Nugget Shooter Forums

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see any dark colored rocks in the photos of the area. Fresh meteorites have a very distinctive dark colored fusion crust which any meteorite hunter should be able to readily indentify, even fr

This site estimate that the strewn field is well north of skull valley , and they indicated that dopplar showed some imagery indicating meteorites. https://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/meteorite-falls/event

I was out there today for a few hours .....This is what the terrain looks like and there are lots of open areas to check. I think a freshly fallen meteorite would actually stand out fairly well in the

Posted Images

https://fireball.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/event/2020/795

Reported around 720 am on Sunday morn. Over 3 on Richter scale + a sonic boom.

Supposedly  had a green glow indicating nickel.

I clicked on the KML FILE(above link,top righthand corner and was greeted with a maze of lines(sjghtings) in the Phoenix valley.

Supposed "geometric impact  point"  near Wikieup. How "they" narrowed it down to that area has me :89:

Local paper https://www.abc15.com/news/region-northern-az/prescott/meteorite-gold-rush-after-meteor-falls-over-prescott

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli

As luck would have it the shows in Tucson ended this past weekend. No doubt almost everyone is searching for fragments.

Sounds like a substantial fall but you never know. I just hope some forum members find some and post pictures.

i was driving north on 43rd ave and it appeared directly in front of me at about 30 to 40 degree angle and was falling at about 30 degree angle  westward and lasted maybe 3 seconds. Just appeared as a white streak. I was driving and heard no sound and saw no explosion.Lots of sightings with details reported. Surprised it took so long for it to show up on this forum. Hope it is located soon. I"m not a meteorite hunter but enjoy this forum. Good luck to any of you who go out searching.

• Like 1

My clock said 7:18am.  :)

So, I was driving north on I-17, and just as I passed under the Anthem overpass, I witnessed the meteor fall.

The sun had not yet risen, but the sky was bright blue.  The meteor flew east to west, and was brilliant white.  I observed at least three pieces, the main mass and two smaller bits.  At the time, it looked like it could have landed on the other side of the Bradshaws.  Probably further though.  There was a condensation trail that stayed in the sky for a few minutes at least.  From the trail, I estimate the rock fell at a 20-30 degree angle from the horizon.  Didn't hear a boom, probably because I was driving.  It definitely caught my attention though.

Best one I've seen yet.  :yesss:

Luke

• Like 1
  • well done 1

My clock said 7:17 and I was several miles south of Anthem. Driving in the city and it appeared as about 3 seconds and I would call it a flash in the sky. My estimate at the time was some distance away and very fast. At the time I guessed it landed before the Colorado river and in the Northwest part of /az. Everything I have read confirms what I thought at the time and more. An experience I will never forget. If any forum members are able to recover anything I would love to see pictures to complete my experience.

I wonder what the probability is of finding meteorites after hearing a meteor induced sonic boom. Would it be unusual not to find anything?

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

I wonder what the probability is of finding meteorites after hearing a meteor induced sonic boom. Would it be unusual not to find anything?

A buddy witnessed it, said it was spectacular. It may have been picked up on 3-4 regional Doppler Radar stations. I'm seeing I can download the loops from that date and time, I'm just too busy at the moment.

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

I heard the sonic boom from the Sutter's Mill meteorite and there were a bunch of pieces found. Lots of people searching everywhere in the Coloma/ Lotus area. I was in Lake Tahoe at the time and thought they were blasting with dynamite for avalanches, but it was much louder and you could actually feel the shock wave.

• Like 1

Unfortunately they changed the algorithm doppler uses a while back and it had a detrimental effect on using it to locate meteorite falls.

2 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Unfortunately they changed the algorithm doppler uses a while back and it had a detrimental effect on using it to locate meteorite falls.

I don't know what you mean. I do know Doppler was used a couple years ago to locate a fall in the Venom Valley

Bill. I'll b n touch this evening.

The software that processes the doppler returns was modified in the last year or two, and now it doesn't display meteorite falls as well as it used to.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Billyazprospector said:

Did 8.5 miles looking today, Tough area to hunt! No luck...

I hope you find some in the coming days. I bet there's a lot of people searching given all the reports that have come in. Good luck.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:14 AM, matt said:

I heard the sonic boom from the Sutter's Mill meteorite and there were a bunch of pieces found. Lots of people searching everywhere in the Coloma/ Lotus area. I was in Lake Tahoe at the time and thought they were blasting with dynamite for avalanches, but it was much louder and you could actually feel the shock wave.

Wife and I heard the weirdest sound as it was breaking up overhead as we were under the strewn field. She witness the smoke trail, I didn't see it. Her brother saw it tracing across the sky in Mariposa. 

2 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Hopefully they find fragments in Skull Valley area. Cool name Skull meteorites.

I've been in and through that area many times. Definitely not easy terrain to hunt for meteorites. Hope they have success.

14 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Ran Doppler radar for the time period. Didn't see anything.

Does that mean there's no prospects of finding meteorites?  Just how reliable is Doppler for the meteorite community?

I wouldn't go by my research as I am not really good at using filters and still figuring out utc to local time, but yes, you can see the fall on radar. It was used at the Sutters Mill metorite strewn field with success.

That's a great location for serious hunters, i am sure Mr. Ward of Prescott is on the scene. I have a good friend that lives in Prescott and it just so happens that he's girl friends family owns a big ranch out that way, plus he has a military vehicle the Pinzgauer 6 wheel drive. We have had some good times off road with that thing and if I'm lucky i will tie some magnets to it and take a drive around the area. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GeoJack said:

I wouldn't go by my research as I am not really good at using filters and still figuring out utc to local time, but yes, you can see the fall on radar. It was used at the Sutters Mill metorite strewn field with success.

In AZ to convert local time to GMT, just add 7 hours. So event would have been 1417 GMT.

If you look at radar returns from 1720 or 1725, that's works great as you get a 20 minute loop.

Which radar soundings did you look at? Should be visible on several.

Edited by Edge