Nugget Shooter Forums

One of my absolute favorite strategies for strewn-fields (dry environments of course) is to attach some rare-earth magnets to the underside of my truck bed and drive, I pick up all sorts of random crap (plus a few tiny meteorite pieces). Please feel free to share your favorite strategies when searching a strewn-field!

• Hmmmmmm 1

Magnets on the underside of your truck bed? And just drive? And meteorites jump out of the ground to stick to the magnets?

What a strewn field strategy!

:25r30wi:

Might I ask what strewn field have you been successful in?

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Some of us were born at night. Just not last night.
  • Haha 1

Unless you're talking about Imlac, which then a sled might net you a piece or two.  But otherwise, complete nonsense.

• Like 1

I disagree Mike. All you need to do is snap some neo magnets on the bed of your truck and drive. Do donuts and stuff. Drive all over the strewn field. The meteorites will stick to the underside of the truck with other magnetic junk. Just park the truck over a tarp and take the magnets off the bed. The meteorites will fall off onto the tarp.

It turns your F-150 into a meteorite harvesting machine!

That is exactly how we hunted Glorieta. We just drove around the hills all day with magnets stuck to the fenders and cleaned the pallasites off the undercarriage when we stopped to get more gas.

I swear it's true!

"Feel free to share your favorite strategies when hunting a strewn field".

:rolleyes:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
The posers around here stand out like rat turds on a work bench don't they?
  • Haha 2

I feed my dog rare earth magnets and then make it run after my old car.

Dogs are lower to the ground and easier to flip over to check for meteorites than a truck.

Cats might work too but they have to be tied to the bumper to get them to follow you. I haven't tried the cat trick yet because I lost my bumper experimenting with cows and magnets. :inocent:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • well done 1
25 minutes ago, clay said:

I feed my dog rare earth magnets and then make it run after my old car.

Dogs are lower to the ground and easier to flip over to check for meteorites than a truck.

Cats might work too but they have to be tied to the bumper to get them to follow you. I haven't tried the cat trick yet because I lost my bumper experimenting with cows and magnets. :inocent:

A really low slung poodle in the "standing tail position" might locate a lost Spanish strewn field. Especially when hunting around burned areas where skilled masons collected diamonds from Venus.

My dog rolls over and let's me check his belly for meteorites all the time. Maybe I should add some neodymium to his diet?

• Like 3

How about feeding ants magnet filings to search for micrometeorites? That should would very well.

• Like 3

I found this online.

"The great H.H. Nininger, the father of meteorite hunters, fashioned a magnetic rake which he would tow behind his vehicle."

14 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I found this online.

"The great H.H. Nininger, the father of meteorite hunters, fashioned a magnetic rake which he would tow behind his vehicle."

You can drag a magnet at Holbrook and small pieces will stick. 

But you can't put magnets on a vehicle and expect any results at all. 

First the impulse power of a magnet is only an inch or two. If you are farther away than that you can't expect it to attract anything.

Secondly vehicles are only good on roads and on open areas. Even if meteorites could jump 2 feet to stick you couldn't drive a vehicle over them.

A magnetic rake puts magnets in contact with the ground and might reveal some particles. If you found particles it could indicate the presence of a strewn field. Then you could search with a magnet or detector in the usual fashion.

If you knew you were in a strewn field already you would be going backwards by dragging a magnet with a vehicle. You would not get the bigger pieces that were buried or stuck in hard pan. 

The idea that you could put magnets on the bed of a truck and attract anything at all is preposterous. The rake method might clue you in to a strewn field in the same way a gold pan might reveal a placer area. But once you get to that point the only way to find meteorites is by searching for them visually or possibly electronically. There are no shortcuts to finding them that I have ever heard of.

We used a Pulse Star detector with a big 4x4 square coil on the back of an ATV. We did find meteorites but in my opinion probably missed more than we hit. It was not much faster or easier than just swinging the detector and the setup would only get the big ones. So it is debatable whether that strategy was better than good old fashioned searching. 

A magnet is great to do a field test on a suspect stone. It is nearly worthless to attract stones you have not already visually identified as suspect. This is true for all the obvious reasons and several more that might not be so obvious. The same is true of electronic location. Trying to add a motorized means of moving the coil or magnet just multiplies the problem. IMHO the best and only way to hunt meteorites is on foot, by eye and with the help of a magnet or coil on a hand held pole.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You can drag a magnet at Holbrook and small pieces will stick. 

But you can't put magnets on a vehicle and expect any results at all. 

First the impulse power of a magnet is only an inch or two. If you are farther away than that you can't expect it to attract anything.

Secondly vehicles are only good on roads and on open areas. Even if meteorites could jump 2 feet to stick you couldn't drive a vehicle over them.

A magnetic rake puts magnets in contact with the ground and might reveal some particles. If you found particles it could indicate the presence of a strewn field. Then you could search with a magnet or detector in the usual fashion.

If you knew you were in a strewn field already you would be going backwards by dragging a magnet with a vehicle. You would not get the bigger pieces that were buried or stuck in hard pan. 

The idea that you could put magnets on the bed of a truck and attract anything at all is preposterous. The rake method might clue you in to a strewn field in the same way a gold pan might reveal a placer area. But once you get to that point the only way to find meteorites is by searching for them visually or possibly electronically. There are no shortcuts to finding them that I have ever heard of.

We used a Pulse Star detector with a big 4x4 square coil on the back of an ATV. We did find meteorites but in my opinion probably missed more than we hit. It was not much faster or easier than just swinging the detector and the setup would only get the big ones. So it is debatable whether that strategy was better than good old fashioned searching. 

A magnet is great to do a field test on a suspect stone. It is nearly worthless to attract stones you have not already visually identified as suspect. This is true for all the obvious reasons and several more that might not be so obvious. The same is true of electronic location. Trying to add a motorized means of moving the coil or magnet just multiplies the problem. IMHO the best and only way to hunt meteorites is on foot, by eye and with the help of a magnet or coil on a hand held pole.

The minute I saw this topic posted,  I immediately thought of what Nininger did decades ago. I just couldn't find the link, until now. 

I wasn't trying to imply attaching rare earth magnets to the undersides of a truck, then driving around and picking up meteorites would actually work. What I posted was similar in the sense that Nininger actually did use magnets to recover meteorites... however small they night have been.

I've seen a picture of Niningers truck and the rake. Just can't remember where it was.

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1

I got that Morlock.

My point was that Nininger did not use the rake to recover meteorites. He used it to reveal the presence of a strewn field. And it did not work very well at doing that.

I wasn't being critical of your post at all. Just trying to expand a bit on it. The takeaway here is that there is no "strewn field strategy" other than the tried and true method of visual searching and field testing suspect rocks.

• Like 2

Not to mention you don't want anyone driving all over a strewn field, running over meteorites and making them even more difficult to find.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Not to mention you don't want anyone driving all over a strewn field, running over meteorites and making them even more difficult to find.

I'm not sure where you could drive all over a strewn field. It would be unethical at best to just drive around off road. Illegal in most places. And in the strewn fields I am familiar with it would be quite impossible to drive anywhere off the road. You would be stuck or otherwise immobile.

Maybe out on a playa somewhere. In a 1974 Pinto covered in refrigerator magnets. Patiently gridding the entire area hoping a tiny fragment will jump up and stick.

This idea has become my absolute favorite strewn field strategy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I'm not sure where you could drive all over a strewn field. It would be unethical at best to just drive around off road. Illegal in most places. And in the strewn fields I am familiar with it would be quite impossible to drive anywhere off the road. You would be stuck or otherwise immobile.

Maybe out on a playa somewhere. In a 1974 Pinto covered in refrigerator magnets. Patiently gridding the entire area hoping a tiny fragment will jump up and stick.

This idea has become my absolute favorite strewn field strategy!

How did you know what I drive Bob? Have you been following me?  :200:

Did you see my dog? He slowed down (probably due to the heavy load of  metal trash) a few days ago and I seem to have lost him. :cry2:

If you see him let me know. I'm pretty sure he's got a few big pallasites with chronduleys and flow stuff - maybe even thumbprints - stuck to his belly. :yesss:

I drive drunk when I'm magnet hunting with the bumperless pinto cause you don't have to worry about tickets an stuff when your off road. Sometimes I forget about him following me when I'm really into the chase. :alcoholic:

Let me know if you see him - he comes to the name "dog" if you have food and he's hungry.