Nugget Shooter Forums
WillM

Could these be quartz meteorites?

3 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

A classic meteorite look?

It has a classic terrestrial basalt look. No way that is a meteorite. 

No iron. No chondrules. No fusion crust. Obviously a terrestrial volcanic and a simple field test would prove that. Why don't you learn that test and perform it? We have explained it to you many times. You should take the first step toward being a meteorite hunter and learn that test! 

I grinded an edge with a diamond tip and it had metallic flecks in it indicated by the green line, a basalt is not metallic, that is the field test? Please let me know if it is more than this website. It leaves a light gray streak but it is weathered.

"Look at the cut surface from several different angles, if you can see shiny metal flakes scattered throughout the stone, it may well be a meteorite. If the interior is plain then it is probably a wrong." http://meteorite-identification.com/streak.html

20200214_164741.jpg

WillM,

It is clearly not a meteorite. It has standard terrestrial pits and holes untypical of meteorites. The surface is entirely consistent of terrestrial surfaces and unlike meteorites. There are no flow lines only typical weathered terrestrial varnish. The white sections resemble calcium deposits, but even if not they are not what you would expect to find on a meteoritic surface. Basalt typically has metal in it and your rock from the pics looks like standard basalt. I usually find terrestrial basalt being moderately magnetic.

Please only post pics that a professional expert has confirmed is a meteorite.

billpeters

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, billpeters said:

WillM,

It is clearly not a meteorite. It has standard terrestrial pits and holes untypical of meteorites. The surface is entirely consistent of terrestrial surfaces and unlike meteorites. There are no flow lines only typical weathered terrestrial varnish. The white sections resemble calcium deposits, but even if not they are not what you would expect to find on a meteoritic surface. Basalt typically has metal in it and your rock from the pics looks like standard basalt. I usually find terrestrial basalt being moderately magnetic.

Please only post pics that a professional expert has confirmed is a meteorite.

billpeters

Thanks.

I have a rock I am not posting that looks like a broken piece of cement that is magnetic throughout. It also has clasts that look like the supposed meteorwrongs I have posted. Unless they make cement that has chunks of rusty slag that stick out like a meteorite, I know it is one just on common sense. Not that it would matter but I am telling you I have a crazy enough rock to warrant further research. 

Another big thing is that I have yet to send a possible meteorite sample to a university, they do the real work.

Edited by WillM
Typo

1 hour ago, WillM said:

I grinded an edge with a diamond tip and it had metallic flecks in it indicated by the green line, a basalt is not metallic, that is the field test? Please let me know if it is more than this website. It leaves a light gray streak but it is weathered.

"Look at the cut surface from several different angles, if you can see shiny metal flakes scattered throughout the stone, it may well be a meteorite. If the interior is plain then it is probably a wrong." http://meteorite-identification.com/streak.html

20200214_164741.jpg

What you are seeing is not metallic. It is sub metallic. You have a chunk of common iron rich basalt. Nothing more.

Just now, Bedrock Bob said:

What you are seeing is not metallic. It is sub metallic. You have a chunk of common iron rich basalt. Nothing more.

Thanks for the input. I believe you, it does have lipped curved rimmed edges like it flew out of a volcano lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Relichunter2016 said:

:89::2mo5pow::barnie:

Here is a piece of concrete that holds magnets everywhere. Sorry if you have a problem I know it's not concrete, too bad. Name one thing it could be?

:excl:

20200215_150515.jpg