falls/events/prescott-az?fbclid=IwAR3DT6CO5CVrsUhUTPfTtv4RMqXPCYRUbJ9pbqLyIcll09T_J7QMKQCGqQo

Is that typical to have more than one report? It seems like a problem for everyone down there, i'm surprised no one has found any yet. 

10 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Watched a news clip with Robert Ward, stated "they" think it was the size of a microwave. Pretty small. May be tough to find.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he meant microwave sized before entry so after it entered the atmosphere most of it completely disintegrated ..if not all of it. 

By the way, any meteor that causes a sonic boom can't be considered small imho.

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Morlock said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he meant microwave sized before entry so after it entered the atmosphere most of it completely disintegrated ..if not all of it. 

By the way, any meteor that causes a sonic boom can't be considered small imho.

If it left a visible contrail there must have been something left after the bolide. Objects that completely disentigrate don't cause vapor trails or radar images.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears the sound it is only a shrub?

• Like 2

The Pressure is on Mr. Ward, pro meteorite hunter has meteorite land in his backyard. Hope to see something soon, don't make me come down there, one of you locals should be able to find one, good luck everyone. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, adam said:

One reports it here:

I'd put more faith in the Doppler returns, the fall was recorded by several sites over a 20 minute period.

I talked to a buddy if mine whom watched the event Sunday morning while near my house coyote hunting. When I asked him where he would put the strewn field based on his location and the trajectory, he put the strewn field south of US 60 and west of Wickenburg.

It's now been two weeks since this fall. What's the most likely scenario?

A. The meteor completely disintegrated and left no recoverable pieces.

B.  The meteor left recoverable pieces but the strewn field hasn't been located.

C.  Meteorites have been located but the strewn field is being kept secret by the finder.

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

It's now been two weeks since this fall. What's the most likely scenario?

A. The meteor completely disintegrated and left no recoverable pieces.

B.  The meteor left recoverable pieces but the strewn field hasn't been located.

C.  Meteorites have been located but the strewn field is being kept secret by the finder.

B and C    

If the fragments fell in the area where the Doplar Radar indicated , you have to realize that a lot of the terrain out there is impossible to navigate. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

B and C    

If the fragments fell in the area where the Doplar Radar indicated , you have to realize that a lot of the terrain out there is impossible to navigate. 

It would be easy on a horse..... :)

Probably B. It will be C for a long time until anyone hears about it.

If I found a piece I would probably hunt for years for other pieces before I told a soul about it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It would be easy on a horse..... :)

Exactly. They would have found all the pieces by now.:)

• Like 2