Nugget Shooter Forums
WillM

Could these be quartz meteorites?

I am putting this here because i found 4 different stones in different places with the same characteristics. I found them in places humans don't go frequently.

The first thing they have in common is a rounded shield shape and a flat, lipped back. They also have a murky crust on the forward end. 

The elongated one has pits. I grinded an edge indicated by the green arrow and it was clear underneath the crust. I have another one not pictured that attracts a magnet.

Either these quartz pebbles were all broken the same way in the same area or these are quartz meteorites.

Here is a meteorite they look like:

http://www.meteorites.com.au/features/iron.html

Before you say it's slag, how is it crusted on one side?

Please if anyone has any idea who I should contact or how else to go about proving them it would be appreciated.

There has to be a machine that can analyze these bad boys.

Thanks.

Specific gravity 2.65

20200212_113647.jpg

20200212_113222.jpg

20200212_113153.jpg

Edited by WillM
Sg
  • Sad 1
  • Irritated 1

Nope. 

• Like 1

Dude, come on.

This is getting ridiculous.  Wait, already been there, this is ridiculouser.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

Nope. 

22 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

Dude, come on.

This is getting ridiculous.  Wait, already been there, this is ridiculouser.

It couldn't hurt to ask. Actually the only thing I can do is get a mineral test on the one that attracts a magnet.

you would be wise to read about gems, minerals and meteorites.  You should also consider joining a club that could help you.  Some people come to this  site for advice and then do not take what is offered and want to argue.:grr01:

image.jpeg

I'm starting to think WillM is a teenager.

Edited by GeoJack

I believe he is the person he posted in the BMX video of himself doing BMX tricks.  I don't think he looked like a teenager, more in his 40s, but I could be wrong.

I do believe each time we respond to him, we feed him.  At first he was entertaining, now, not so much.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pondmn said:

you would be wise to read about gems, minerals and meteorites.  You should also consider joining a club that could help you.  Some people come to this  site for advice and then do not take what is offered and want to argue.:grr01:

Wow, it made me think it could be, big deal, I always take what is offered, however this time nobody wants to even make a crude arguement why not. Whatever, it doesn't matter, I just find rocks that look like meteorites a lot.

Want to know what a good response to my question would be?:

"No WillM tertiary quartz is often found rounded on end by river flow while it was buried. The rind you see is typical of weathered quartz rock. Broken rocks are common. If it were a meteorite, the back would have a rind as well. There are no known quartz meteorites. If you even did have one, finding a researcher interested in classifying it for you would be difficult. 

Try a different approach, it is nearly impossible to identify a meteorite from photo alone. Send it out if you are so curious, but they will all say the same thing I have said."

Or something.

I like the community here and the feedback is harsh but it helped sharpen me up for finding them.

19 minutes ago, GeoJack said:

image.jpeg

12 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I believe he is the person he posted in the BMX video of himself doing BMX tricks.  I don't think he looked like a teenager, more in his 40s, but I could be wrong.

I do believe each time we respond to him, we feed him.  At first he was entertaining, now, not so much.

Actually I am 31, things will be more entertaining once I have the Venusian isotope data.

U of m emailed me before christmas break saying they were having a "fun time" with it. They sounded like they were working on it everyday. So U of M has to work months to ID slag? Yeah right.

Sorry to everyone for being annoying, I won't post again until I have harder data.

:)

Edited by WillM
Typo

3 hours ago, WillM said:

I just find rocks that look like meteorites a lot.

I disagree, nothing you have posted looks anything like a meteorite.

3 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

Exactly.

Will

Not one rock you have ever posted has any meteoritic characteristics at all. Except for the one piece of tramp iron for the reasons I tried to explain to you.

16 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

Oh well, the photos are 2D with a phone camera. Some of the surfaces are camouflaged. Curves and lips don't show up on some. Not all meteorites are good enough looking to identify on the spot. All it really takes is to check for weird rocks. The 3 potential iron ones I had were stolen unfortunately by crackheads. Unfortunately nobody has seen every meteorite so nobody is the expert on shape. As far as type, these would be the rarest types on top like a mesosiderite. Different atoms make different shapes when they boil. Boiling, by the way, is when the chemical pressure exceeds the atmospheric pressure, on top of ablation, we are talking an organized mess.

I already have confirmation that the way I describe them verbally is meteoric just not pictures. A company I sent some to, told me to get a second opinion. That means they don't know what they are talking about. It really is a rabbit hole of crap I wish would end soon. Hopefully with confirmation. The test I got done at U of M was an extraction and they have somehow taken 4 months to deliver results so we will see.

Edited by WillM
Typo

18 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Exactly.

Will

Not one rock you have ever posted has any meteoritic characteristics at all. Except for the one piece of tramp iron for the reasons I tried to explain to you.

That piece of iron had a specific gravity of 3.3 way under a piece of iron. Way above an earth rock. And it had a weathering rind. 

2 hours ago, WillM said:

That piece of iron had a specific gravity of 3.3 way under a piece of iron. Way above an earth rock. And it had a weathering rind. 

Huh. Here I thought all these earth rocks I’ve found with a SG of 19.32 were earth rocks.

10 hours ago, d_day said:

Huh. Here I thought all these earth rocks I’ve found with a SG of 19.32 were earth rocks.

Here is a video of the rock I am talking about. It has meteoric features but it looks like a weathered piece of concrete. This I found very recently and is one of my better finds.

Keep looking down, they are out there.

Edited by WillM
Typo

Will, lol, please hold off on that phrase until you’ve found one. Magical and helpful phrases like “keep looking down they are out there” and “gold is where you find it” are only meant to be used by guys who have actually found it. You can’t go around telling people that if you’ve never found one, your trying to sound like your an old veteran meteorite hunter now just because your obsessed with the subject but not any of the facts about it. Your going to tell someone that phrase and get them all excited about meteorites and then show them a hunk of asphault saying it’s a meteorite and it will be detrimental to anyone who wants to learn about the subject.  You are spreading the opposite of knowledge. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Caliche Chris said:

Will, lol, please hold off on that phrase until you’ve found one. Magical and helpful phrases like “keep looking down they are out there” and “gold is where you find it” are only meant to be used by guys who have actually found it. You can’t go around telling people that if you’ve never found one, your trying to sound like your an old veteran meteorite hunter now just because your obsessed with the subject but not any of the facts about it. Your going to tell someone that phrase and get them all excited about meteorites and then show them a hunk of asphault saying it’s a meteorite and it will be detrimental to anyone who wants to learn about the subject.  You are spreading the opposite of knowledge. 

I was just trying to be funny, lol i actually just found my first chondrite, the most common type out there. It sticks to a strong magnet and its specific gravity is 3.2. I grinded an edge indicatedby the arrow and there are more rusted flecks inside. It is speckled with white parts. It looks like a terrestrial rock but is kind of weird shaped.

This fits every description I have found of a chondrite.

Any of the other ones I found need the deeper tests because they are unknown if they are real.

So I have atleast found this chondrite. I will look for rocks every day everywhere until I die don't you understand? It's just my hobby. 

20200214_103945.jpg

20200214_103932.jpg

20200214_103927.jpg

20200214_103921.jpg

20200214_104004.jpg

Lol, it was pretty funny , I chuckled in disbelief when I read it. It’s not as funny as that “chondrite” knee slapper you just told though

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Caliche Chris said:

Lol, it was pretty funny , I chuckled in disbelief when I read it. It’s not as funny as that “chondrite” knee slapper you just told 

I honestly don't care who thinks it is a meteorite or not, I was just posting in the off chance that someone could help. Still nobody has told me why the broken quartz pebbles cannot be meteorites. Meteorites are everywhere if you know how to look. I have found meteorwrongs where they shouldn't be and I am living proof and can only rely on my own integrity to narrow down what I have. Mineral tests are like DNA tests versus an element test like I originally posted. So soon enough we will know who the father is lol.

And the chondrite shouldn't be higher than 3.0 specific gravity if it was terrestrial. It probably looks like I find rocks just to post them here, when in reality these are just the few that look like ones already discovered. I could post a lump of crap that is a meteorite and get the same responses, though the lump of crap will look less like a meteorite.

Edited by WillM
Typo

11 minutes ago, Caliche Chris said:

Lol, it was pretty funny , I chuckled in disbelief when I read it. It’s not as funny as that “chondrite” knee slapper you just told though

I also know I sent one to a museum and they said it was basalt. However they did not clean the rock off, leading me to believe they analyzed the dirt on the rock?

I left the dirt on the rock to preserve the science. The rock even ended up having a natural hole. So I will take peoples opinion based on their explaination, just because I am a geek.

• Haha 1

Look homeboy, i think you could use a long ride on your bmx bike and sweat out some of those toxins in your blood. Your examples are not worthy. :zzzzz:

• Like 1

Second set of pics reminds me of a volcanic, desert varnished, water worn cobble, where the softer minerals have worn/eroded/dissolved away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

Look homeboy, i think you could use a long ride on your bmx bike and sweat out some of those toxins in your blood. Your examples are not worthy. :zzzzz:

1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Second set of pics reminds me of a volcanic, desert varnished, water worn cobble, where the softer minerals have worn/eroded/dissolved away.

Since we are on the topic of my first confirmed meteorite. Here are photos of the one single only other good looking rock that I have had that I have had someone on a website tell me they think it is a meteorite. I would have to admit it has a classic meteorite look with nice thin flowlines. It appears brecciated. It has a 3.3 density and is attracted to a weak magnet. 

*that didn't get stolen*

20200214_162421_mirror.jpg

image3A8899_mirror.jpg

image3A8900_mirror.jpg

image3A8901_mirror.jpg

image3A8907_mirror.jpg

Edited by WillM
Typos

A classic meteorite look?

It has a classic terrestrial basalt look. No way that is a meteorite. 

It has no flow lines. Neither is it brecciated. You seem to be confused about what those terms mean.

No iron. No chondrules. No fusion crust. Obviously a terrestrial volcanic and a simple field test would prove that. Why don't you learn that test and perform it? We have explained it to you many times. You should take the first step toward being a meteorite hunter and learn that test! 

Or you could just keep on posting common rocks and pretending they are meteorites. 

:idunno:

• Like 1