Nugget Shooter Forums
GotAU?

Favorite Reference Materials

OK here’s my favorite. It is full of terms that you read about in descriptions of mines, mineralogy and geomorphology.

Dictionary of Geological Terms: Third Edition (Rocks, Minerals and Gemstones). ISBN 0-385-18101-9

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0385181019/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MYfqEb2GVV5AY

7DCDB2D4-F8F9-4CB2-9C1F-881E2E1D3A2A.jpeg

0DA97BC9-2CBB-480C-9F1C-28E184D68BBC.jpeg

Post what you like to use as well.

Edited by GotAU?
Photos added

ge·o·mor·phol·o·gy

/ˌjēōˌmôrˈfäləjē/

noun

the study of the physical features of the surface of the earth and their relation to its geological structures.

From  Oxford dict..........

Understanding geomorphology helps one to know how and where alluvial deposits (placers!) form, what landforms are most likely to indicate certain types of strata, to recognize faults and to merely know and appreciate a simple landscape that much more.  I have references to more academic  books on it from college, but a simple google search and a basic book on it would be helpful and interesting for those just learning about it.

On 2/13/2020 at 5:56 PM, GotAU? said:

Understanding geomorphology helps one to know how and where alluvial deposits (placers!) form, what landforms are most likely to indicate certain types of strata, to recognize faults and to merely know and appreciate a simple landscape that much more.  I have references to more academic  books on it from college, but a simple google search and a basic book on it would be helpful and interesting for those just learning about it.

That is all way above my head. 

What is "placers"?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

That is all way above my head. 

What is "placers"?

Placer deposits are stream or other gravity deposited minerals.  You might be down low in a recent streambed working fine gold for example,  and miss older stream channels with richer and more coarse placer deposits higher up on the bank if you don’t know what to look for.

I was mapping the geology in a canyon a long time ago in field school, and we found a place with out of place rocks that obviously rolled down from a slide up higher in the canyon.  It had quartz and pyrite in some of the rocks and one of the students hiked up the side of the canyon to find where it came out of.  Pretty low grade gold ore if anything, but it was pretty.  Knowing some basics about rocks and geomorphology helps in the search! :)

Edited by GotAU?
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a good free PDF textbook on the fundamentals of geomorphology -

Some interesting material, especially the parts about how stream deposits are layered and exposed, how faults expose different layers along hillsides (scarps) and how they fill in, etc.  All good stuff for those that want to search:

Fundamentals of Geography (free ebook): http://www.ndma.gov.pk/tools/vkc/vkc/Geomorphology/eBooks/1.pdf

Edited by GotAU?
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

That helps a lot. I always wanted to try and find some gold but just didn't know where to start. This makes me want to learn more about it.

Maybe someday I will find some too!

• Like 1