Nugget Shooter Forums

I just gave birth to a big chunk of hernia mesh. I have had a wad of that stuff that got displaced and formed a big knot about ten years ago.

This deer season it started giving me grief after packing my deer out. Mighty uncomfortable. 

I got imaging and it showed a big wad in the fold of my leg that looked just like the brow tine on that big buck. About an inch in diameter and a couple inches long. The point was just about in my scrotum and the butt end was over my femoral artery and vein.

No surgeon would touch it. It got worse as the weeks went by and I was frantic. My only option was to go to UCLA and try and get into a research program to remove it.

I finally found a cowboy with a sharp pocket knife to take it out today. He is an awesome trauma surgeon at the local hospital. He got (most) of it out and I am back home resting comfortably. He managed to save most of my nerves and muscle and didn't even kill me.

I know I have been a bit of a prick in the past three months. That is probably not going to change much but at least you guys know why. Now I expect a lot of sympathy because I am laying here like a gutted trout.

It will be six weeks before I can lift anything heavier than my big furry peaches. So if any of you guys have been entertaining fantasies of whipping my azz now is your chance. Your window of opportunity wont last long so make your travel plans now. Soon I will be up and around and as ornery as hell. 

The good news is I have nothing to do except gripe and preach for the next six weeks. So if any of you guys want to squabble I am your huckleberry.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • wow 2

Damn, sorry to hear you're all laid up :olddude:, I hope you heal fast and completely!!  :thumbsupanim

But now I'm feeling sorry for myself because now you can't do much but raise hell on the forum :putertired: and I have to moderate your A$$!!!  :Just_Cuz_15: :25r30wi:

• Haha 2

Dang, that is a bummer to say the least, but on the bright side i have a feeling there will be some interesting conversations around the corner. Get well soon Bob! In the mean time might as well raise a little hell. :evil1: 

ht

• Thanks 1

lot of law suits on hernia mesh  get well

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, hardtimehermit said:

Dang, that is a bummer to say the least, but on the bright side i have a feeling there will be some interesting conversations around the corner. Get well soon Bob! In the mean time might as well raise a little hell. :evil1: 

ht

Interesting may be an understatement. 

The surgeon is a brother from Jamaica. A young squirt about my son's age. He has been cutting for only about 6 years. He took a shitload of photos and has them on his phone. 

So I have some photos of the incision with the meshoma in situ and as he was cutting it out. Also a glamor shot of it sitting on a plate. Ugly rascal. But my baby nevertheless.

I invited him to go fishing with me on the condition he gut the fish. He jumped at the chance and told me he would love to. Then my son suggested we use my little giblet for catfish bait. 

We laughed and laughed. Then he said we could request it be returned to me. It would take 5 weeks. 

So... It looks like we have bait.

Sometimes the truth is much better than any lie you could make up. IMHO this is one. 

So this little thread might end with fish pictures. Maybe a fish fry with my new Jamaican fishing buddy that cut the bait from my belly. 

It just don't get weirder. So stay tuned!

• Like 1
  • well done 2

Bob your funniest and toughest man i have heard of, that story is amazing your right interesting is slightly an understatement. Thanks for sharing, it does not get more real or human than this thread. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Vit C ,collagen peptides  and beef broth should help things along.

Turmeric  should help ,too.

No good surgeons in New Mexico? Wtf

• Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Vit C ,collagen peptides  and beef broth should help things along.

Turmeric  should help ,too.

No good surgeons in New Mexico? Wtf

Great surgeons in New Mexico. IMHO I got one of the best there is. He did a hell of a good job.

FYI

Most private practice surgeons wont touch a meshoma no matter what state they practice in.

Think about it. Why would a surgeon take a job someone else screwed up? They would be risking a lot of business on a job that may very well end badly. 

There are a very few surgeons who have ever done it. The mesh attaches to organs and creates a mess that can involve lots of stuff down there. So most of these procedures are experimental and done in big universities that are developing data and statistics. The rest are done by trauma surgeons on an emergency basis.

Only the surgeon that placed it would consider removing it. In my case he retired 7 years ago. When I spoke to him he told me the same thing the rest of them did. "Go to UCLA or to MT. Sinai in New York. There is one guy in Las Vegas and a place in Hollywood.  Good luck!"

A trauma surgeon takes any mess that comes down the pike. They are paid by the hospital and their business does not rely on 100% reviews on social media. So they are willing to take the jobs the others are not. 

The guy that did my surgery cut his teeth in Chicago and is a super good guy. He is the head of the regional  trauma unit here and is considered one of the best in the southwest. He was willing to do it and many others were not. 

My criteria for a "good" surgeon is one that is willing to help even if the risk of failure is high. You can contrast this with a guy who has a perfect success rate and wont accept risk if you want to. I didn't have that luxury though. I had a problem that was mighty risky but not an emergency. So I got stuck with the crappy no good surgeon who saves lives even if they have to risk their perfect reputation.

I would kiss him on his fanny for taking the job. The alternative would have bankrupted me and sent me far from home to achieve the same outcome. So I am really happy with my shitty New Mexico surgeon!

• Like 3

Ok, I  misread/assumed you had  to go to UCLA,  but I guess you found a willing local.

Los Angeles is the pits, (no reference to gooey La Brea).

Rest easy, and thanks for  sharing... I had an inguinal hernia  repaired 23 years back with polyester mesh, so far so good.

Wow, that means every time we did that rugged 8 mile hike, or were out drywashing and digging, or sitting on the kayaks for hours, that sucker was in there!? Unreal man, I can’t imagine how good it must be to have it out!  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Caliche Chris said:

Wow, that means every time we did that rugged 8 mile hike, or were out drywashing and digging, or sitting on the kayaks for hours, that sucker was in there!? Unreal man, I can’t imagine how good it must be to have it out!  

Yup. Since we met I have had a deer antler sticking me in the belly every step. Attached to my nerves, abdominal muscles and other giblets. The top of it just under the belt line (thats why I wear suspenders and not a belt) and the point down near the goodies. 

The arthritis in the back was related to the foreign body in my belly too. I have that back problem for years and it got so bad the last year I almost got surgery. But when this mesh started swelling up the back got better. I think a lot of the inflammation in the back was related because I have zero back pain now. The first time in three years I have been able to stand or sit without pain in my back. It just went away about Thanksgiving when this mesh decided to swell up.

The doctor said that the junk in my belly could have caused an immune reaction that could set off swelling in joints. So my tendonitis in the wrists and arthritis in the back could have been aggravated by the wad of mesh. 

As soon as I can muck again we need to go dig holes! And yeah...the kayak was like sitting with a pistol in my belt. It poked me in the belly on one end and in the groin on the other. So I have been working with that handicap since the day we met on this forum many moons ago.

• Like 1
  • wow 1

"Now I expect a lot of sympathy because I am laying here like a gutted trout."

You're still breathing. . .  a gutted trout. . .  Not so much!! :action-smiley-068[1]:    You will be up and around in no time...:olddude:. . .    :4chsmu1:

Give yourself time to heal up.  Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Thanks 1

Get well bob life gets in the way sometimes. :2drink:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, frank c said:

Get well bob life gets in the way sometimes. :2drink:

Thanks Frank.

Im doing really well. Already better than before the surgery. I'll be on light duty for a while but I feel great.

I should have had this taken out years ago. The first surgery put me down for weeks and was just horrible. I didn't get it fixed for ten years because it was so bad. This time was a completely different experience in every way. 

I just can't believe the difference in the way the surgeon and the hospital handled it. The initial surgery was a horror show from start to finish and they screwed up the job. Afterward they stuck a pain pill in my mouth and wheeled me to the curb. Then it was nothing but denials and excuses. 

This time I was treated like royalty and they really took care of me before and after the surgery. They made sure I was OK before releasing me and gave me good instructions in case things got weird. They call and check up on me and answer any questions. The difference in the care and the outcome is like night and day. 

I'll probably have some lasting pain and discomfort but they honestly did the best they could given the circumstances. They really tried hard to insure I got the best care they could give me. 

• Like 2